It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:50 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: MOUL Memories
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:10 am 
Obduction Backer

This is a thread for the good memories, the little stories, in-character or out, that made MOUL so unique, so precious, so wonderful. Whatever your opinion of GameTap’s final decision, of the official storyline, of the quality of the icebergs in Dereno, or even Douglas Sharper’s mustache, you must have some stories to tell. Tell them here.

Solving Ahnonay with Old Friends
I’m not much of a social explorer, so I wasn’t thrilled to learn that Ahnonay had become a mult-player puzzle. But following a suggestion I found in the forums, I created an alternate avatar just to get me through. As I got ready to begin the final journey, I saw an old buddy online: Toh’mas, who I first met six years ago in the very first Uru (then Mudpie/Parable) incarnation, the Choru beta test. I gave him a holler and we soon met - whereupon I spotted ireenquench online, and gave her a holler as well. She had already made it through, but agreed to meet us and give it a go.

The rest of the story is just the normal route to Ahnonay’s solution - but what a wonderful journey, as my robot avatar sent us into the fourth sphere and we joked and bantered our way through Kadish’s fiendish last puzzles. We didn’t play it seriously in-character, but we respected the reality of where we were and what we were doing - always my favorite way of playing MOUL. It re-awoke the wonder Uru had instilled in me so long ago. Thanks, toh’mas and ireen - you were great companions.

Scaring Ruby O’Degee in Real Time
This one may have less meaning on this board than on the DRC board, where some of the in-character part of the story unfolded, but here it is anyways. Last summer, I was quite intrigued by the possibilities that the pellets presented, in that they could be used for both “good” and “evil.” It didn’t seem like Cyan was going to do much with the “evil” side, however, so I decided to create my own. Thus, the Guardians of the Lake were born. The backstory of the Guardians and some of the plans I made can be found here, as told in-character by Vali, one of the characters I created for the in-cavern story. The point was to use the explosive potential of pellets to create a true force of evil, centered on a character who sought the destruction of the cavern. Credible? Well, not really, in that we all know that explosive pellets cannot wreck MOUL. But boy, can they ever explode!!! And so with formulae for various levels of explosions in hand, I set out to tell a story of evil, betrayal, redemption, and sacrifice.

Alas, the story was a complete disaster, as I vowed (to myself) to conduct the story in-cavern (literally) as much as possible, but this was all done between episodes and the cavern was virtually empty. I even developed a way of broadcasting explosions in-cavern, with the intent of having a final denouement consisting of a chase and a final explosive conclusion.

So why relate the story of something that didn’t work? Because there was one part that worked wonderfully, and it showed the potential that MOUL had for storytelling outside the bounds of Cyan’s official canon . The occasion was an interview conducted by Ruby O’Degee, an (in-character) intrepid reporter associated with the Cavern Communications Network, with one of the Guardians, the character of Vali. As part of the interview, Vali offered to show Ruby one of the milder explosions, and so they made their way to the Uran silo. Vali assured Ruby that the explosion would cause no harm, but the pellet he dropped produced the most powerful explosion instead. Vale expressed amazement and hurriedly ended the interview - all to the consternation of Ruby.

What was so wonderful was to take another character, in this case Ruby, and draw her through a little mini-drama, having it all occur in real time and with only one party privy to the script. Yes, this “drama” had an audience of one, but her reaction (we communicated via Skype) was so realistic and totally in-character. Thanks, Ruby, wherever you are, for being such a wonderful audience.

Both of those stories, for me, show MOUL at its best. They only touched a few people, but there must be so many more stories, touching so many more people.

Tell us some of those tales.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:52 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

One of my happiest memories was doing garden door runs. I still laugh when I think back to the time they first appeared. Hours spent trying to first figure them out, but then trying to get everyone to do their part at the right time. Problem was, everyone was joking and laughing so much that it never quite made it. One in particular lasted for 4 hours...and we still didn't make it! :shock: But - it was so much fun and the shortest 4 hours spent in game that I can remember. :lol:

My dearest memories however, are simply the people I've met. The community is the best. Without it I would never have had the priviledge of meeting Pepsi, who was with us for such a short while, but will remain in my heart forever. I have met the most wonderful people through my journey, bringing me friendships that I expect will last a lifetime, and many more memories yet to be made - online or not. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:41 pm 
Obduction Backer

Solving Ahnonay for the first time on live
I'd solved it in PotS, of course. But It had been a long time. And as I looked at the new version of the puzzle, I realized that I'd never really understood how Ahnonay worked. Rather, I'd just muddled through it. But trying to retrace my steps, I had to figure out what Ahnonay was actually doing. I gained a new respect for Ahnonay and whomever designed it after all of that.

Running through Minkata with Eleri
When Minkata came out, Eleri and I linked into the same instance to figure it out. I immediately started working out the vectors based off of the compass points. In fact, I worked out a way of drawing each leg of the path exactly using Illustrator and then put them end to end. I drew a line to the end, then just ran directly there. Of course, once I got to all of them, I had no idea what to do. Eleri picked it up immediately, however. We make a good team. No Myst puzzle has ever lasted more than a day against us.

Watching the community figure out Negilahn
Say what you want about the pod ages, I was absolutely fascinated by watching the community figure it out. Watching people going to figruing out the day period of the age by observation was astounding, and then people figruing out that the pods were in the same age (before the map came out) has always deeply impressed me.

Scars
I liked Scars. It was everything that an episode should have been. I still remember walking in the door after work to Eleri telling me "They killed her. The Bahro killed Wheely."

Jalak with the Great Tree
A bunch of Great Tree members ended up in a Jalak instance when it first came out. It was so much fun kicking the blocks around, and watching them bounce off of my head when I was in the middle of the board.

MOULagain KI#27460 - Second Life: Vax Sirnah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:45 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
I never intended to socialize in Uru; I was just there for the puzzles. Heck, I was even afraid of meeting people; afraid they'd make fun of my awkward newbieness. But, I went to the city out of curiosity. I was amused by the multi-avatar monster we created at the Ferry Terminal link-in when it was the only one open. I saw people sitting on an invisible ledge on the Great Stairs landing and desperately wanted to try it myself, but was too afraid of revealing my lack of skills to try. I remember seeing names like sil_oh_wet that I recognized from years of lurking in the Myst/Uru forums, and was doubly intimidated. So, I just hung back and observed, just happy to be there, enjoying this completely awesome new experience. No one talked to me and for that I was grateful.

I eventually found my way to the Guild of Greeters' Bevin where everyone was so warm and friendly, I finally relaxed a bit. I'm sure that a lot of the greeters I know now were there at the time, but my first memory is of Roland of Gilead telling me about a Pink Pajama Party they'd just held recently. Later on, I would meet Kon'Dor and Yellowdog and have fond memories of standing between them as they greeted newcomers and answered explorers' questions. (Little did I know at the time that I was in defacto training to join their ranks later on.)

I also found my way to A Beginner's Bevin and enjoyed the orientations given by the awesome ResEngs there. They put up with a lot of teasing by the explorers and handled it deftly with great humor and playfulness. Still shy, I hung back and enjoyed the IC banter such as vid asking about the location of the cafeteria and how to get pizza delivered to the cavern. It was there that I met great people like LdyDrgn (who I miss), Pixel & Resolute Guardian (who are still my friends) and JWPlatt - another name I recognized from the forums (but fortunately, I didn't recall any specific posts by him or I would have been way too intimidated to reply when he spoke to me). Then came Delin and many a late night laughing and having fun during door openings with my new friends.

Bouncing back and forth between the GoG and BB hoods in the early days, I quickly became friends with Yellowdog and JWPlatt and juggling their PMs made me crazy, so I suggested we start our own hood so I could talk to them at the same time. We went to Eder Kemo to make our plans and come up with a name for our hood. We wanted Firefly, but it was taken and eventually settled on Revelations. And, those are just my memories through February.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:02 am 
Obduction Backer

This thread needs to be bumped up. I've been trying to think about what I could add, but it's hard to think of something specific to write about. I was slow to enter into the society of the Cavern and too shy and fond of my solitude to build the kind of friendships most people did here. The forum was always a bit more comfortable to me. After more than a year in the Cavern I had only just begun; I thought there would still be plenty of time. But I still think of all of you as my friends, and here are a few of my good memories.

Relayers. I must have missed just about every episode "happening" that happened, but it was a hoot and a half hanging out with the other Relayers during the episode slack times. What a great bunch! Trying to keep up with Age Chat, Hood Chat and PMs could run you ragged, but was it ever fun! And you should have seen them when somebody spotted a DRC person or someone on the "watch" list: Boom! It was down to business in an instant. Someday we'll find the Chocolate Age!

The Day of Dancing. Delightful from beginning to end! I will never forget the "Special Appearance" in Payiferen. And dancing under the stars in Minkata. And finding Tetsonot's true destiny as a night club. Were we really that witty? Or just punchy?

My first Payiferen sunset. I was listening to music (It might have been my first Lord Chaos shoutcast; there was a party somewhere) and absolutely mesmerized by the changing light and the stars coming out.

Scars. Running to the Library and looking up to see a Bahro on the roof making that unholy screech. Terrifying! The worry and disjointed conversation around the spiral stair as they figured out Wheely wasn't there, and then running back with everyone to the Great Stair as we collectively realized something was really happening, and it was not good. Experiencing that instant camaraderie with strangers that happens in emergencies. Very real.

Eder Delin, Day 1. Setting foot in Eder Delin for the very first time. It was New. Entirely New. And so beautiful. That day it seemed like the beginning of fulfillment of the dream of Uru. And who could forget those early attempts to open the door, the hours of silliness and laughter?

Uru Life meeting.
I never dreamed there was so much to be learned about this community we have been building. It was supposed to be the first forum of many. We were beginning to plan the second when the sad news was announced.

Memories are crowding upon me now - Puzzlers, wonderful Ahnonay adventures with so many people, the first time the heavens moved in Minkata, many more - but this is getting too long, and it is late.

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:13 am 
Obduction Backer

Oh, the fun things.. the first time I helped solve a garden age.. Delin. It had just come out, and we kept shuffling, tying to get numbers arranged, trying to pull it off even despiter the magnetic cloth bug... and then we finally clicked it. And the door slid open, and everyone piled in. That was one of those things to remember.

Scars. Everyone piled into the city and the hoods, all waiting with hearts in their throats, to see what happened to a fictional character.. and caring as if it was a real person, moreso someone they knew personally. And to many of us, we did know Wheely and had seen her about.

That sudden realization in a pod talking with Carl as we discussed, and came to the realization that there were indeed two groups of bahro... and bahro at war, with us caught in the middle. It felt like we'd unlocked the entire mystery. It made sense. And it was scary.

And the best memory of them all.. the first day of Live, after the open beta... everyone pouring into the caverns, into the city.. packing the place full and kicking up the lag.. but singing and dancing and chatting and a grand time had by all. I remember.. up in the plaza, people around.. I stood at the top of the great stairs and looked out over the lake, out at the arch and beyond. And I clearly remember my first thought: "I'm home."
The cavern is my home.. I'm not going to give up hope. And even if they kick us out and we never return in any way, we still have a community.
Uru is more than the cavern, Uru is more than the game, Uru is more than Cyan made it. Uru is all of us, the community, the explorers and Cyan and the Myst fans and everyone. Uru is all of us.
As long as we're here and remember, Uru will never die.

MOULa KI: #00027582
Welcome back all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:58 pm 
Obduction Backer

Gondar wrote:
I stood at the top of the great stairs and looked out over the lake, out at the arch and beyond. And I clearly remember my first thought: "I'm home."

QFT.

Geez, favorite memories... unfortunately I'm a bit behind everyone else here in terms of recollections of this iteration of Live due to computer incompatibilities that kept me from playing at home until June, so I watched from the sidelines through the release of Delin, Tsogahl, Neghilan, and Dereno, the tragedy of Scars, and the return of Phil Henderson. I also spent some time from March through May as a ResEng, and have plenty of fond memories from that experience, some of which I'm actually allowed to share, I think, so I'll start with those. ;)

My first orientation
After getting an incredibly warm welcome from everyone in BB on my first day, I got to fly solo on the last couple of orientations of the night. I really need to see if someone still has transcripts of that (note to self, poke Calli), because it was so much fun, and we were all being more than a little silly. I remember someone asking me where babies come from... that was a good question. ;)

Vid's Pod Portal Party Part 2
Dogherra and I snuck into this one on a lazy Saturday afternoon in the Cavern, and it was an absolute riot. There were easily 40 people in Neghilan, and watching the theme-park-perfect line of people waiting for vid in the UO 'hood for the next leg of the trip is still one of the funniest things I've ever seen. Plus, we managed to break the portal appearance for Tetsonot during our "lightswitch rave", which was equally as funny, despite the support headache it caused ;).

10:00 Orientations
Y'all are nuts. That's all I'm sayin'.

Tracking bugs with Resolute Guardian and Calliope
I swear, if there's a jump-able invisible wall or sticking point in any of the Ages in Uru, these two found it. I can't even begin to tell you how many times I had to rescue one of them from being stuck in a railing... and then there was the time Res solved my Kadish for me after asking him to help me verify a sharing bug...

Spending all day in BB
There was also the set of orientations that had me "trapped" in BB for over 4 hours straight (and not a bathroom in sight!) because there was such a flood of newcomers with so many questions to ask that every orientation just flowed into the next. Certainly a grueling experience (you wouldn't think so, but typing as fast as you can for 4 straight hours and coming up with answers that newcomers will understand is really draining), but also a lot of fun. I loved being able to do something like that for new players every day I was scheduled to run orientations, and it was easily my favorite part of being a ResEng.

My last orientation
After spending almost an hour trying to kick a cone onto the front desk in the Classroom with Res, Calli, ResEng Dreschel, and ResEng Keely, I ran my last orientation, which lasted over 90 minutes and saw the creation of "Mr. Cone", who was very helpful (and also kind of cranky, but it was past his bedtime ;)). That was a lot of fun too... lots of good questions.

Solving Minkata with/against Cowart
We're such boy scouts, hehe. We solved the conversion together (wrong, initially, which led to some rather humorous results involving me and a certain yellow flag with "3125" printed on it in D'ni), and then it turned into a race to see who could get through it first once we figured out where we went wrong. Sadly, I don't even remember who won... maybe neither of us did.

Waiting in line for Ahnonay
Good gravy, I've never seen so many people. Despite the lag and the long wait, an absurd number of people still stood in line to wait for their turn to use the Book, and practically everyone was jovial and polite the entire time. It's still one of the most bizarre things I've ever experienced in a game (and definitely ranks right up there with the Pod Portal Party for humor). The videos of it also got a good-natured chuckle out of a few co-workers later that week.

Helping folks through Ahnonay
Being perhaps one of the only people in my small circle of friends who can keep the whole of Ahnonay in their head at all times while running the Age, I ended up helping a few others through the Age's linking sequence from start to finish, and had the pleasure of being the random stranger needed to get a few other people into Sphere 4 as well.

Discussing the Guilds
This may seem kinda stuffy to some, but I truly enjoyed the All Guilds meetings we had in Kirel, and I want to thank everyone there for tolerating my stubborn attempts to push the Guild of Archivists into their DRC-approved group ;). It really was fun, working to establish our own rules and regulations. I know that this work will continue, and I will do my best to be at the February 15th meeting, but I'm not sure yet how or if the GoA will fit into the do-it-yourself plans that the other Guilds have for Uru right now, so for now I'll just say, thank you for the experience.

[edit] I remembered Keely's name, whee! Also, one last fond memory is of LC and ireen's Minkata Chill party. That was a lot of fun, and I'm hoping to make it to the last one whenever it gets scheduled.

Last edited by Alahmnat on Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:32 pm 

Thanks Zardoz for starting this. I have fond memories of your avatar on the old Ubi boards when you were portrayed as one of my crushes Sean Connery with "that" hairy chest. Oh how I longed to catch up with that fictional character and lay some duct tape across it. :twisted: hehe

Okay, now for the mushy parts.

Prologue dance parties in Amber Horizons hood with Sudre, Yatgirl, Matrix, emrys, leelee, Rhodman and others that I've forgotten. The silly, crazy giggling.

UU Just having friends again to hang out with in the hood. Having friends do my ages, and helping newbies do their ages. That's so much fun explaining how things work, helping them find the solution rather than giving them the solution on a platter. Sharing the joy of exploring with them. Hugs to Moietay

MOUL Sharing the exploring of Minkata with Paul, with Rik, with Dahn, with friends who I'd known from the forums, and from UU. Such a joy to explore, to ponder what is this for? Is it a red herring? Doing Ahonay with Paul, finally, as it was meant to be done: multiplayer. Bringing 10 people to my Relto, and all having a chat, taking pictures, and then linking through to Gahreeson, or Gira for a game of hide-n-seek. There are other memories I'd love to share, but can't. *sigh*

I miss the good time we had with our close groups.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:48 pm 

The Last Page

Oh my goodness to gracious sakes...I just knew it. Zardoz, you were Vali! You were Vali, but I only knew this fact because you and Brett are two of the finest shared universe storytellers I've ever read. I mean I'd been reading you guys' stuff (posts) for years, and I only imagined that someday the overly zealous, a little too peppy, and over-the-top drama reporter, wanna be gueen Ruby would get a chance to participate in some small way in one your stories.

I got way more than that. I got the jolt of a immersion story experience that I've been telling many a student about since. In fact, its become part of my curriculum to share with students and teachers. How you set it up to be so real takes the kind of experience that only comes with shared universe experience, humor and art. You live well your status of being cavern explorer #1.

The trip out to the ovens was amazing! I am so pleased that you decided to confess about your identity, because no one would tell me for sure. I have gone for months second guessing, but it was the kind of second guessing that comes with never getting to the last page of a really darn good book. Truth? I am miserable about putting the book down. I hoped every explorer should get the chance to be part of a fully immersive cavern story, once in a d'niverse life time. It remains my opinion that if all subscribers did, there would be too many subscriptions to process.

As an aside - also thank you for the Liaison election story (adding much needed humor), the pellet story, stories you participated in during prologue, and any other stories that got signed Zardoz.

Best and Funny Friends

Other highlights on MOUL included being part of the very funny, always ready to self-deprecate for the sake of humor, and ever loyal friends and co-producers at CCN. If not for surface distractions, I would gladly act out any story with our mean ole producer Julian Lapis, our excellent director and historian, Ghaelen D'Lareh, who pushed me to flip many a switch and take many a pratfall, the leadership and artful movie maker Veralun, the comical and steady Altydwarber, my good friend Ty who played straight guy better than anyone ever expected to Madge's ridiculous notions, to Lord Chaos for his wonderful characters and ideas, and to Marten (from the Great Tree), who joined this rag tag group of individualists as guide, fine actor and film maker in his own right. What a group!

Conflict Is a Matter of Interpretation A Lttle Touch of Salt

And yep a thanks to Ruby's detractors too. For those of you who honestly believe there was no conflict in the cavern, I can assure you there is usally a tid bit or two of conflict going on. Ruby and Madge thanks those who helped to shape their characters, even though it sometimes hurt like a hard slam to the funny bone at the time the funny bone got slammed. Thank heavens to betsy for the sound advice of some very astute Cyanists and friends alike. It always shoved the character story into perspective. What a ride! Whoot!

Other MOUL related HIghlights

It was not in Ruby's nature to join groups that did not promote her causes, but there was an exception. She joined the Students of D'ni Knowledge for the sheer purpose of learning more about the story. Her time spent with that group was well spent. My time spent with AJF was too brief, but always important. It was another world with this group. Music Night with Lord or Lady Chaos - music by Ktahdn, was the medicine for what ailed 'cha. Because I was most often living out a character very much like me, but not me, it was nice to be me (the whole me) with a group friends on a Saturday night, where the talk shifted from the sublime to the way-out-of-any-ordinary.

Last but not least, I include Mysterium in Spokane as MOUL related. The talented, intelligent and friendly sorts I met there, who treated me like family deserve every hug I can throw their way. From Italian dinner to hotel stoop sits talking with friends our anticipation for MOUL's coming put a "could not take off smile on everyone's face."

I know I left about a three tiered chart of details out of this response. I hope Samsbase is out there to make me one. Just kidding Sam!

Ruby, et. al
Ahvree

Last edited by Ahvree on Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:39 pm 
Obduction Backer

My story is quite similar to Tai'lahr's. I was a solo player, daunted by the prospect of real multiplayer - by which I mean actually talking to people and interacting with them rather than just being in the same public instance. I only started interacting in Exodus, and now all my fondest memories are of multiplayer. Here are some:

My first multiplayer experience. I'd never got far in POTS because it always crashed on my PC, but the ages looked great. Now here was Ahnonay in Exodus, but I couldn't do it again, this time because it needed multiplayer. Darn! One evening, I plucked up my courage, went to GoG Bevin and asked for help. Zam was the Greeter on duty, and she was great. Took me right from the very beginning of multiplayer - how to share my Relto book (having someone else in my Relto for the first time was so spooky!) and add her to my buddy list through to exploring and rotating the spheres in Ahnonay. I didn't complete the age that evening, others helped me do it later, but I'll always remember the exhilaration of that first multiplater experience. Thanks Zam.

My first party. So recently, and ironically given the situation now! TomahnaGuy's MOUL Season 2 Anticipation Celebration! But is was terrific fun, the music was great, and I'm glad I've been to at least one Uru party. I expect I'll see you at some of the farewell parties too.

The Garden Ages Doing the multiplayer Eder ages was a scream. Trying to corral a bunch of folks from GoG Bevin, find a Bevin with a Tsoghal book, find someone to man the door, prepare ourselves; then the tenseness of waiting for your call to press your cloth, and then the final rush to the door as the caller shouts "RUN! RUN! RUN!" Fantastic fun. I used to hang around in GoG hoping for people to come in asking for an Eder run so I could go and help.

On a more general note, I'll fondly remember just being able to pop into a Bevin and strike up a conversation with someone I never met before. Everyone was so friendly.

All good fun, and I'll miss it. I'm so glad I took that big step from solo to multiplayer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:03 pm 
Obduction Backer

Yeesha's appearance in sil_oh_wet's Bevin. Fairly certain nothing would come of the Yeesha vigil, I showed up for the social aspect, and ended up having a long and in-depth IC conversation with Ichabod in the creepy ambiance of the hood's egg room. When we finally emerged, the vigil was almost over, and most people quickly left to check out one of the garden ages (Delin?) which had just been released. And then, a few minutes later, something happened.

Reading descriptions of the event later, many assumed the appearance was a failure, ruined by technical issues that kept whatever was "supposed to happen" from happening. It may have been an off-the-cuff stunt by the ResEngs who'd linked in near the end of the vigil to see what was up-- maybe it wasn't even approved by Cyan higher-ups, which might explain why the event was never followed up on or referenced in the story again.

That may all be true. But for the dozen or so who were there for that moment, none of it mattered or even occurred to us. All we knew was that Yeesha was standing there trying to talk to us, and it happened because of something the explorers did.
Those frantic moments were amazing: trying to communicate, shouting suggestions to each other, trying to interpret the strange things that were happening, the weird cloud of static-- is it trying to point us in that direction it keeps moving? Has it posessed that girl at the link-in point or is she just stuck there? Suddenly there I was, in the middle of the story of the restoration, part of the larger story of the D'ni that I'd been following for half my life, being asked to help tell it.

I never got another chance to participate in a story event, but for that one moment, Uru became everything I'd hoped it would be.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:13 pm 

The most fun I had in MOUL was ...

... inventing and playing Tricia Isaacson.

And while Tricia herself was NEVER meant to be a focal point (her purpose was only meant to be a vehicle for the translations), J.D. Barnes confessed to me that it was because of the "Tricia incident" that he became interested in persuing D'ni translations and acquired the Lara documents.

I can carry on knowing I contributed a tiny fragment to Myst canon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:22 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Great stories so far. I'll post later. In the meantime, I am lurking to enjoy the delightful coming outs. :shock: :lol:
Btw, since I had never really commented on that earlier, the off camera conversation beween Ruby and Vali was one of the funniest things ever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:23 pm 

My Year of Uru

I came to the cavern alone, not knowing anyone. Now the Buddy List in my heart is full. These are the people I’ve looked for on the surface and could never find. These are the ones with the heart of an explorer.

I experienced the sweet return of fond memories as I visited places I’ve been before, the breathless joy of discovering new places. From the cavern’s ever changing surroundings to Thend’s never changing attire, such things to see! The parties and games and contests, such things to do!

I was exploring, I was discovering, I was theorizing. What does this symbol mean? Why does that happen? What mysteries are lying there, waiting to be discovered…by me! It was an adventure, it was a quest. It was an obsession.

These were real adventures, real feelings. The sorrow of Wheely’s passing brought real tears to my eyes. The Bahro attack in the city made my hair stand on end. I held my breath as Yeesha spoke.

Wesa said, “The writing was on the wall,” but I didn’t see it. My eyes were full of hope, now tears, as we all come together around the bedside of our dying friend.

An ancient city, an ancient people, an ancient language. Places so far away I could never get there by another route. And yet, here it all was, at my fingertips. There is no place else like the cavern, and at no other time in history. This place was special, and we were special for being there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:48 pm 

You all have such wonderful memories with this game! I wish I had more, but I've only been playing since November, so I missed almost everything. I've actually followed Uru for a very long time...I didn't catch Prologue, but I played Uru:Ages Beyond Myst, To D'ni, TPoTS, did UU for a short amount of time (had lots of bugs with that), and was even invited to the MOUL beta but didn't keep up with it because of the incredible lag. I wanted to give MOUL some time to work out the bugs before I signed up, but I waited just a little too long :(

I've spent some time around the hoods (I play Dalin), and I've had some fun joking around or helping people with puzzles, but my best memory is simply linking into Ae'gura for the first time, standing at the top of the stairs, and actually seeing and hearing other people there. I spent a lot of time wandering around the cavern in the single-player version of the game, so actually being able to share it with other people was a real treat.