It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:14 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:00 am 

I have to say, I've never been able to buy into the storyline through the years.....but I must say, just reading this news gave me goosebumps.

Holy S. :mrgreen:

Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:02 am 

Umm.

'Scuse me for being skeptical here, but ...

What you folks all saw was a *hologram*. Not Yeesha herself.

How do you know that someone who's got access to a projector wasn't having fun with all of you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:13 am 
Obduction Backer

If this turns out to be those ResEngs playing a practical joke on us, I'll be upset. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:14 am 

You make a good point, Jishin. But who other than Yeesha have we seen use hologram technology quite like that? As in not tied to an imager but able to wander freely?

Regardless, it shows that someone with some power is watching our actions. And I can't think why anyone who wasn't allied with Yeesha or at least supportive of her would want to draw attention to her with a display like this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:16 am 
Obduction Backer

Jishin wrote:
Umm.

'Scuse me for being skeptical here, but ...

What you folks all saw was a *hologram*. Not Yeesha herself.

How do you know that someone who's got access to a projector wasn't having fun with all of you?

That is possible, IF someone with the DRC had access to a 3 dimensional holographic projector, AND had the ability to project into the hood without being seen themselves AND if they had a full scan of the Yeesha hologram.

It would have to be someone from the DRC (for the sheer OOC reason that its technically impossible for this to be pulled off outside of Cyan), and if it was, what would be the motivation behind it?

KI#00001498
Officially bonked R.E.B.E.L.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:18 am 

You lucky devils!

Amazing stuff, great photos, and a shot in the arm for the community as a whole. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:26 am 

IC: Your collective positive brain energy channelled your Karma into the fountain's center during the journey-cloth formation, summoning a ghostly apparition of Yeesha's thankful spirit, who's body was indisposed at that particular moment.

OOC: Cyan probably desperately wanted to let Yeesha interact with the players and let them interact with the storyline in the way that was intended. The problem was, there was not a Yeesha avatar- the closest thing is the hologram. So they tried to use it like a regular character avatar, had some problems, screwed around a bit, then left, off to fix it so it'll work next time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:27 am 
Obduction Backer

I can't help but think that the reason she's a hologram is because, for some reason, it's not in her plans to come to the cavern herself yet. Perhaps the mysterious "He" is a danger to her. Although Yeesha sometimes seems to be elevated to being considered all-powerful, if this "He" weren't a threat, what would be the point of even mentioning him?

You know, even as I read this, I realize I'm making assumptions without facts.

What if it was "Him" that caused the hologram to appear? :shock:

So many possibilities, so little data.

/me sighs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:33 am 

Calam wrote:
IC: Your collective positive brain energy channelled your Karma into the fountain's center during the journey-cloth formation, summoning a ghostly apparition of Yeesha's thankful spirit, who's body was indisposed at that particular moment.

OOC: Cyan probably desperately wanted to let Yeesha interact with the players and let them interact with the storyline in the way that was intended. The problem was, there was not a Yeesha avatar- the closest thing is the hologram. So they tried to use it like a regular character avatar, had some problems, screwed around a bit, then left, off to fix it so it'll work next time.

Yeah, that. The technical problems were unfortunate, but this was still incredible. :D I like referring to her as an apparition rather than a hologram, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:43 am 
Obduction Backer

Calam wrote:

I'm not so sure. Never in my wildest dreams did I expect Yeesha to just show up and sit around being heckled by Explorers the way the DRC are. I don't think she'd stand for that. :)

We can't tell whether what happened went to plan or not, of course, but the way the static moved seemed to me to be very deliberate and not a manifestation of a bug.

Does anyone remember the very first Star Trek movie, when V-Ger sends in the probe to the Enterprise? It was a shimmering column of light that moved around the bridge while everyone stood back warily. The ghost static reminded me a little of that when it moved...

Last edited by aaronius on Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:47 am 

OOC: It seems pretty obvious to me that this is something that was thrown together with zero notice by Cyan, who must have been really excited that there was such a turnout, and were just itching to do something in response to it. The sheer fact that it did happen, with so little notice, and so soon after going live is a fantastic sign. They have an engine and framework that is capable of creating events such as this on zero notice, and they're plainly very willing to engage with the community this way.

I'm picturing a bunch of guys at Cyan HQ now sweating and scrambling to create a proper Yeesha avatar, much sooner than they thought they'd have to. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:49 am 

Frankly, I think Cyan was totally prepared and just waiting for us dolts to wake up and start really exploring.....

....wish I had been there!

Last edited by Romer Openfield on Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:50 am 
Obduction Backer

Exactly. Wouldn't Cyan have been anticipating player action like this all along? It would greatly surprise me if they *hadn't* planned for Yeesha to make some sort of manifestation in the cavern.

And on the player's side, this event has been in the planning for well over a week. I doubt this was something Cyan threw together 5 minutes beforehand. (But of course I could be wrong.)

The person-shaped static, at the very least, is something I've never seen elsewhere in Uru.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:52 am 
Obduction Backer

I think it is a clever ploy. A mere diversion. Why? I don't know. But, did you all notice that the snow in Delin seemed to act as a diversion while this was taking place? Everyone went to go look at delin, and meanwhile back at the ranch......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:56 am 
Creative Kingdoms

I can log in with my avatar at a moment's notice too. Like any avatar from the DRC or the rest of us, Yeesha should be no different unless a hologram must be coordinated. I don't understand why they would need the hologram unless it was intentional. And I don't know why it would be intentional because it was she who spoke to us in the intro video, presumably as a living person.

There have been many fan videos produced on Until Uru shards which used the Yeesha avatar. It should not be a stretch for her to already be available without a glitch in Live except for the hologram.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 186 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next