It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:41 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 210 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:36 pm 

I wish we would have been told from the beginning that we were going to have a "season finale". I don't remember any mention of endings when episodes were announced and it may have changed many perceptions of what to expect from Uru from the start. In the past few months I have really enjoyed the community excitement and discussions that have happened around each episode.

The new "we hope" statement implies that it may not be a possibility to have future episodes and as someone who has been actively defending the monthly improvements, frankly it has caused me to pause...

The play on words and subtle clues are great when issued from the DRC to encourage us to imagine great conspiracy theories and search out answers– but from Cyan... it makes me a little nervous. I like many– have only purchased my year of GameTap just for Uru, (still not much for the Mac), and was content with that- but how quickly I got spoiled and don't want to see an end to any story!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:48 pm 
Obduction Backer

Jenine: "I wish we would have been told from the beginning that we were going to have a "season finale"."

Cyan may not have known from the beginning. There's no way to say, without a direct answer from GD, when they made this scheduling decision.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:54 pm 
Obduction Backer

Regarding "Real Ages"... while not very explorable, it's hard to deny that we've gotten some pretty amazing stuff.

The two gardens were beautiful, but had no particular history attached to them, nor any plot surrounding their release. They're a wonderful place to go and visit with friends if you're a social player, but as someone who just wants to "do everything", once you've gotten your piece of the donut, there's not much reason to revisit them. However, there was one small point that was made about the gardens... I believe it was Marie who let us know that the cloths and door were definitely not there when they started restoring them, and in fact came and went at least a couple of times during the process.

On their own, each of the four pods was... well, pretty cool for a few minutes, but not that interesting beyond that. But when viewed as a whole, along with the map, as well as the slowly unfolding plot regarding the animal killings made for a pretty cool experience. Not mind blowing, but certainly interesting, and... well, if you choose to adhere to the "you are you" philosophy, it was hard not to be at least a little scared of the creatures in the pods suddenly appearing and shredding you to bits.

Minkata is certainly the centerpiece of the ages released thus far, featuring a very clever puzzle and an overall amazing presentation. It also seems like it may be a key point of the Bahro war, given the symbol that became our eventual goal in that age, and it's relation to the events in the cavern with the girls and the collapse. Unfortunately thus far, there's been little resolve regarding the symbol, but who knows what the future will bring. It took a few months before the slaughters in Negilahn made sense, and not only that... but it also loosely ties back into Minkata.

You could argue that Er'cana was just rehashed content, but it's worth pointing out that most players in MOUL have never experienced Er'cana before now, and for them it was a completely new age. And for those of us who HAVE been there before... the lake lighting effort gave it a new spin to spend time with, if you chose to. Working with your fellow explorers to figure out the best possible recipes to put forward into the light lighting effort is something that you could pour a lot of time and effort into. There's more to it than "Get the cloths, get the donut, go home", or even "Drop a pellet, oh hey, it lit up, I did my part".

I will stand by my stance that we really do need some sort of overall progress meter for the pellets, however. Not a percentile of completion, just an overall total. We've got the neighborhood imagers which will now display the total for each neighborhood, IF the explorers choose to upload their points... but that's a far cry for an overall total. It'd be a good way to judge whether or not people are still working on it, or if they've given up on the project.

Jalak is harder to justify, because it's going to be different for each person. Some of us will find it as an excellent creative outlet, and spend countless hours designing games and putting together artwork with the pillars, shapes, and marker missions. Others will run in, grab the sparkly, and yell "THAT'S IT?!" then leave. I've done both, depending on the mood I was in that day.

And of course you can't forget all of the areas that have been opened to us as part of the cavern. The Watcher's Sanctuary, Kirel, the Great Shaft, all of these places, while having little to play with and interact with, are dripping with history and potential for future plot development.

We've been Live for about nine months now, and while you could argue that we haven't gotten much in the way of content... looking back at what we have, it seems like we've gotten a fair amount. It's just that not everything we have pleases everyone. Some of what we have is liked but just about everyone, some is liked by half, some by less than that. But they continue to try new things.

With what seems to be two more episodes before the end of the "season" (though I really hate that term, and have always been bothered by the move to episodes), I think that while "Uru Live: Year 1" hasn't reached the lofty heights that many of us were expecting after so many years of waiting, it's certainly well on it's way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:54 pm 

Funny how episode 8 Speculation has turned into episode finale speculation :P

I say give cyan there chance to catch up.
Anyway, has anyone even stop to think that new contracts and whatnot may give us the uru we want, and cyan more staff and money to do that?

EDIT:
WOOOOOOOW! Just had a brain wave!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
What if they plan to release the age creating software for the break to keep up busy?!
That would explain why there wasn't much content recently, because there trying to finish that up, and why the guilds were opened up and there are new guild areas in the next episode.

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:03 pm 
Obduction Backer

darkling27 wrote:
Anyway, has anyone even stop to think that new contracts and whatnot may give us the uru we want, and cyan more staff and money to do that?

I don't know if anyone has noticed, but Cyan has some job openings, which obviously means that something good is going on. :D

Ki #782729

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:05 pm 
Obduction Backer

Uruboo wrote:
After all, when you pay $60+ for 12 months, that is the amount games like Uru-ABM (with 4 big ages) costs, like Myst IV and Myst V..

A normal game is about 2 years development, if not 3. You can't expect cyan to do a 3 years job in one year.

One again, development takes time. Why don't some of you people realize this ? Yeah, no miracle, this is reality guys, code don't appears with a flick of magic wand.

Quote:
Erc'anna and Ahnonnay were already stuff they had.

They had to redo these almost from scratch. because the 3d engine have been changed, all the programing need to be redone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:11 pm 
Obduction Backer

Only the 'paintwork' for Er'cana and Ahnonay didn't change - physics engine - havok to physx: graphics - plasma upgrade + direct x 9: new network code. All ages have been pretty much rebuilt from the ground up underneath.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:13 pm 

darkling27 wrote:

EDIT:
WOOOOOOOW! Just had a brain wave!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
What if they plan to release the age creating software for the break to keep up busy?!
That would explain why there wasn't much content recently, because there trying to finish that up, and why the guilds were opened up and there are new guild areas in the next episode.

:D

Now THAT'S an idea I like :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:24 pm 

Sorry to say that, but I´m sceptic. We never get real information about what is going on on Cyan`s side, everything posted here is mere speculation.
So we really do not know if there is to be a second season.
I really love this game and have been playing since Prologue, but I will not pay for GT without MOUL for the mere chance that there will be more sometime next year.
Remember : First they told us there would permanently be bits of new content . Then they changed to monthly episodes. But now there was an episode in June, one between July and August, the next one will be in September. Thats not monthly. I can count.
I do not mind these facts, but I do mind not being told whats going on. This really disapoints me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:40 pm 

It's not that we don't understand what it takes to make the Uru the game that we all gravitate too. We are all smart enough to understand the sweat equity and passion it takes to create the "world" we enjoy and inhabit for a few hours each month. I just wish the true nature of episodes would have been revealed from the beginning. We are now focused on "the end" because it has been only been revealed now. I think Cyan knew if they told us this from the beginning we would have focused on the end before it even started and more than likely it would have changed our perception of the episodes and how we react to them.

I signed up the same time in March as a friend of mine– thinking we could enjoy the game together and I have dedicated many more hours than she did. Today she is emailing me asking if it is "over?" because she saw the words season finale! I will take the time to explain the episodic content but how many others don't get the same feedback?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:55 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Am I the only one who feels this is not just a game, but a unique experience? That I'm not paying for a steady supply of puzzles to solve? That URU is about "being you" and immersing yourself in this amazing world, surrounded by the most creative community in gaming? And, through immersion, we experience this as a realistic exploration and restoration effort - which "realistically" means long periods of daily grind and routine work, interspersed with rare and spectacular discoveries? So, while the DRC is busy restoring the ages of D'ni, we spend that time rebuilding the community of D'ni?
/me wanders off, mumbling to herself, "I'm here to help restore the lost city of D'ni."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:59 pm 
Obduction Backer

Tai'lahr wrote:
Am I the only one who feels this is not just a game, but a unique experience? That I'm not paying for a steady supply of puzzles to solve? That URU is about "being you" and immersing yourself in this amazing world, surrounded by the most creative community in gaming? And, through immersion, we experience this as a realistic exploration and restoration effort - which "realistically" means long periods of daily grind and routine work, interspersed with rare and spectacular discoveries? So, while the DRC is busy restoring the ages of D'ni, we spend that time rebuilding the community of D'ni?
/me wanders off, mumbling to herself, "I'm here to help restore the lost city of D'ni."

Rest assured, you are not alone! It seems, however, that those of us who agree with you simply seem to be less vocal.

Thank you for speaking up!

Ki #782729

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:01 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
Now, having said that... I'm seeing that many in the community who at first seemed equally obsessed are beginning to show signs of strong discontent. I am not talking about the constant naysayers; I am speaking of people who've been supportive of Uru all along, who played in Prologue and have not left the community. Some became distant during "Until Uru" and came back for MOUL; others stuck through the whole time. But I've seen that these people are unhappy.

Sure. they are the people that are the most unhappy. Because they are also the ones who had the greater expectation from uru, thinking that Cyan would work miracles. But this is real life, and miracles don't happens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:09 pm 
Obduction Backer

Samsbase wrote:
seems like a terrible buisness decision, they will lose all the subscribers from most of uru (except those of us that are really adamant at keeping up our sparklies) and they will have a hard time getting them back in my eyes...

Other MMOs go months and months without new content, I'm not sure why people would go fleeing from this one...

...except for the fact that the Uru fan-base seems to have devolved into a seething mass of false expectations, constant demands, and resentment over imagined absolutes.

KI#00001498
Officially bonked R.E.B.E.L.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:40 pm 
Obduction Backer

Robert The Rebuilder wrote:
greydragon wrote:
I can think of something for November.

So can I...
[spoiler]Remember the hood window decorations?
[spoiler]Gourds[/spoiler][/spoiler]

How about the Gahreesen Wall for November?

I don't mind there being a Season Finale. In TV it usually has a cliff-hanger and the promise of new stuff. Yes, we have been getting old stuff from TPotS and such, plus some new stuff, but think back to the old days of UU when we never expected ANY new content all! Now we get ALL of CC in one year! Quite amazing and worth the bucks I paid. And it's WONDERFUL to play with you guys in these ages we thought were long gone. I say let Cyan take the time they need....I can wait.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 210 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next