It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:02 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:18 pm 
Obduction Backer

/me thinks of 'I'm the king of the swingers' from Jungle Book. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:19 pm 

Maratanos wrote:
I think we can rule out an "exploding reepah disease". Rils said they found some scuff marks on trees nearby, left by the killer.

And even an exploding whale probably wouldn't leave the kind of mess he described. Pieces were EVERYWHERE.

He also said he was probably never going to feel as comfortable in Negilahn as he's been in the past.

I doubt the flowers are microphones. If they were microphones, then why do the monkeys eat them? :wink:

You mean the monkeys eat those things??? How big are the monkeys! I mean those flowers are massive...and don't look friendly.

-Anonymous-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:49 pm 
Obduction Backer

Sharper had some trouble sleeping last night....

[spoiler]Check out his 3/22/07 journal entry. Very interesting..[/spoiler]

Dadguy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:03 pm 

tetters wrote:
Maratanos wrote:
I think we can rule out an "exploding reepah disease". Rils said they found some scuff marks on trees nearby, left by the killer.

And even an exploding whale probably wouldn't leave the kind of mess he described. Pieces were EVERYWHERE.

He also said he was probably never going to feel as comfortable in Negilahn as he's been in the past.

I doubt the flowers are microphones. If they were microphones, then why do the monkeys eat them? :wink:

You mean the monkeys eat those things??? How big are the monkeys! I mean those flowers are massive...and don't look friendly.

They don't eat the whole thing! They just scoop some chunks off.

Well, unless they're playing video games, in which case heros die a lot too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:05 pm 

Theories are found in books but reality can be found outside the Pod.

Rils said "Through the crack in the upper hull, Doug had rigged a ladder up there and we climbed through."

Any pics of the ladder? What did DS use for constructing it? Find away...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:06 pm 

Well, an exploding whale could definitely make a mess: see here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whale_expl ... .2C_Taiwan . (Warning, there's a picture and it's icky.) But, yeah, not the same thing.

Sosiqui in Cavern

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:35 pm 

Gross! :o
You learn something new every day...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:42 pm 
Obduction Backer

The stranger wrote:
Any screenshots from the trip? :)

(if someone allready says something like that,then i'm sorry.)

The DRC is putting on the squeeze to make sure the pics don't get out, but i wouldn't be surprised to see them pop up somewhere

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:40 pm 

It is completely within all observed ecological principles that species that evolve with the characteristics of those observed to date in the Jungle pod enviornnemt would have niches with escalating levels of predation. The piniacle species would display the most aggressive and or dominant trates and indeed such prey dismemberment is common among such higher level classes. If the predator in question has developed superaxial incisors or mastication processes, such dispersal is part of routinely ordained process. It is however dangerous indeed to lower level species including nice person sapiens, and I am glad that Rils, and Nick and Sharper were cautious and are quite correctly on alert re this new development.

Such key or keystone predators would not necessarily be commonly observed, they have control a large territory and only occasionally visit any one location within that zone, hence observers and explorers may not have sighted either an indivudal from Speces X hitherto, or their prey sites. Indeed also such kestone species are often very alert and highly intelligent and would be cautious or adverse to approaching the pod itself.

Intriguing developments indeed.

"We Build Worlds"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:13 pm 

Dead people can spontaneously explode too - especially if left for many days in a hot and humid room. I've seen pictures of the results. :twisted:

This whole thing with the ripped-up Reepah makes me think of Grizzly Man. It reminds me of the part where the guy who found Timmy's remains talks about finding his head and his spine in one place, and then his upper torso in another place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:27 pm 

LinkinImp: My response to your post can be summed up with a big fat D:! *shudders*

I'm actually doing some research on apex predators on Earth to see if there are any that dismember their prey and then leave it alone (as it seemed the carcass was complete even though it was in shreds) ... seems like an odd thing to do, but I'm not discounting the possibility of a predator with unusual taste. Say, for ripping up the prey and then letting it rot for a few days, until delicious. :?

Blegh. This plot point isn't very appetizing. :lol:

Sosiqui in Cavern

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:33 pm 

Perhaps exploding is what happens when you link badly? :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:44 pm 

I certainly hope not! And, I don't think so. Surely if that was the case or possible, the D'ni would have knowledge of the phenomenon and recorded it very carefully, since linking was so integral to their culture.

Another thought on the big nasty: Maybe whatever-it-is made a kill and went to go get family (babies?) to come and eat the remains, and the exploring party happened to come in while nothing was there...

I'd be interested in seeing a very well protected and Maintainer-suited party go back to investigate or plant cameras to monitor the carcass soon to see what comes to have a nibble. No doubt Negilahn has natural scavengers as well, but you never know.

Sosiqui in Cavern

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:47 pm 
Obduction Backer

It was brought up on the DRC forums that perhaps the reepah was threatening offspring or a nest of some kind. We see similar behavior in species on Earth (I keep thinking of bears, specifically), and it could explain why the reepah was torn to pieces instead of eaten or just killed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:48 pm 

Sosiqui wrote:
I certainly hope not! And, I don't think so. Surely if that was the case or possible, the D'ni would have knowledge of the phenomenon and recorded it very carefully, since linking was so integral to their culture.

You're probably right, but what if it is a link created in a different way, by someone using a different method to the D'ni method?

But, yeah you're still probably right. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next