It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:12 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: About URU.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:10 am 

Hello everyone,

I've been gone for a long time, and at the moment I can't get back into the cavern due to... uhm... hiking boot... problems... yeah. (network connection problems?)

ANYWAY, Just wanted to pop in and ask people, how is URU? What's happening? How is the weather in Delin? The music player in the Kaddish Gallery still making people melancholy? Wind still blowing in Minkata? How are all of you? What are you all doing? Anyone learning D'ni? Writing? Reading? Exploring? Talking? Fighting? Singing?

Main question, is there life?

Talk to me and tell me about you all, URU, and the Cavern! =)

Jayim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:53 am 

There is no life in The Cavern.

KI #12987306

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:05 am 
Obduction Backer

gmz1023 wrote:
There is no life in The Cavern.
That's not entirely correct...

While visits are down, and many of the "old timers" seldom show up, there is still a regular presence in the cavern. I'll usually find at least 6 in the city, and I've seen two or three times that sometimes in the evenings. (EST)

We're up to DRC 3141 Bevin as of this evening, adding several new neighborhoods each day. Many of these explorers are newcomers.

So while you may not often find your old friends about, you can still find new ones, and there are opportunities to help the newcomers get started or find their way around. :)

-Pinkutus & the Borg

Ad astra
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:22 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Hanging around with mermaids. And still looking for the elusive Funky Bahro.
For some strange reason, around 4PM (EDT), Ae'gura becomes crowded, mostly with newbies. (I call it The D'ni Rush Hour.)

If Cyan can't provide us with content, we make our own - sort of. Karaoke is still on, more or less - most of its participants are in Second Life, but occasionally we get a few in the Karaoke Hood. (Did I mention Bevins are now called Hoods?)

Alien has single-handedly brought back Pod Parties! There are plenty of marker missions!

So, as Yeesha likes to say, "The Cavern lives... and grows!"

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Magical Mystery TOOO 643784
Institution TOOO 816645
Karaoke TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

Murinna (the mermaid) 2484723
Mallina (the other mermaid) 3015052

Second Life: TOOO Fall

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:54 pm 

Until Cyan focuses on Uru live and starts adding new content and getting involved in the Uru Live community there will eventually be no life in the cavern.

James 1:19
"... Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:49 pm 

Hi PreacherMan, glad you have made it back and figured out how to enable your account for posting. I hope you can find some new boots to help you get into the Cavern.

I am assuming you were around for Until Uru. There is currently a similar aspect to MOULa. The Cavern is open, but no new content is appearing and fewer and fewer people are visiting the Cavern. MO:UL has always had a player retention problem and that continues.

There are some very significant differences from the Until Uru era. We have the computer code for the client side of the game. We also have a couple of fan made servers. So, it is possible to run an Until Uru style server or a near MOULa style server. We also have the Plasma plug-in used by Cyan to make the MO:UL ages. Unfortunately it only works with 3DS Max version 7 and may be 8. Open source is moving forward and continues to be a goal of Cyan’s.

The GoW is working on branches of the client and server code and the Plasma plug-in. At some point we will probably see a Plasma plug-in for newer versions of 3DS and one for Blender 2.5x.

Some people are using the current Plasma plug-in to make ages and some test servers are running for testing those ages. Various fan tools for adding ages to the offline versions of the games are available. There are questions about the legality of some of those tools, so discussion of those is limited in this forum. But, there are over 100 ages one can add into Uru. They are various levels of quality. A few are what we call Cyan quality, meaning you would think they are part of the original game. Other ages are clearly from fans learning to build 3D environments.

The main code repository can be found at OpenUru.org. The code branch there focuses on remaining compatible with Cyan’s MO:UL-again. The idea being that ages built and tested with compatible software will be able to be easily added to the MOULa servers. Also, improvements to the server and client will be easily merged with the code branch Cyan maintains for their use.

We have multiple levels of builders for Myst-Uru style ages. Some play in the Plasma play ground. You’ll find those people mostly engaging their hobby at GoW. It is unclear how compatible the branches of code and ages built for that branch of code will be. The assumption is their ages will also be compatible with MOULa. But, that seems to be less the goal of GoW than their desire to get things working and fixing old problems. Plus, I expect the GoW to add new features that make play more enjoyable. But, we may end up with incompatible, or at least different, branches and games.

While OpenUru.org’s desire to maintain compatibility is high, their time available for work on the code is almost as limited as Cyan’s. So, things move slowly. We still do not have a license for Cyan content. So, legally the ages Cyan built cannot currently appear in a fan run server.

For many the complexity and slow movement of things in the MOULa world is too frustrating. So, they are off doing other things. One group plays in Second Life and OpenSim (mostly OSGrid). You can find some of them at OpenUru.org and at the Devokan Trust. There are a number of Myst like builds in Second Life (SL) and OSGrid. About 600+ fans are in SL and about 250+ are active each month. A number of fans have learned to make ‘ages’ in those systems. Now that those systems have upgraded from only being able to build with predefined primitive shapes to full use of mesh, we are seeing some models move back and forth between systems. So… one can find Myst style games in various places.

One of the very Myst-Uru like builds in SL is named Crux Isle. The builders managed to get a FCAL from Cyan for it. It is well worth exploring and solving.

While much of the Cyan fan base is invisible and the fan forums are often quite, the core fans are still working to move the game forward and keep it alive.

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:56 pm 
Obduction Backer

Don't believe the URU obituaries, they're wrong. If URU were dead it would be offline with no open source. Cyan still has URU up and running as it was when it last shut down albeit with no additional content and no live content. All the ages are there, all the streets of D'ni are open, but the DRC and Yeesha are MIA and slow yet steady gains are being made towards open source. There is still much activity in the cavern and its ages thanks to our fellow explorers and always new explorers arriving and newcomers and long time explorers returning on a regular basis.

If you're so curious, why don't you link in and take a look around? Experience it for yourself and see it again first hand. Don't waste your time reading about it here. Come in and join us. Live It!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:02 pm 

Main_Avvie wrote:
If you're so curious, why don't you link in and take a look around? Experience it for yourself and see it again first hand. Don't waste your time reading about it here. Come in and join us. Live It!

That's actually his problem: He can't at the moment due technical issues :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:51 pm 
Obduction Backer

True. I forgot about that thread in technical discussion (I even posted there ) :oops: Most unfortunate. I hope that issue is resolved soon. But regardless, the advice still stands to anyone in particular.

Suffice it to say the deep city is still there waiting for you. Yeesha's words are still true. It breathes. :) it's the explorers that give it life. 8) D'ni welcomes us back. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:51 pm 

I'm there.....

/me self check's for signs of life
:lol:

satelite du matin (French)
morgen satelite (German)
Image MS offline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:32 am 
Obduction Backer

And so are many more, albeit quietly, but there nonetheless...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:40 pm 
I'm there, too, and I can think of six or ten others that are in cavern regularly, optimistically, and with enthusiasm! We're having fun, throwing parties, writing and solving puzzles and marker missions, asking questions, and offering support! The Cavern definitely lives.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:07 pm 

I don't come in as frequently as I used to, but when I do, there's still plenty of people in the city, and at the very least, the D'ni Museum of Art's Hood is still alive and kicking in the evening. To say there is no life in the cavern these days is completely false.

Post subject: Uru Live
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:55 am 

There are slow times. We can't expect the Cavern to be packed at all times.
Plenty of events during the week. Crowded at times and slow at times.
URU lives, believe me, or I would be out of here.
Shorah to all the newbies also, joining everyday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:35 am 
Obduction Backer

we are not so many from france. but still here...

Membre du quartier Mystpedia - KI 9392
Alts : EG Jan (gone) / Sleeper Jan KI (coming soon)