It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:16 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Stuck in Gahreesen
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:42 am 
Obduction Backer

I'm playing through Gahreesen, and have come up against a wall (literally) that prevents me from continuing. I need to get to the control room on the inside of the spinning gears, and can get into the little alcove just fine, but once I'm in there I can't exit to either room again, and have to link out. I remember just running against the wall and popping through when a door came along, but it's not working. Is this a glitch, or is there a trick I've forgotten?

I'm not new to Uru Live, and have played through the entire game before, but this is a new avatar and it's admittedly been several years. I know what I need to do next, and even consulted a walkthrough to confirm it, but I'm stuck. :(

Post subject: Re: Stuck in Gahreesen
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:04 am 

Have you tried you tried a reinstall? I've had some issues with the game that were fixed that way.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:34 pm 
Obduction Backer

Try deleting the TOS.txt file. Moul(a) will then check all the files in your installation for faults and missing files. This may not be the problem, but you can give it a try.

Moul(A)II Charura KI#296707 Char Gearz KI#600002 Teri Dactyl KI#600568 Chickopee KI#601018 Cannon Belle KI#601422

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:33 pm 

Seems to me, that you have to run jump, not just run...but it has been a bit since I did this and I did not pay close attention last time. I almost do the ages robotically now...lol

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:28 pm 
Obduction Backer

Run-jumping didn't seem to help, so I'm trying the reinstall. Will let you know.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:29 pm 
Obduction Backer

Sel'Tahna wrote:
I remember just running against the wall and popping through when a door came along, but it's not working.

Running can work but since you keep ending up in the back alcove perhaps try just walking or walk-jumping. I know I've been stuck in the loop of running all the way through before I can stop. To break the pattern I try something else like walking and the change usually helps.

Grump Old Man comment: Whoever added that little rear alcove was b]EVIL[/b]. What the heek would its purpose be in-game except to confound folks? it must take at least 10 running steps to reach it. In RL you would probably stop well before the alcove... which the crack just happens to be passing just as you reach the rear alcove... even though you have to wait so long for the crack to pass you when you are trying to get in. Time warp?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:10 pm 
Obduction Backer

HenryMikel wrote:
[/dni]Running can work but since you keep ending up in the back alcove perhaps try just walking or walk-jumping. I know I've been stuck in the loop of running all the way through before I can stop. To break the pattern I try something else like walking and the change usually helps.

Grump Old Man comment: Whoever added that little rear alcove was b]EVIL[/b]. What the heek would its purpose be in-game except to confound folks? it must take at least 10 running steps to reach it. In RL you would probably stop well before the alcove... which the crack just happens to be passing just as you reach the rear alcove... even though you have to wait so long for the crack to pass you when you are trying to get in. Time warp?

Henry, I'm not sure I understand. I thought I'm supposed to enter that alcove and wait for the opening I want to come around and walk out. Every walkthrough I've checked says the same. I've included an image. My avatar is walking against an invisible wall and I can't exit through either opening. I have to link out.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 9:47 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Is your PC a laptop? This may sound a little perverse, but if so, you could take it to friend's house or somewhere where you can get a different network connection and try again there. I've seen this issue mentioned before and I think it's a kind of "lag" related problem that means that when you "see" the opening and when it is actually present in the physics aren't linked.
An alternative would be to try logging in to your account using a different PC, if that can be arranged (difficult, I know). Or if there's someone you can trust with your account login, get them to go through the opening for you and pass it back to you after they've got the journey cloth in the room.

[Edit] Some other suggestions:
  • If you're running full screen, try it windowed. If you're running in a window, try full screen.
  • Try reducing the display resolution.
  • Try turning off shadows.
These are all things that might alter "lag" effects.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:50 am 
Obduction Backer

I have just tried it with a fresh avatar and I cannot reproduce the problem. I did find that I had to keep walking against the wall/opening before popping out in the middle of the gear.

You could try turning around as soon as you get into the crack and beginning to walk against the rotating wall straight away. Keep going until you are well past the opening to take care of any lag, in case that is part of the problem.

The wall that you are walking against has a repeating pattern, and I count ten repeats after I've turned around, so you could wait and start walking after eight repeats, if you don't want to wear your nose away :)

By standing in the middle and counting the repeats of the heavily crazed pattern that looks like an impact of some kind, I count 11 between the place you get in and the gear room, and six between gear room and back to the starting place.

Can you get out back into the place you started from? You should just be able to walk out...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:16 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Hanging around with mermaids. And still looking for the elusive Funky Bahro.
Mac_Fife wrote:
Is your PC a laptop? This may sound a little perverse, but if so, you could take it to friend's house or somewhere where you can get a different network connection and try again there. I've seen this issue mentioned before and I think it's a kind of "lag" related problem that means that when you "see" the opening and when it is actually present in the physics aren't linked.
An alternative would be to try logging in to your account using a different PC, if that can be arranged (difficult, I know). Or if there's someone you can trust with your account login, get them to go through the opening for you and pass it back to you after they've got the journey cloth in the room.

[Edit] Some other suggestions:
  • If you're running full screen, try it windowed. If you're running in a window, try full screen.
  • Try reducing the display resolution.
  • Try turning off shadows.
These are all things that might alter "lag" effects.

I've had this problem in the past, and, when it did happen, it was always on my laptop, never my desktop PC. It may simply be a case of the laptop not being powerful enough to overcome a lag that happened at that moment.

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Magical Mystery TOOO 643784
Institution TOOO 816645
Karaoke TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

Murinna (the mermaid) 2484723
Mallina (the other mermaid) 3015052

Second Life: TOOO Fall

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:28 pm 
Obduction Backer

Shorah everyone,

I'd agree that lag is the likeliest problem here. When the first offline version of Uru (Ages Beyond Myst) was released back in 2003, Gahreesehn was the only Age my friend and I could not play at all on her fancy desktop PC; it would bring her PC to its knees every time the Age started trying to load. She ended up buying a very expensive upgraded state-of-the-art video card (complete with its own dedicated fan!) just so we could play Uru through to its end.

With our much more sophisticated and powerful hardware today, it's easy to forget that in its infancy, Uru was bleeding edge stuff! I'm sure Gahreesehn remains the most resource-intensive of the original Ages.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:26 pm 
Obduction Backer

Yes, lag is a major problem at this point in the game. I had to use satellite internet (notorious for its latency) during most of Gametap MOUL, and I had to lug my desktop into work to get past this spot. And to get to the central mesa with the journey cloth.

Gahreesen was the most demanding age for the computer I had in 2003. I didn't have the recommended amount of RAM, so when I fell off the mesas I would go to the kitchen and could wash a few dishes before my avatar linked back into the game. And I did a lot of falling!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:50 am 

@ Sel'Tahna

I have enhanced & checked your image and saw that you were standing at the extreme ride side of the opening.

Have you tried from the left side ? It would maybe give you one second of extra time for your laptop to adjust/compensate for the lag time. Also try these two forms for moving forward... walking no jump/running no jump.

Edit:
Also try from the middle of the opening

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:18 am 
Obduction Backer

Mac_Fife wrote:
Is your PC a laptop?

I have a desktop, and a fairly new one at that, albeit a Windows 8. I also have a decent internet connection, better than I had when I last played, but it's not wifi. My computer plugs into a box that connects to the dish outside. My Windows Vista never had this problem when I played a couple years ago. I adjusted windowed mode, resolution, texture quality, shading and details, etc, with no change. I also reinstalled the game, and restarted the world, and created a second avatar who also had the same problem.

AlanD wrote:
Can you get out back into the place you started from? You should just be able to walk out...

No, I can't exit back to the hallway, I must link out to leave.

Artic_Wagon wrote:
Have you tried from the left side ?

I happened to be standing on the right for the picture, but have tried the entire range of the opening, and every combination of walking, running, and jumping. A friend linked in with me, and was able to pass into the gear room with no trouble, so it definately seems to be lag, though the rest of the game seems to be lag-free as far as I can tell, and I'm having no other trouble in any age. I spent several revolutions running against the wall, and could not interact with the openings in any way when they came around.

Fortunately, my friend was able to get the place powered up so I could enter from the hall and finish the age. I wasn't able to fix the problem, but was able to work-around well enough.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:37 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Hmmm... The mention of a dish outside is maybe a clue. What I've seen here previously with satellite internet is that although you might get good (or even excellent) download speeds, it tends to have pretty poor latency ("ping times") and that can seriously affect your experience. I've seen pings of over 1000ms reported and anything over 300ms is probably going to give you trouble at some points.

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.