It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:14 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: City Silo
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 5:38 pm 
Obduction Backer

where in reference to the city is the Silo. I have the coordinates but they mean nothing to me:

1913 / 1563 / -163

any help would be appreciated!

Cennie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 5:50 pm 
Obduction Backer

Don't be alarmed, it's not somewhere you can get by searching the city.

The Silo is where you test pellets.

If that's not hint enough: [spoiler]The Silo is reached from the end of Er'cana.[/spoiler]

Not sure what you meant by the coordinates "mean nothing to me," if you mean you can't reach them then see above, if you mean you don't know what they're for then you have lots of fun ahead of you, you need to calibrate your KI.

VidRoth -- KI#50637

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 7:08 pm 

The coordinates are the angle from the GZ zero line (in torans) which goes from the GZ through the center of Kerath's Arch, the horizontal distance from the GZ (in spans), and the elevation in reference to the GZ (in spans). The GZ observation pod is at the 0 elevation point so most locations in the Cavern are below that level.

Converting everything gives the following:

The Uran District (later renamed D'ni-Ashem'en) and we know as the ErcanaCitySilo, is approximately 11deg clockwise of the zero line running from the GZ through the center of Kerath's Arch. It is about 3.95 miles from the GZ and about 2173 feet below the level of the GZ. It is further out than both Bevin and Kirel and probably is in another smaller cavern.

In comparison, Bevin is almost 13 deg counterclockwise from the zero line, at a distance of 2.5 miles and about 950 feet below the level of the GZ.

Ferry landing and the lake are 1240 feet below the GZ which makes it lower than Bevin but higher than the silo. (I could never figure out how dropping pellets in the Silo did any good since the lake is so much higher...)

For backgorund: In 5359 DE, King Me'emen ordered the contruction of a new industrial district, Uran, to replace Nehw'eril. Contruction actually began in 5475 DE. About a year after the death of his only son, about 5541, Me'emen change the name to Ashem'en to honor his son.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 7:50 pm 
Obduction Backer

ahh John you may have answered my question.

So you cannot see the silo from any part of the city..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 8:20 pm 

It's hard to say if the Uran District is on the wall or deeper beyond it. The D'ni used both of their big tunnelling machines (Stone Tooth and Stone Eater) to excavate the area. Bevin and Kirel are on the main Cavern wall and the Silo is quite a bit more distant beyond both of them although the circular nature of the cavern and the location of the main island can be make guessing problematic.

Comparing the map engraved on the floor of the Great Zero and the Atrus map of the route from the Cleft to the Cavern seems to raise more questions than it answers. Atrus's map shows a large district on the Cavern wall somewhere off in the general direction of K'veer (and Uran) with a large number of tunnels behind it.

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 5:40 pm 
Obduction Backer

John,

I must say, when I was in the city, I told eveyone i needed to find
someone who was die-hard Myst fan. Wow I found him!!

Thank you so much for your replies/information. You have truly
answered my question. I will keep you in mind the next time
i need that die-hard fan again!!

Thanks a bunch!
Cennie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 10:17 pm 
Obduction Backer

johnsojc wrote:
Ferry landing and the lake are 1240 feet below the GZ which makes it lower than Bevin but higher than the silo. (I could never figure out how dropping pellets in the Silo did any good since the lake is so much higher...)

Isn't there a ladder in the silo to climb and you can see a lake through a 'spillway'? I don't know the KI co-ordinants but I can clearly see an orange lake out there..Maybe the pumping station (my guess) provided the necessary psi to get the water up to the lake in Ae'gura?

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:30 am 

Charura wrote:
Isn't there a ladder in the silo to climb and you can see a lake through a 'spillway'? I don't know the KI co-ordinants but I can clearly see an orange lake out there..Maybe the pumping station (my guess) provided the necessary psi to get the water up to the lake in Ae'gura?

The elevation at Ferry is -93 spans. The upper level of the silo and the "spillway" is -163 spans, a 70 span (933 feet) difference. Taking a look around outside the silo shows you in a relatively small cavern, quite unlike the cavern where Ae'gura is located. Perhaps this particular area is an algae breeding pond where the algae are prepared to be added to the lake at a controlled rate and concentration. We have to consider locations underground in 3 dimensions. There is no reason that the silo has to be at the same depth as any other part of the city.

I have a terrible time getting a good picture of this area...
[spoiler](and that is NOT Kerath's Arch in the distance)
Image[/spoiler]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:39 am 

looks like Kerath's Arch to me.. seems like, since you werent intended to be able to see much through the tower, Cyan used an old mudpie image as a flat texture.

Fear is the mind-killer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:37 am 

It may well be an old texture of Kerath's Arch but the KI coordinates make it impossible (unless the silo was simply built at the wrong coordinates). Does anyone know if the KI coordinates relate directly to the model coordinates of where in 3D space the game objects were built?

I flew out to see and it looks less like the Arch the closer I get.
[spoiler]This image is a bit dark... it almost looks like a pipe running up a wall...
Image[/spoiler]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:21 am 

That's clearly the Arch.. it's just turned at an angle. Compare it to this image of D'ni from the MUDPIE era

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Fear is the mind-killer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:21 am 

Well, that certainly appears to be the same. MUDPIE was before my time as I started during the "great mistake". This would indeed seem to indicate that the Uran district was supposed to be just across the lake from Ae'gura and dropping pellets in the silo should mean the pellets are dropping in the lake. As we love to say here when watching TV, "CONTINUITY ERROR!". I'm sure some plausible IC explanation can be crafted to explain away this discrepancy in elevations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:49 pm 

The elevation could be explained by these two images, which seem to be of the same place. One concept art, the other a mock-up recently posted by Eric Anderson. They are both from the City Proper or perhaps the City Center..

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Fear is the mind-killer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:13 pm 

I was going by the elevation coordinates of the water level at the silo and at Ferry... there is still over 900 feet of difference. Of course there is no reason not to think that the silo is in a deeper sub-level under the buildings that are visible at the level of the lake. But there is really no way (based on current KI coordinates) the silo can have the coordinates it does and still have the arch visible from the silo. (We'll just have to imagine that the arch we do see is not really Kerath's Arch.) :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:25 pm 

Well, as I said, it was never intended for us to be able to see the textures outside the silo as it is. When/if they ever intended to open that door above the catwalk they most likely were going to change the background scenery. What is there currently is simply a placeholder background.

Fear is the mind-killer