It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:36 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Spy room & Relto: why?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:03 pm 
Obduction Backer

[spoiler]So, all of a sudden, a linking tablet appears (someone must have deliberately placed it there) in a commonly-known niche in Teledahn that leads to a sort of spy room that reveals no new information except that (1) the D'ni spied on each other and (2) someone in recent years has been using the room, possibly to spy on the DRC, and they left behind a Relto book. The book leads to an anonymous Relto that contains a huge quantity of unfamiliar books (locked down) and a DRC jacket.[/spoiler]

Obviously, whatever it was is now blown wide open. Can anyone explain what's going on here and what these developments serve?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:12 pm 

Quote:
someone in recent years has been using the room, possibly to spy on the DRC,

This is relative Sharper used that room to spy on the DRC over Four years ago.

The Relto book is Phil's (Or his KI name phend if you prefer). Any way his real name is Phil Henderson and he dissappeared in a accident four years ago when Uru first happened. Currently he has come back and is acting a bit spacy, but he seems to be in a happy place so more power to him. If you want the full story of why his old relto book is there you can check in the barons office, or read Sharpers journal over at the DRWP.

Mostly the Old Spy Room and Phil's Relto are a large nudge to people that felt the call after the DRC left the cavern last time. (So far)

Last edited by MustardJeep on Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:13 pm 

Douglas Sharper used the spyroom to spy on the DRC at one point in time. When URU was first launched, I believe players had access to it, but Sharper went and removed the Bahro stone at some point. I believe some of this information can be found in Sharper's journal in Teledahn.

The relto that you link to is Phil's, he of the crazy dialogs of late. Sharper was in possession of Phil's relto book and apparently hid it in his spyroom.

A really good place to start to learn a lot of this history is to read Sharper's journal. It's very informative.

KI #6725475

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:34 pm 
Obduction Backer

Ok, but did Sharper say why he replaced the Bahro stone? Is he trying to make a point right now, if so, what?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:42 pm 

One day when he was on he did mention that he was going to re-open the spyroom. Not sure if he gave a reason as to why. Although, several Explorers have asked him if/when he was going to allow access to it again.

You can read the logs over in the General forum if you want to catch up on the storyline. They're stickied at the top.

KI #6725475

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:45 pm 

Sharpers gone off to join the battle with the good bahro, I am not sure he was the one to place the stone.

I could speculate for hours on how this was the start of Phil's journey that got him so in tune with the Bahro but it would just be smoke in the wind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:26 pm 
Obduction Backer

I guess there's really not a whole lot of in-game explanation for this month's "Ages". Those of us who've already seen it all before know the original context, and are just assuming it hasn't changed.

MOULa KI #32712
MOULa KI #23298
MOUL KI #35129
D'mala KI #74265
Gehn KI #10113

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:32 pm 

For some reason the chat log of Sharper's visit isn't listed in the General Discussion forum. I thought I was going crazy and hallucinating his visit when I didn't find it there. lol

I found a link to it however - http://www.uruobsession.com/forum/index ... 31614&st=0

Douglas Sharper: I'm goin go open up the spy room again - I think we're going to need it.
Douglas Sharper: At least it'll be a place to hide when this place turns into a battle zone.

KI #6725475

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:35 pm 
Obduction Backer

Since we've seen it before, we know it *has* changed. In POTS, Sharper tipped us off to the existence of the spy room... accidentally, I guess, because he didn't know people were sneaking in and reading his journal.

This time he's opened it deliberately. Here's what Sharper said on Sunday:

Quote:
Douglas Sharper: I'm goin go open up the spy room again - I think we're going to need it.

Douglas Sharper: At least it'll be a place to hide when this place turns into a battle zone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:37 pm 
Obduction Backer

(Which is interesting. He's implying that if Bahro decide to enter the Cavern overtly, they'll miss the spy room... which is strange, since there's certainly nothing keeping them out. Or did he mean Phil's Relto?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:02 pm 
Obduction Backer

Well, for one thing, I don't think that sharper was the one who replaced the link. First, the original link in PotS was a _book_ not a bahro stone. This leads me to beleive that the bahro replaced the link to that room, and that makes me wonder how 'secure' it would be against the bahro. Unless it has some sort of special properties that would keep the bahro out.

'recalls sharper mentioning that the bahro were afraid of hanging rocks, and that being the reason for the ones in teledahn that you shoot down with the air gun. (to keep them from moving the bahro link to the upper half of gahreesen)'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:47 pm 
Obduction Backer

Nadnerb wrote:
Well, for one thing, I don't think that sharper was the one who replaced the link.

Of course, Belford quotes Sharper (above) as specifically saying he was going to "open up the spy room again". That implies that Sharper is able to install, if not create, Bahro stones. (Or somebody at Cyan made a boo boo.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:28 pm 

mdoudoroff wrote:
Nadnerb wrote:
Well, for one thing, I don't think that sharper was the one who replaced the link.

Of course, Belford quotes Sharper (above) as specifically saying he was going to "open up the spy room again". That implies that Sharper is able to install, if not create, Bahro stones. (Or somebody at Cyan made a boo boo.)

No, if you read Sharper's journal carefully, you'll see where he mentions that he has found a linking stone and that he was hiding it.

Why Sharper thinks that the spy room (or Phil's relto) will be a safe haven during the bahro wars is unexplained, since a linking stone implies that the bahro know all about it. It's a little odd. (part of the "deception", perhaps?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:35 pm 

Depends on which 'group' of barho provided the stone

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:35 pm 
Obduction Backer

Phil's Relto was, for me, one of the highlights of PoTS. It was so haunting and quiet and still. And now it is full of people jumping all over the crap. People on top of the hill, people on top of the hut, people on top of the roof supports.... how they get there is a mystery to me. I jumped and jumped and never got nowhere. Grrrr.

And now this sanctuary is littered with pop bottles and cans and cigarette tushies....(figuratively of course).