It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:36 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Phil's Relto
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:27 pm 

So I arrived at Phil's Relto and the first thing I noticed was his bookshelf had a whole lot of other Ages that aren't available... Will these ages eventually be available or are they planning to bring out different Ages? That is, if they are bringing out new Ages at all...

Cheers for the comments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:25 pm 
Obduction Backer

The plan was to make new Ages available and at some point have a full shelf, but things went bad for Uru: Uru Live was cancelled, the single-player game saw little sales, as did the second expansion pack, then Cyan put all the finished content they had for Uru into MYST V. After that, Uru got revived, with a much smaller staff than before, and then cancelled again.

Now our best bet is on fan Ages, until Cyan has the money to continue their story and add new Cyan-made Ages.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:08 pm 
Obduction Backer

The interesting thing about Phil's Relto bookshelf is that it's quite a bit different from ours... that is, different from the bookshelf we presently have in MOULa. It's basically as it was in the offline Path of the Shell expansion (or Uru: Complete Chronicles).

You can see the tabs in Phil's Relto with the handprint, arch, and shell icons which help the player identify which age is primarily associated with which of the three available (single-player) quests. (...1) Ages Beyond Myst, 2) To D'ni, and 3) The Path of the Shell) All the books AFTER the the last shell tab (Myst) were not available to the player, but were added to Phil's Relto to imply he had explored a great deal more than we had.

As far as our bookshelves becoming filled are concerned... well...

Perhaps the ending has not yet been written.

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:22 pm 
Obduction Backer

Here are a few book shelves for comparison. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:03 am 

I've never noticed anyone mention the fact that there was a book that bears a striking resemblance to the Nexus book, but with a different color. To me, this seems to imply that a second Nexus may have been conceptualized. Perhaps Cyan intended there to be a second Nexus possibly associated with the City proper or something?

KI: 03390194

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:15 am 
Obduction Backer

Latharion wrote:
I've never noticed anyone mention the fact that there was a book that bears a striking resemblance to the Nexus book, but with a different color. To me, this seems to imply that a second Nexus may have been conceptualized. Perhaps Cyan intended there to be a second Nexus possibly associated with the City proper or something?

Try not to infer much from Zandi's Junk (which is what the dummy books are called in the code, for some reason). As of yet not one has found a counterpart in released age and it's unlikely that they were made with specific ages in mind. More likely they just made some nondescript spines, including palette swaps of existing books (there's the red Nexus, the grey Teledahn, a dull green hood, etc.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:18 am 

Im pretty sure the third empty section in MOUL next to the Neighborhood and City books was meant for the City Proper. I was thinking the second Nexus may be the Maintainer's Nexus in Gahreesen (which was only accessible via The Wall) [spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Fear is the mind-killer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:51 am 
Obduction Backer

Latharion wrote:
I've never noticed anyone mention the fact that there was a book that bears a striking resemblance to the Nexus book, but with a different color. To me, this seems to imply that a second Nexus may have been conceptualized.

I believe it has the D'ni number three on it. Niffty for more speculation. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:55 am 

Who knows what Cyan was thinking at the time. I am pretty sure though that they didn't just "retexture all the old books" because this is counterintuitive to their behavior past and present. Cyan has demostrated a great attention to detail, and the inclusion of a book with the same spine as our beloved Nexus book would stir up quite a controversy (which is a good thing as it sparks imaginations!) It may very well be that their intent was to simply help stir players imagintations, and that they never really intended any more than that, but the shear fact that they put that much thought into it is intriguing.

Loshem, I was unaware there was a Maintainer's Nexus at the top of the Wall. I've never actually seen the top of the wall, as I became aware of Uru just after the week they closed up the first time (which was very sad). Although I've done the Uru CC hack thing (to see what was there), I didn't notice that particular place! Thanks for the screenshot.

KI: 03390194

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:14 am 

The Maintainer's Nexus is an oddity in that it is actually located IN Gahreesen and not its own Age (IE using a certain hack you can get to it in the offline version) but in UU when The Wall was turned on you would access it via the green tubes on either side of The Wall (which are currently there but not functional) and after climbing to the top you would be linked "out" to the Maintainer's Nexus where you would find a single linking book that would take you back to the viewing rooms. The MN served no other purpose than to get you back to the main part of Gahreesen.. and to remove the Maintainer's Suit.
The problem was that due to several odd bugs a few anomalies could happen. 1: the linking book in the MN wouldnt work and you had to Relto out, or 2: the Maintainer's Suit would stay permanently on your character allowing you to go back to any area while wearing it. This bug actually led to Cyan including it as a collectible in Path of The Shell.

Fear is the mind-killer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:57 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Interesting topic. Thanks to semplerfi's pictures and Latharion's note about the second nexus book, I was inspired to really examine these books for the first time, and even visited Phil's Relto last night for a closer look. There also appears to be a second neighborhood book - which would make sense since there are two hoods: Bevin & Kirel.

But, what I found most interesting was the appearance of two pod age books on the top shelf with PoTs symbols on their latches.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:25 pm 

If we're busy finding symbolism in Phil's shelf, consider the faint numerals on the lower Books.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:10 am 
Obduction Backer

Loshem wrote:
The Maintainer's Nexus is an oddity in that it is actually located IN Gahreesen and not its own Age (IE using a certain hack you can get to it in the offline version)

Please take note that Loshem is talking about coding and how the game is structured, not the IC explanation. IC, the Gahreesehn Nexus is a separate age, as it must be to allow linking to and from Gahreesehn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:28 am 

Tai'lahr wrote:
... and even visited Phil's Relto last night for a closer look. There also appears to be a second neighborhood book - which would make sense since there are two hoods: Bevin & Kirel.
You may recall in URU:CC, the Kirel book (and only the Kirel book) is unlocked in Phil's Relto. For some reason, I think URU:CC's Kirel -- which has an Egg Room stocked with Bahro stones linking to the City's Nexus stands and the Great Zero -- is Phil's home bevin.

Susa'n KI#1040105 (member Shorah gah bigtotee's Hood)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:19 pm 

Kirel was the DRC's home neighborhood originally. Please note, Kirel and Bevin are two separate neighborhoods. Phil Henderson was a Restoration Engineer in charge of Eder Kemo where he went missing behind the journey door before turning up months later and madly preaching the word of Yeesha. It makes sense that Kirel would be his home hood because being a ResEng he was officially employed by the DRC

Fear is the mind-killer