It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:37 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 210 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:58 am 

hmm... i guess no one thinks my theroy has any merit...not the first time either! :roll:
-calumon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:01 am 
Obduction Backer

Perhaps they are negotiating for more money to hire those testers and Server admins that Cyan is planning on hiring.
Maybe they are finalizing a second contract (I think the original one is up next month or the one after).
So long as Uru is here, I will keep coming. So far, I have not been too disappointed with the content. It has been about what I expected. It would be very hard to come up with something spectacular each and every month. Think about it.
you have to design the age.
You then have to design puzzles for the age
Code it.
Test it in-house.
Control test with a select group of trouble-finders.
Launch it.

Have some sort of storyline to put out. Mostly the storyline has not matched ages, and I think that is what people are having problems with.
A "Myst-like Game" has between 4 and 6 venues, and the player goes through these ages discovering the story and making judgments as to who is good and who is bad.

Uru Prime is a "Myst-like Game". Uru Live is not. Uru Live is a progression from month-to-month or episode-to-episode of a real-life progression of events.

If they manage to get the events in sync with the ages, then more people will be happy. In the mean time, enjoy what we get as much as you can and keep the game as one of the top 3 on Game-Tap. This will allow for better content later on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:04 am 
Obduction Backer

Having never seen the watcher's sanctuary, ahnonay, or ercana before, I have not been disappointed!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:29 am 

Marten wrote:
So, I count myself among some of the seriously obsessed.

Now, having said that... I'm seeing that many in the community who at first seemed equally obsessed are beginning to show signs of strong discontent. I am not talking about the constant naysayers; I am speaking of people who've been supportive of Uru all along, who played in Prologue and have not left the community. Some became distant during "Until Uru" and came back for MOUL; others stuck through the whole time. But I've seen that these people are unhappy.

Their interest has wavered as content has trickled out... some have left, and come back with renewed vigor as the story has developed... but ultimately I think if we experience too long of an interruption, we're going to lose these people for good.

Over at The Great Tree, Daedalus - who has long been a member of not only TGT but also UruObsession - put it thusly:
Daedalus wrote:
I almost fully believe that Uru will never be what it was and could have been.

Regardless of the causes, that is the situation we face. There are a lot of people who feel their expectations haven't been met. Some of those expectations were never realistic. Some expectations were based on Prologue, and things are different now. But regardless, these people feel disenfranchised... and I'm not certain what we can do about it.

And so I must finish this post saying this: I hope that we hear more about the 2008 plans soon. And... though I don't mean this to sound threatening... those plans need to sound really good.

This is where I consider myself as well. I was there for the close down of prologue, definetly disappointing because I could see what Uru could be. Came back for UU for a long while met a bunch of cool people, but kinda faded away from that. I have been relatively quiet and satisfyed with the content until this past episode with Kirel and Jalak. Jalak looks great, but it was interesting to me for like a day. I enjoyed Minkata, reminded me of orienteering I used to do in Scouts way back. Er'cana was nice to see again, but then nothing happened in July. August came and with a very small amount of content. I was thinking wow what happened, but the realized they may be gearing up for some big releases. Then we get this news on here of the season finale in October until sometime in 2008, which has yet to be determined. I really did not expect to see that at all espeically with the little content this past episode and it looks like very little this episode as well unless we get superised with Ahnonay. I understand it takes time to develop and my expectation is not a ton of ages a month or in 2 months, but I did not expect a break for a yet to be determined period of time into 2008 either. That's were I was coming from in my post I got slammed for earlier about the longish term people and interest. I don't want to lose interest and I am sure others don't either. Just the history of this game always being up in the air causes a feeling of discontent. I am not implying it is going to get canceled. Somtimes I wish I haven't been around as long as I have and experienced the waves that has happened with this game.

Last edited by J'ffrey on Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:21 am 

Marten wrote:
Now, having said that... I'm seeing that many in the community who at first seemed equally obsessed are beginning to show signs of strong discontent. I am not talking about the constant naysayers; I am speaking of people who've been supportive of Uru all along, who played in Prologue and have not left the community. Some became distant during "Until Uru" and came back for MOUL; others stuck through the whole time. But I've seen that these people are unhappy.

Their interest has wavered as content has trickled out... some have left, and come back with renewed vigor as the story has developed... but ultimately I think if we experience too long of an interruption, we're going to lose these people for good.

This is 100% true and I consider myself to one of these people.

Its up in the air right now whether i'll be back or not, Right now, I'm really getting excited about Some PS3 stuff, I bought one to help fill in the gaps in between episodes, but honestly the episodes are really not interesting to me. I love URU, Love the series, but the story and content seems to be going down the tubes. Nothing has really gotten me excited or put me in awe in a long while which scares me. Now that I see all the newer games coming out for PC.. ect. I'm starting to see how dated the graphics and human character motion is getting. I'm going to see this season out, try really hard, and if they go into stasis for a couple of months, I'm gonna cancel gametap. I got gametap for URU solely but they seem to be playing games in advertising them, which upsets me and hurts the game in the long run.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:05 am 

I just wonder what the time in-between will be done. Is it a time for developing new ages for the season 2 or is it a time for bug-fixing, or is it a time for making new contracts, developing new storyline ...That's what I really like to know.
And please, GD, don't say only "A little bit of all"!

-Qvist #25056

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:19 am 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Ichabod_L wrote:
*snip*
Cyan wants a second season. GameTap wants a second season. Ergo, second season. :wink:

There is also the factor who else wants a second season... do we? Would other people as well?
I want a second season.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:29 am 
Obduction Backer

Qvist wrote:
I just wonder what the time in-between will be done. Is it a time for developing new ages for the season 2 or is it a time for bug-fixing, or is it a time for making new contracts, developing new storyline ...That's what I really like to know.
And please, GD, don't say only "A little bit of all"!

I think that "A little bit of all" would be the right answer there :lol:
Most of the work being bug fixes and creating new ages.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:22 am 
Obduction Backer

vidroth wrote:

As for "can't justify the GT subscription because the 'season' is over..." where do you live, that your $10/mo. will actually buy you anything better than 900 games? That's 3 gallons of gas. One movie and half of a small soda. One Supercut, no shampoo. Come on.

I live in England, and my monthly subscription only gives me MOUL, nothing else. If I'm not getting anything for my money, why should I keep paying ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:31 am 
Obduction Backer

MartG wrote:
vidroth wrote:

As for "can't justify the GT subscription because the 'season' is over..." where do you live, that your $10/mo. will actually buy you anything better than 900 games? That's 3 gallons of gas. One movie and half of a small soda. One Supercut, no shampoo. Come on.

I live in England, and my monthly subscription only gives me MOUL, nothing else. If I'm not getting anything for my money, why should I keep paying ?

PSssst.... big secret:go to http://www.gametap.com, log in with your MOUL account and download the Deluxe player. It works!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:51 am 

Awww, they should have done the season finale in September. I mean, HL2:Ep2, with Portal and TF2, will be out on October 9! Who will have time for MOUL after that? ;)

(In case you missed it ===> ;))

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:04 pm 
Obduction Backer

Well I don't know about ;-) but I'm pretty excited about Portal...

MO:ULagain KI# 657726

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:21 pm 
Obduction Backer

Hamsta wrote:
Well I don't know about ;-) but I'm pretty excited about Portal...

Yep - looks cool 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:34 pm 

vidroth wrote:
If anyone, Cyan included, ever thought they were going to be able to churn out monthly Uru content at a high level, they were fooling themselves pretty badly. That's not unusual, and not necessarily fatal. But no shop anywhere can turn out a Teledahn or Ahnonnay in a month, and certainly not 12 of them.

Uru can be more than it is right now, but you've got to keep a sense of reality and look at how long it takes even the best companies to put out top-level content. Money can't fix this, adding people can't fix this. It just takes time and a little patience.

Well for a start, I live in the UK, so no, I'm not getting those games (yeah you can get the Deluxe player but it doesn't give you the whole lot, is completely unsupported etc.)

Not that they would really interest me anyway, to be honest.

People often talk of the 'oh it's only a movie ticket' argument but life doesn't work like that, that you can just justify all spending so. I do not have much money and I have to be very careful with how I budget my spending, and monthly costs easily mount up. My spending on Uru is definitely impacting on my ability to spend on other things that interest me. It's a simple cost/benefit analysis- am I getting enough benefit (i.e. personal enjoyment) relative to the cost?

During the months without new content, the answer for me is very simply 'no'. If others feel that for them the answer is yes, then great for them! It's just not worth it for me.

I'm not abandoning the game. I am simply only interested in paying for it during the periods when new content is being released. That's hardly unreasonable.

(I'll also be frank- GD only going so far sas saying that people want a second season- indicating the possibility, even if small, that there won't be one, is also a factor in me bowing out at that point. I'd definitely wait for it to be confirmed befoe I considered returning. It's all very well saying that everyone wants one so therefore there will be one, but the matter may be more about practicality than desire)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:13 pm 
Obduction Backer

Marten is right. I am one of those that are here since 2003. Prologue, UU and now MOUL. Right now, and with GD announcement of the end of the season in october, I don't feel satisfied with the way things are turning. If you think deep, the only REAL Age we had this year was Minkata. Erc'anna and Ahnonnay were already stuff they had. Paying to have a big age once a year is not what I had in mind. I was thinking they will deliver us 4 big ages per year. Ages like Garre, Kadish, Tele and so. After all, when you pay $60+ for 12 months, that is the amount games like Uru-ABM (with 4 big ages) costs, like Myst IV and Myst V. Paying just to have a few pages, a few pods, a few Jalaks and to chat on line? No, thanks. I really want to be wrong. But what scares me most is that, with the scenario they are giving us, what we will get per year is this - only one big age and a lot of little stuff to entertain us for the season...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 210 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next