It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:25 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:43 am 

Maybe it’s the Bahro doing it? They can fly can’t they? And they are recent additions to the age; their ‘portal’ is in the age.

It’s a thought, but if you think about it, it fits all the criteria for the predator.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:52 am 

Location: In the dark, behind you. With the glowsticks in my nose.
The reepahs as we've been introduced to, are the gorilla like animals on the lower section of the animal chart - the one with the scorpion like tail. If its a large reepah, that still doesn't make it much bigger than a human. Which makes it entirely possible some large predator could throw dismembered pieces around - which would explain the pieces in and on the trees. Exploding animals just doesn't seem plausible.

Is it possible this predator, whatever it is, is hunting for pleasure rather than food; its been mentioned that nothing is missing... just everywhere. Or is it possibly killing things under the influence of somone or something else more sinister?

That brings up another thing. Is it possibly more than one creature. If we're assuming due to the lack of traceable footprints, and pieces all in trees and spread around, is it possible its a swarm, or flock of flying things.

Perhaps its not even something foreign to negilahn, but a new learned behavior from an indigenous species as a self defense turned offensive measure. Its possible that this new offensive behavior is directed indiscriminately at any other animal, but since these creatures don't naturally prey on reepahs, they don't consume what they kill.

Many different possibilities. Need more information.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:08 am 

Overdrive wrote:
Exploding animals just doesn't seem plausible.

And if the reepah was allready dead before it exploded?
Think in an anology to whales. They do explode due to internal gas, when they are stranded.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:14 am 

Amyone thought of the possiblity, whoever/whatever did this has/had the ability to link in on the targeted creature and link out again?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:26 am 

Moranda wrote:
Amyone thought of the possiblity, whoever/whatever did this has/had the ability to link in on the targeted creature and link out again?

Um, like i said, Bahro :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:46 am 
Obduction Backer

That old pamphlet wrote:
If you happen to see a reepah consider yourself lucky.

Don't know if you are lucky when you see such remains... yikes!

I'm glad you're all okay!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:47 am 

If there were no tracks... how did the reepah itself get there... was it carried there before it was torn to shreds? Or maybe reepahs move about without leaving tracks, perhaps via the trees. There were scratches on the trees, from reepah claws perhaps? If they are ape like it seems plausable to me.

Now if it was killed but not eaten, it doesn't mean it was for pleasure. What if it was a territorial dispute between 2 reepahs? The victor tearing apart the defeated reepah as a sign of strength to any other would-be tresspassers. Again this sounds feasible to me, and fits what we have been told.

What if this predator is just an aggresive and powerful native... A reepah.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:29 pm 
Obduction Backer

Dun Dun Dunnnnnnn!!! :shock:

A reepah that's learned to link thus leaving no tracks?

Nah :wink:

BTW if Nick and Doug need a photographer I'd be glad to tag along. I've been a photojournalist for over 10 years and I can sprint like my tushies on fire when I have to. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:08 pm 
Obduction Backer

It just doesn't make sense that there could be a virus running around out there that we are this unaffected by. Remember there is a crack in our pod, therefore we are exposed to whatever is out there. It's all very Mysterious!

BTW, sil_oh_wets Bevin seems to be the one that gets the most action around here. I gotta hang out there more. Or us UO Bevin dwellers gotta make more noise and get noticed!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:01 pm 

Any screenshots from the trip? :)

(if someone allready says something like that,then i'm sorry.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:12 pm 

nebodin wrote:

What if this predator is just an aggresive and powerful native... A reepah.

Jack the Reepah.
:lol:

This actually reminds me of an episode of CSI, in which a gorilla's corpse was found in the middle of the desert with no tracks around it. It had been dropped out of a helicopter (or a plane, can't remember).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:29 pm 
Obduction Backer

I'm still think it's extremely unlikely that anything biological, be it a predator or a virus, is responsible for what's been described. The more I think about it, the more it seems to point to a "who" rather than a "what" as being the culprit. Here's another theory to throw into the mix: As I recall from the Myst books, The D'ni had some very advanced mining technology, sonic drills and such designed to blast and bore through rock. What if someone, maybe the "he" that Yeesha has warned us about, has gotten his hands on some of this technology and is attempting to adapt it into an effective weapon against flesh and blood creatures? Sonic guns tuned to detonate flesh while leaving the surroundings relatively unharmed. That would explain the "scaring" on the trees. Foliage is close enough to flesh to be somewhat damaged but not destroyed completely. Metal and stone would be unaffected. This might all boil down to a case of target practice gone amuck, like what happened to the buffalo on the American plains the hunters came charging in. ... Just a thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:41 pm 

For my first post here...I'm just going to jump right in.

I posted this idea up on the TGT forum and thought I share it here.

Here is another possibility...From what I'm reading they (Rils, Sharper, Nick) are maintaining that there were no animal tracks. As I understand it the big guy was torn to shreds. I also understand that they the Reepah live in the trees. Does anyone suspect that maybe those big nasty pink flowers that we are told (At least I was by a Greeter no less) are hidden microphones are not really that. Perhaps they are an invasive species that is starting to grow like mad everywhere. Perhaps, the flowers (if you want to keep calling them that) live off the bodily fluids of other animals which is why all of the organs were found apparently intact but the body was mangled. Kinda like a "juicer" or crusher...I know that sounds utterly gross and creates a horrible visual.

Think about it....Big guy comes climbing down the tree and is caught un-awares by nasty mean evil flower, perhaps it has vines or tenticales which it can use to snare or drag its prey into its maw...and then chop! When it is done...drop the carcass and bits to the jungle floor like a bad habit. Makes sense to me at least. No tracks either. In fact if anything in that age looks like it don't fit...it is those creepy looking roses!

I find it hard to believe an aerial predator due to the density of the jungle would make it difficult for any aerial predator to dive in and maintain enough momentum to carry off a beast of such size do its business then drop it somewhere. I mean an earth bound gorilla weighs 100's of lbs.

Who to say that the enemy that Yeesha in the past has reffered to isn't writing invasive species into these ages in an effort to destroy them?

Storms coming....

-Anonymous-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:55 pm 

Geert wrote:
Overdrive wrote:
Exploding animals just doesn't seem plausible.

And if the reepah was allready dead before it exploded?
Think in an anology to whales. They do explode due to internal gas, when they are stranded.

It definitely wouldn't be a fresh kill if it was a gas explosion, though - the reason that happens is because of rot and heat increasing the levels of gas until BOOM! And the results are most certainly not fresh. Yick.

Sosiqui in Cavern

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:15 pm 

I think we can rule out an "exploding reepah disease". Rils said they found some scuff marks on trees nearby, left by the killer.

And even an exploding whale probably wouldn't leave the kind of mess he described. Pieces were EVERYWHERE.

He also said he was probably never going to feel as comfortable in Negilahn as he's been in the past.

I doubt the flowers are microphones. If they were microphones, then why do the monkeys eat them? :wink:

Well, unless they're playing video games, in which case heros die a lot too.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next