It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:49 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 210 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:56 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
I can't believe you guys really filled up 17 pages with speculation :shock: or that I read it all :lol: ... but since I have...

Samsbase wrote:
seems like a terrible buisness decision, they will lose all the subscribers from most of uru (except those of us that are really adamant at keeping up our sparklies) and they will have a hard time getting them back in my eyes...

Somehow, I don’t think you and I are living in the same cavern.

vidroth wrote:
If you want new stuff of the caliber of Yeesha's journey and Path of the Shell, you need to give them several months to create it. If the really good stuff could be made in 3 weeks then a lot more people would be doing it.

Here, here!

vidroth wrote:
As long as GT will keep Uru going, I'll be there waiting.

Me too! I have friends there now… plus all of this:

Dudemom_2000 wrote:
...there is plenty to keep people busy if they really want to. If you want spoonfed, look somewhere else. If you want to participate and find some fulfilling things to do, donate your time to Guild of Greeters, sign up to be a Relayer for the coming season, participate in Karaoke Night, go to the parties or meetings that various groups have, visit the various hoods who have interesting groups such as the D'ni Zoological Society, go to Spoken Word Night (always a good bet there!!!), help out new explorers, get involved in the discussions on setting up Guilds in the cavern...If you can't find something to do it is truly your own fault and you need to look within yourself for what you want out of this game. If you can't, give it a rest and come back when the new episode or season begins but save us the whining and complaining ad nauseum etc. at least be constructive in your criticisms or simply put in feature tickets for what you want. This is just my two Galleons today and I would really like some Knuts in change......

Heek, maybe a break would let me finally catch up on my cavern community activities!

Samsbase wrote:
um thats always been there, playing for free only gives you a visitor account with the first 4 ages and the hoods. Also, i'd rather pay cyan than not

Actually, Visitor status doesn’t even give them the first four ages – just the Cleft (which can’t be “completed” without the first four ages! But, they could do most of the fun things listed above! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:56 pm 

Strange. I never once considered CYAN had anything to do with the episodic format. Why would anyone think that? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:03 am 

Well my main concern is I just don't think it is worth $9.99 a month to pay for a new spark and clothing for 2-4 months and for the people outside US and Canada more. I know I am paying for gametap, but nothing there really interests me. All the other games that I am interested in there I own or have emulators for the computer (Atari, Sega...), Tomb Raider..., RealMyst, Riven etc. I am not talking about gloom and doom for Uru, but I think there will be alot of loss in interest from casual players and some possible longish term players. If I knew going into this, the off time, when I got my game tap account I would have waited a year. There will probably be no special reward for the calandar sparks just that you have 12 and they will probably repeat next year. I understand the whole short staffed thing and it takes time to create new stuff. I am in total support of Uru, but all in all I think it is a not so hot move to have this undefined gap of more than a month.

My guess for the new episodes to start was February because that is when Uru went Live and that will be a year cycle for Uru. New content February-June, August-October with 4 months off July, November, December, and January.

This is just my 2 cents, but I know alot of you probably are sick of hearing this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:13 am 

J'ffrey wrote:
...but I think there will be alot of loss in interest from... ...some possible longish term players.

Rofl, are you serious? They didn't lose interest when it appeared that Uru was dead; they aren't going to lose interest because Cyan is taking a short break. Especially since the break will result in even better content.

KI# 00140468

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:29 am 
Creative Kingdoms

Despite the Uru Live Launch being February of this year, real development resumed months before that in late Summer or early Fall of 2006. In other words, right about this time of year last year. Preview began during the "Holiday Season" of 2006. Greydragon says "the content schedule for 2008 has yet to be finalized. Both companies are working on the details of the 2008 plan at this time." This smells to me like we are in the midsts of, or coming up on, anniversaries of contracts regarding Uru Live. Combine that with the magical year of 2008 as far as Ubisoft publishing rights go, and we might have a lot up in the air to consider.

An important thing to ponder, rather than being negative, is Cyan's ability to show Turner/GameTap just what Uru Live has been, and can be, worth to them, possibly giving Cyan a position to ask for better contractual funding for increased content based upon the lessons over the past year. That can be good for everyone.

Patience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:42 am 

Well, it's a darn shame, but there's no way I can justify spending money for several months without significant new content- I like Uru but that's just not a reasonable proposition. I'll have to cancel once the season is done, hope that Uru gets its second season and hope even more that my progress can remain intact for me to rejoin later (I feel if my progress is not left intact then I doubt I will rejoin).

I have an uneasy feeling about this Episode being no great shakes for me either; I hope I'm wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:15 am 

Frisky Badger wrote:
J'ffrey wrote:
...but I think there will be alot of loss in interest from... ...some possible longish term players.

Rofl, are you serious? They didn't lose interest when it appeared that Uru was dead; they aren't going to lose interest because Cyan is taking a short break. Especially since the break will result in even better content.

Excellent point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:51 am 
Obduction Backer

greydragon wrote:
I can think of something for November.

So can I...
[spoiler]Remember the hood window decorations?
[spoiler]Gourds[/spoiler][/spoiler]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:58 am 

I may miss extra content, but when I think about the people, I truly hope that everyone at Cyan is going to spend some time with their families for the holidays - you know, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years.

Maybe we can have a lot of parties, group age-solving, glyph studies, guild discussions, new player-experienced player buddy journeys, Jalak castle competitions . . .

oh, speculate on episode 8? er, um, hmmmm, guilds and Phil ---

arguments! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:13 am 

I totally agree JW, and also QuetCat, i can think of a zilion things to do i would love to have time for in the cavern right now, i just have had a day job and a night job and been s t r e t c h e d pretty thin.....

:)

"We Build Worlds"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:23 am 

hi,
i had an odd thought a couple minutes ago, the name of this episode is called "deception(s)", right? so i was thinking, who has been here from almost the start. then it clicked![spoiler]cate[/spoiler] think about it, we dont know much about her. what if shes backwards enginering D'ni tech. like this:http://www.uruobsession.com/forum/index.php?act=ST&f=111&t=31411&s=6d33a88feca7f63e78690a623b540bee you never know, just my random nonsence,
EDIT: what if cate isn't even her real name?
-Calumon

Last edited by Calumon on Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:27 am 
Obduction Backer

Traditionally I try to keep an optimistic view on these forums and elsewhere on topics involving Uru. I've been accused of being blindly optimistic by some.

When Uru died, I held out for a while... then started playing WoW. When I heard Uru was coming back, I immediately lost all interest in WoW and stopped playing... even though Uru did not launch until another 8-9 months had passed.

So, I count myself among some of the seriously obsessed.

Now, having said that... I'm seeing that many in the community who at first seemed equally obsessed are beginning to show signs of strong discontent. I am not talking about the constant naysayers; I am speaking of people who've been supportive of Uru all along, who played in Prologue and have not left the community. Some became distant during "Until Uru" and came back for MOUL; others stuck through the whole time. But I've seen that these people are unhappy.

Their interest has wavered as content has trickled out... some have left, and come back with renewed vigor as the story has developed... but ultimately I think if we experience too long of an interruption, we're going to lose these people for good.

Over at The Great Tree, Daedalus - who has long been a member of not only TGT but also UruObsession - put it thusly:
Daedalus wrote:
I almost fully believe that Uru will never be what it was and could have been.

Regardless of the causes, that is the situation we face. There are a lot of people who feel their expectations haven't been met. Some of those expectations were never realistic. Some expectations were based on Prologue, and things are different now. But regardless, these people feel disenfranchised... and I'm not certain what we can do about it.

And so I must finish this post saying this: I hope that we hear more about the 2008 plans soon. And... though I don't mean this to sound threatening... those plans need to sound really good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:39 am 

greydragon wrote:
Samsbase wrote:
Can you confirm or deny anything for 2008 Greydragon... There will BE a season 2 wont there...

Cyan and GameTap would love to have a second season. Like I said before the content schedule for 2008 has yet to be finalized. Both companies are working on the details of the 2008 plan at this time.

:shock:

Wowwee... "would love to have" makes me nervous. Hmm.... One wonders if they are negotiating dollars and cents or content and delivery. Is Gametap happy with Uru thus far? Has anyone asked them? Maybe they can't say anything....

(Just got here this evening, haven't read the rest of this thread yet, just GD's bits and the info at UO. If someone else asked this, forgive me. )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:45 am 
Obduction Backer

If anyone, Cyan included, ever thought they were going to be able to churn out monthly Uru content at a high level, they were fooling themselves pretty badly. That's not unusual, and not necessarily fatal. But no shop anywhere can turn out a Teledahn or Ahnonnay in a month, and certainly not 12 of them.

Uru can be more than it is right now, but you've got to keep a sense of reality and look at how long it takes even the best companies to put out top-level content. Money can't fix this, adding people can't fix this. It just takes time and a little patience.

As for "can't justify the GT subscription because the 'season' is over..." where do you live, that your $10/mo. will actually buy you anything better than 900 games? That's 3 gallons of gas. One movie and half of a small soda. One Supercut, no shampoo. Come on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:53 am 

bpgisme wrote:
:shock:

Wowwee... "would love to have" makes me nervous. Hmm.... One wonders if they are negotiating dollars and cents or content and delivery. Is Gametap happy with Uru thus far? Has anyone asked them? Maybe they can't say anything....

I think "would love to have" has a far more positive meaning than a negative one.

Cyan wants a second season. GameTap wants a second season. Ergo, second season. :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 210 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 14  Next