It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:00 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:39 am 

If the creature flies, it doesn't do so with wings; it wouldn't be able to lift an ape that size off the ground.

More likely it dwells in the trees; that would explain how it was able to reach the (presumably tree-dwelling) ape.

KI # 04260171

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:44 am 

vortmax wrote:
Sosiqui wrote:
And thanks very much Vortmax for keeping we who cannot fit into sil_oh_wet's Bevin all updated! *claps* :)

I've gotta thank Thend and sil for keeping me updated on this one. I was just the first one to go "Has anyone posted this to the forums yet??" ;)

Alright, many thanks to the Explorer Network At Large, then - including Vort, Thend and Sil. ;)

Brr. *shivers* I'm going to look into Negilahn with a different light now. What if whatever it was attacked the pod? :shock:

Sosiqui in Cavern

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:51 am 

Kaylar wrote:
some kind of illness?

Thats makes creatures explode?

I hope I don't catch that flu... sounds nasty!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:54 am 

Quote:
The "tarpin shal" is Negilahn's most famous creature and if you get a chance to see one drop down on an unsuspecting animal below it, you'll know why. You'll have to look carefully on the high branches, they are sometimes hard to see but they are worth the effort.

:shock:

Nah....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:55 am 
Obduction Backer

I'm no personal friend of Ril's, but are we sure we can believe everything that we've been told tonight?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:55 am 
Obduction Backer

djlumberjack wrote:
I'm no personal friend of Ril's, but are we sure we can believe everything that we've been told tonight?

Any reason not to? ;)
Rils has been reliable in the past...

Between this and the Bahro sighting stuff, I think people are getting too skeptical. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:04 am 
Obduction Backer

From the description of the remains, I'm inclined to think this was not an attack by any sort of predictor, air-borne or otherwise. This sounds more like an... event, something akin to spontaneous combustion... spontaneous explosion? I'm picturing a moving ball of energy or plasma or whatever you want to call it, enveloping the unfortunate creature and detonating it. Whether that "force" was consciously directed by a mind or is a byproduct of some other mechanics remains to be seen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:45 am 
Obduction Backer

Could the dead creature have found and eaten something that looked like its normal food, but proved to be an explosive of some kind?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:58 am 

Here's my own theory. I actually had this theory a while ago and some of what happened here would support it...although some would not.

My theory is this. The Negilahn/Kemo fireflies are native to Kemo, not Negilahn. They were brought accidentally by the DRC at some point. The fireflies that came carried some form of disease or--perhaps more likely--a parasite of some kind. The Kemo creatures would have developed some form of immunity to this disease naturally. Humans are either also immune OR the disease has to be passed on by eating the fireflies, something that--to my knowledge--no human has yet done. It is this disease that is causing the deaths on Negilahn.

This would explain the nonexistence of tracks and the fact that there were no organs or anything missing. Whatever killed the reepah, it didn't do it for food and it didn't walk around on the ground. I doubt reepahs eat fireflies, but they assuredly prey on something that preys on something that preys on something...you get the picture. Somewhere down the chain something is eating the fireflies and passing the disease UP the chain.

Now, the part that doesn't make sense is the fact that the reepah was in shredded pieces all over the place, including up in the trees. I've never heard of a disease or parasite that resulted in something like THAT, and so I'm not certain of my theory yet. However, the Ages are many and varied, and I think it is POSSIBLE that a disease or parasite *could* cause this effect...however unlikely.

BTW: I heard there were pics posted somewhere of the corpse remains now...does anyone know where?

MOULa KI#237576

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:10 am 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Interesting theory, although... are you implying the desease transmitted through fireflies made the Reepah explode?
If we could see a pic of the remains that would be interesting. Though Nick mentioned in the hood beforehand that the DRC was somewhat restrictive about KI pics from the expedition. Besides, maybe the scattered remains of a Reepah would be too scary and gruesome to share. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:24 am 

ireenquench wrote:
Interesting theory, although... are you implying the desease transmitted through fireflies made the Reepah explode?

Yes--which is why I am not yet certain about my theory. As you illustrate but are too polite to actually say, it seems very bizarre that any disease or parasite would cause that kind of wide-spread damage. However, we have the following oddities which the theory would resolve:

1) Whatever is killing off so many animals appeared in the Age RECENTLY--which rules out anything native to it.

2) There are what appear to be the same fireflies on both Kemo and Neg.

3) The DRC has thus far failed to get a single glimpse of a predator supposedly big enough and powerful enough to dessimate a reepah.

4) Nothing is taken from the corpses--organs, muscles, anything that would be used as food.

5) There are no tracks.

MOULa KI#237576

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:25 am 
Obduction Backer

Interesting ... the remains are described as "torn or shredded, not cut," and it seems like most of the parts & organs are accounted for ... no tracks ... Rils did not mention whether there seemed to be signs of a struggle or not, but it almost seems like the remains were ... dumped ... where they were found. Implying they came from elsewhere? How would you get them to where they were found? An aircraft, maybe? Or could you link them in, using a BIG bucket or something? And, in that case, who else is involved??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:43 am 

There were remains in the trees as well as on the ground; if they were 'dumped', it would have to have been from in the air, and were that the case perhaps they would have observed damage to the foliage from when the parts crashed through it. And the remains would be crushed from the impact velocity.

And again, that's a huge amount of weight to fly with; biological wings couldn't manage it.

Could it have been people, though? I suppose it's certainly possible.

KI # 04260171

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:18 am 

You know, that firefly idea sounds ridiculous, but it got me thinking...

On earth, there are large swarms of killer bees which move as a whole--they don't stay in one place long, and they don't "migrate" (because there isn't a repeating pattern), they simply move and destroy. Similarly, we have myths of plagues of locusts, myths that are inspired by real events--locust swarms.

What if the gorilla was killed by a swarm of small-yet-lethal insects, a swarm which was just moving through. Since they wouldn't be a regular occurrence, it'd be unlikely for us to see them through the pod. Since the swarm is a large group of entities which only move in the same general direction, there'd be no specific path. And the only trail left would be scarring on the surrounding vegetation--which Rils reported.

If it was a swarm of insects, then we should be very thankful that the three hunters didn't encounter them. I can't imagine rifles being very useful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:13 am 

Rils,

When did you learn DRCspeak? :P

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next