It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:34 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:06 am 
Obduction Backer

Shorah! I am starting this thread at the suggestion of several smart community members, to explain the protocol for the Press Conference, and to create a holding place for questions that could be asked during the discussion. I cannot promise that all questions will be answered; but Nadnerb has volunteered to check this list and will attempt to ask relevant questions if others have not already asked similar ones.

Press Conference: 9AM Pacific Daylight Time, July 3 2008
http://rel.to/irc in the #cyanchat channel
You may also connect to CyanChat if that is your preference, or use your own IRC client to connect to chat.mystlore.com.

Protocol
I will be acting as the Q&A gopher in the room, asking people to slow down the chat if it is going too fast, or to wait until one question is answered before asking another. If anyone demonstrates a pattern of disruptive interruptions, I will first warn that person, and if the pattern continues, I will mute that person. Muted people can send PMs but cannot speak to the room.

If Chogon feels that this arrangement is not working, then we will shift to a more tightly moderated format. In this mode, everyone is muted and to speak, people will have to PM me to have speaking privilege. I really hope that this step will not be necessary because it is more work and could slow the discussion down.

Other Access
Lade'e has volunteered to relay chat onto the MOUL forum. She may be assisted by others; not sure at this point how it will go. :) See: http://www.mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=262685

Dagda will be attempting to read the discussion as it happens on Teamspeak at shard.guildofgreeters.com.

Relays will be present in Second Life and at the chatroom on Mystonline.info. See: http://www.mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15812

Q&A
To quote JWPlatt: "Please refrain from asking about Rand's latest hairstyle or when Yeesha might next appear; relevant questions only, please."

Please post your questions below if you are unable to attend the press conference.

Q&A already answered

From http://www.mystonline.com/forums/viewto ... 565#262565 regarding Cyan's activities:
Chogon wrote:
matthornb wrote:
1) The beta-testing service for other game studios, not included under "game development"

True.

matthornb wrote:
2) The re-opening of MO:UL, which falls into the category of game maintenance rather than game development, as Cyan is merely running servers and expecting us to be the developers (unless we can pull in a big enough userbase to fund a development staff)

MORE should be more than just running servers (and even that takes a fair amount of work).

matthornb wrote:
3) Whatever Cyan is developing now with Gametap.... collaboration might be the "Something Else"/LATUS project...

We are not developing anything for GameTap or Turner at this time. All of the "Something Else" projects are on hold.

matthornb wrote:
4) Whatever (if anything) Cyan is negotiating for with Big Fish games....
http://www.spokesmanreview.com/blogs/tx ... ostID=4566

Where does this keep coming from... ah, I see. The Tom Sowa article which says that Big Fish said that if Cyan had a causal game we should talk. There are no negotiations going on between us.

We are working on another very small project but it is just that, a very small project. The development staff is *very* small right now, it might be the smallest that it has ever been. But with a little time, hard work and a little luck, we can start pulling some of those "Something Else" projects out of the hold status.

Thanks,
Chogon

From http://www.mystonline.com/forums/viewto ... 675#262675 regarding Greydragon's situation:
greydragon wrote:
What’s the difference between 613 and B1

When one is faced with the inevitable “unpaid vacation” it is only right to worry about ones future. For now I have taken a job as project manager at a local company in Spokane. It’s a good job. A lot of other things are happening in my life but I will spare you the details. For now I will stay in Spokane and enjoy the life I have started here. So for now I will enjoy the community like I did so many years ago. I’ll be a little of an outsider, a little distant… but nevertheless not too far away. Cyan will always be a home for me and I would love to return to work there in the future. For now however this bird (I mean dragon) needs to fly. In order to grow I need to move on.

So I’ll be around

And I’ll be watching…

Peace

Greydragon

From http://www.mystonline.com/forums/viewto ... 600#262600 regarding front-end servers:
Chogon wrote:
Ok, sorry. Some of the roadmap is more detailed than the average user would want and probably not detailed enough for the techie types.
The UruLive server is made up of many pieces. The idea behind this is a few of those pieces that run an age could run on an outside computer that is run by a fan. But all the pieces that deal with users, avatars, KI, etc. would only run on Cyan server machines. This would allow, for instance, a group of people more control over a particular neighborhood but not interfere with the rest of the ages.
There is still a lot of detail about this to work out yet, which is why it is a little vague at the moment.

Alahmnat wrote:
If front-end shard access is going to be seamless to the user, there's no conceivable way (in my mind) that a login-time UU-style shard listing would fit in with this plan. All of the sharding is invisible to the players and exists strictly as a series of hand-offs between various game servers as the player links from one area to the next.

And when I said seamless, I meant that the user would not have to do anything special outside of the game to get there. But I imagine that there will have to be something in-game (IC?) that would indicate that you are about to link to an age that is run and maintained by someone outside of Cyan... and then you can chose to put your hand on the book... or put you hand back in you pocket and walk away. Like I said... there is still a lot of these kind of details that need to be worked out yet.

Thanks,
Chogon

Last edited by Marten on Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:10 am 

How will Cyan contribute to MORE :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:13 am 
Obduction Backer

Will the International community be able to participate?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:18 am 

This is Guest91005 from the chat. I will miss the event but I willl check in here after work to see how it turns out.

Crazy idea but: Myst Online aka Uru LIVE should be an Xbox Live game for the Xbox 360 in the same way the PS3 has downloadable online games like Warhawk and Fatal Inertia EX. PM me for details. Formerly Explorer One.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:27 am 
Creative Kingdoms

Q: Will Cyan, or would Cyan like to, accept competent fan code submissions for features, rewrites, and bugfixes in the server or client code as it did in Until Uru? e.g. The KI is a popular candidate for improvement.

Q: Do bugfixes count as content? i.e. Does Cyan intend to make its own code changes to the server or client?

Q: Will any source other than the 3DS Max plugin be released? Does that include Plasma? What about Python?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:29 am 

Question 1. already asked, How will Cyan contribute to MORE and HOW MUCH?
2. This is more of suggestion and question, IF Cyan contibutes to MORE I was thinking of having pages like in Myst that played a little movie that pertained to our own acient history such as the first wheel invented,the first mass production wheat,that might teach things that could be laying around in the exsiting ages. Could Cyan included some thing like this and how hard would that be to do, do they think it would be worth the effort??

Thank you

KI 00142411

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:12 am 

I love Q&A lists..... :lol: So many "fan boy" things I would love to ask. :lol:

Despite the dreams conjured up by the road map I know this will be a lot of work just to get the first Uru Server running so I guess I only have one real burning question. (All the rest I am patient enough to do the work to get the answers.)

Q : A lot of focus is going to be on the GoW, but does Cyan see a place for outside Fan creations turning back around if their developers want and reentering Uru in MORE?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:18 am 
Creative Kingdoms

We know you love your fanboy questions, MJ. Nice restraint. ;)

We have the all-important internationals question. I'm surprised this wasn't asked yet:

Q: What's the anticipated opening date for the Cavern?

and

Q: Where's the line to sign up?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:37 am 

The roadmap says:
Quote:
+ Release of the 3DS Max Plasma plug-ins for creating MORE content. Release of the source for the plug-in (only) to the Guild of Writers. This will allow for the easier creation of fan created tools as well as being able to use what Cyan used for creating Myst Online content.

This sentence can be interpreted in three ways. Does it mean that only the plug-in source will be released, does it mean that the plug-in source will only be released to the Guild of Writers, or does it mean both?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:44 am 
Obduction Backer

Question: Aside from user-made Ages would users also be able to create content like notebooks in existing Ages? (Like a journal in your Relto that others can read)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:46 am 
Obduction Backer

cjkelly1 wrote:
The roadmap says:
Quote:
+ Release of the 3DS Max Plasma plug-ins for creating MORE content. Release of the source for the plug-in (only) to the Guild of Writers. This will allow for the easier creation of fan created tools as well as being able to use what Cyan used for creating Myst Online content.

This sentence can be interpreted in three ways. Does it mean that only the plug-in source will be released, does it mean that the plug-in source will only be released to the Guild of Writers, or does it mean both?

Peaple sould be able to create content without being part of ant guild if they wish to....
And what version of 3ds max ?

And, does the new system mean we won't be able to do such thingh as Skydive and other fun though totally OOC stuff ?

MOUL ki : Ewilan : #07497427
MOULagain ki : Will tell if i manage to get in someday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:48 am 

Seeing as the Archiver will go to print after the press conference, and seeing as I don't want Chogon having to answer questions that have already been answered, I shall print my somewhat vague questions that I have already asked him, and their answers.

Quote:
Quote:
We'd been hearing from you guys that you've been seemingly close to a
deal for a while now. Why the delays?

Were GameTap, in principle, in agreement that the rights should revert
back to Cyan, and was a large part of the negotiations simply a matter
of logistics and detail?

One thing you have to remember about dealing with very large organizations is that things always take longer than expected when it comes to decisions. The first thing is getting the right person's attention and then after that there always seems to be one more person that has to look it over. The people at GameTap were always willing to move ahead but I think Tom Sowa's blog article for the Spokesman-Review kind of got the "right" people's attention to get it moving faster then it was just a matter of working its way through the process.

Quote:
How confident were Cyan of reaching an agreement? Was the April
closure less of a disaster, more of a temporary setback?

Actually, to tell you the truth, when it was announced that UruLive was shutting down in 60 days, we were a little surprised. We had thought that we would be in the GameTap catalog in some capacity for longer because like I had said in a forum post elsewhere, we had and still do have a kinship with the people at GameTap. And I know that it was as hard for them as it was for us as it was for all the fans when we finally had to shut the servers down. Sad times.
But going through something like that forces you to take a hard look at what had happen (which admittedly, we weren't able to do earlier because we had our heads down working on pumping out updates every month). IMHO, Cyan and GameTap didn't really fail UruLive, it was more that UruLive just didn't fit in the old MMOG business model and hence not fit in the GameTap catalog model. So, we started to think that if we could start UruLive more as a grass roots effort, starting slowly with lots of help from the fans, we could restart UruLive while slowly re-building it towards a more successful business model. And that's when we started more aggressively trying to get the rights back.

Quote:
Any rough estimates as to when the cavern may open again?

It is going to start slow but we want to get the cavern open as soon as possible. Right now the team is very small but we are very dedicated! There are a couple of hurdles of unknown height that once we clear we can give a better estimate... so, alls I can say for now is soon.

Thanks,
Mark DeForest

But that doesn't mean you shouldn't read the Archiver now ;)

Old MOUL KI: 13986530
MOULa KI: 02058741

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:26 am 
Obduction Backer

Another question:
Will you first open the servers and then work on a structure for UCC, or will you open the servers after you have nailed down how UCC will be handled?

Post subject: adding more to the game
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:49 am 

Will there be a possibility to have the avatars do more in the game via a quest? Can you forsee a possibility to have an addon of code to allow my avatar to learn something new, and then have the ability to do it? I'm thinking in the sense of WoW, where you learn trades.

Is there any chance in the world that Cyan would open its source code, and allow Open Source involvement? Some other game studios have allowed this on their titles, and seen an increase in the fans involvement. It becomes "their" game as well. :)

Are the Cyan folks ready for a roller coaster ride? I sure am! LOL, GOOD LUCK and BEST WISHES to all of you! *HUGS*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:21 am 

A few questions from the GoW

- Will we be able to modify game files to alter their purpose, eg making it so marker games can be saved to Hard disk?
- Any plans to allow the GoW to extend Ae'Gura?
- From Grogyan -> Not a question, thanks for being able to judge Shells in the RAD contest, question, I assume you got my email about requesting to be on the panel?
- Do you have any comments about Rapid Age Development or similar contests?
- Will you be able to provide a way that will allow online content to be played offline, so that we can develop and test Ages on stand alone PC's?
- Would you consider making an Age or two or areas utilizing the PyPrp plugin for Blender?
- Would you have any spare time to have a seperate meeting and discussion with the Guild of Writers after this one?

Lian-Li PC-V1000 plus II case, 600W powersupply, Striker Extreme motherboard, Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 CPU, nVidia 8800GTS 512, 2x1GB Corsair memory @ 800Mhz, 5.1 audio, wireless mouse, 200GB main hard disk.
Grogyan KI# 00793984 -> www.guildofwriters.com