It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:07 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:43 am 
Obduction Backer

Hey everyone... So, I have been hunting for some information, and this (and other) forums are very dark and trackless woods haha and I am not having much (read: any) success. I am wanting to know: what were the original D'ni guilds? Does anyone know this, or have a link to where I could track such knowledge down? But most specifically, I am interested to know if there was a Guild of Musicians.

More specifically than that, I am interested to know if there are any examples remaining of D'ni music... not so much the sound as the notation. What did a piece of D'ni sheet music look like? We know their words and alphabet, their colours, their numbers and some of their mathmatical applications such as telling time, but I don't personally recall any mention of their musical notation system, or even if they had one.

I am asking this because I would like to apply this knowledge (if it pans out haha) to an age I would like to eventually propose for development. I will keep hunting and sleuthing, but if anyone has a useful link or knows of a thread or wiki somewhere that might be of assistance, it would be much appreciated. I will be posting this question at the Guild of Writers forum, but I thought posting here as well could prove fruitful.

Thanks in advance for any assistance! And if this is in the wrong, category, i apologize, and please feel free to move it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:51 am 
Obduction Backer

Hm.. there was a Guild of Artisans, which I suppose music would fall under. "Art" is a very broad (and interpretive) term, so I don't know if all manner of art would be handled within one guild or if there would have been sub groups within that guild for various kinds of art.

There may be a specific guild of musicians, but i don't recall. but was there say, a guild of sculptors or a guild of painters? i know there was a guild of artisans, may have been one of the minor guilds, so i don't know what room that would leave for specific kinds of art.

as for examples of d'ni music. in riven, there is a recording of Gehn playing his d'ni "clarinet" (cannot remember its proper d'ni name) in his private age. not sure if that's d'ni music or if it is influenced by d'ni music styles, but if gehn plays it and even sees fit to record himself playing it, then it's safe to assume it's at least heavily influenced by d'ni music.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:35 am 

There's a list of guilds on the DRC site http://drcsite.org/dnifaq.php but it doesn't include musicians.
You might find something useful at the D'ni Music Restoration Council website http://sirem.pagesperso-orange.fr/carib ... bst_3.html

"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." - Nikola Tesla

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:36 am 
Obduction Backer

The most anyone knows about D'ni music is from the games; and that was very little. The D'ni Musicological Research guys might be able to help you. To date they have made two Myst/D'ni-style albums (Tadjinar and D'marnah). They also are working on making D'ni instruments (I believe there was some concept stuff for a canen and a D'ni style strings instrument). their web site links will be below. Also check out Turjan Alyahn's web site below, he works with the DMR. (Some of the stuff's in French so you may have to use Google Translate)

Turjan's Weblog
DMR Site
DMR Blog
D'marnah

[EDIT] I found this on Google. Score!

http://musicdni.blogspot.com/2007/12/dni-music-discovery.html

TOC#60089 DI#132103 MOULa is Image

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:25 am 

We in the Dmr would be more than happy to help you even get in touch with Turjan If you like . please come to visit us our bevin is always open and contact us anytime on Uru . in the evening , Eastern time or on the week-end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:01 am 
Obduction Backer

http://en.mystlore.com/wiki/Guild_of_Musicians

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:35 am 

Found in this post by Dot.... Image
(Very easy and user friendly index.... The Best) :lol:
http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=331453#331453

You will need to register for access to their forums. :wink:
http://musiciansguild1.proboards.com/index.cgi?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:51 am 
Obduction Backer

Thanks so much, everyone!! this will be a great help... now to start assimilating lol....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:11 am 
Obduction Backer

For future reference, I'd suggest for questions regarding all things D'ni to check out the DniPedia site. Specifically the archive section. This is where you'll find everything you ever wanted to know about D'ni/Myst in a nice easy to read place.

Back when MORE was around, there were tentative plans to have the Guild of Archivists located here I think. They would have been in charge of keeping canon straight with the influx of fan submitted ages, and to ensure non of those ages contradicted anything else.

EDIT:

BTW, The relevant information from D'niPedia:

Quote:
The Guild of Fine Artists was one of the original Major Guilds. However, it was dissolved in 2488 DE by King Naygen and broken into several Minor Guilds, each with a focus on a specific art form. The move was widely supported by those in the Guild of Fine Artists, as they argued it would allow them to better improve on their own individual art forms.

The Guild of Musicians was one of the minor guilds created when the Guild of Fine Artists dissolved.

Chloe Rhodes

DIRT - Uru Live

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:19 am 
Obduction Backer

thanks Chloe, that resolves my earlier confusion.

in addition to d'nipedia there is also Mystlore, another Myst pedia. has a substantial amount of content.

Post subject: D'ni Music Info
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:07 pm 

Hi,

In addition to the info provided by Christine and Trekluver, there are links to D'ni music sites on rel.to

Go to http//rel.to- Groups - Organizations - ARMD and DMR

Our DMR founder, Turjan, discovered 2 D'ni instruments - the Maral Obe (see the Riven reference above) and the Ahnomeprad (crystal harp)

We are carrying on his legacy in the DMR by broadcasting concerts. They will resume shortly.

Musica2

KI #01081759
Musica2
Ki #04978677

Obduction Backer
Guild of Messengers
D'ni Musicological Research hood
D'ni Museum of Art hood

"Little by little one travels far" - JRR Tolkien

Post subject: Re: D'ni Music Info
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:03 pm 

Musica2 wrote:
Hi,

In addition to the info provided by Christine and Trekluver, there are links to D'ni music sites on rel.to

Go to http//rel.to- Groups - Organizations - ARMD and DMR

Our DMR founder, Turjan, discovered 2 D'ni instruments - the Maral Obe (see the Riven reference above) and the Ahnomeprad (crystal harp)

We are carrying on his legacy in the DMR by broadcasting concerts. They will resume shortly.

Musica2

Will there be coordinated gatherings and presentations in cavern?