It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:12 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:18 pm 

Without spoiling the hunt, is there any other use to the glowing machine in Descent that lights up your Ki temporarily? I tried going up and down the shaft to look for hidden doors or things, I thought about other dark places in Ages, and I think it can be used in Eder Gira in the dark caves instead of the fireflies

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:32 pm 

Fireflies
[Reveal] Spoiler:
Eder Gira needs fireflies from Kemo only

KI Light
[Reveal] Spoiler:
If you are fast enough to reach your Nexus before the light extinguishes, you will keep the KI light until you log out. Unfortunately, it won't be visible for you only for other explorers.

The Descent dark corners
[Reveal] Spoiler:
You cannot do much in the descent. If you follow the path upward, you will after 2 or 3 révolutions fall off. The same if you go downward.
If you gently fall off the ledge right in front of the door you will reach a collision wall at mid-way between the door & the bottom of the shaft. You can always move on the said collision but it's very dark down there.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:31 pm 
Obduction Backer

Other than Annabelle's skydiving tricks, the answer is no. The machine you mentioned is a broken KI programming terminal.

There are two of them in the game; there's also a broken programming terminal in the prison atop Gahreesen II. In-game, the purpose of the terminals is to add new programs to KI devices that allow them to perform new functions. The device in Gahreesen one issues KI devices with basic programming that allows you to access level one security doors in Gahreesen I, as well as take pictures, make notes, send KImail, etc. There are differently shaped programming terminals in the Great Zero, which add KI marking and navigation functions to a device.

There are locked doors in the Great Shaft, so the terminal there may have been intended to add a security code to KI devices that would allow access to the locked areas, but that's a WAG. Really, it serves no useful purpose because the light doesn't last long enough to do anything.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:44 am 

So is the light some kind of flash-light program? And it doesn't last long because it's broken?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:37 pm 
Obduction Backer

Your guess is as good as anyone else's. There's no information for it anywhere in-game. I think it must have had a more important purpose than just that, but the KI light was either part of it, or a malfunction induced because it's broken. Which is true? I have no idea.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:28 pm 

One thing I try to remember is that the D'ni machinery, of all types, large to small, are very old and have gone without any significant maintenance for thousands of years, so a certain level of malfunction is to be expected and should be regarded as part of the normal game play.
Also, if I recall correctly, way back in the early days of the forum, there was much discussion regarding the intentional programming of some seemingly randomized "mechanical glitches" within the games source code in order to reinforce the notion of how long the D'ni civilization was here before coming to our attention.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:12 pm 

coffeemancer wrote:
Without spoiling the hunt, is there any other use to the glowing machine in Descent that lights up your Ki temporarily? I tried going up and down the shaft to look for hidden doors or things, I thought about other dark places in Ages, and I think it can be used in Eder Gira in the dark caves instead of the fireflies

In MOULa, you can visit a bot's Descent AKA D'ni-Tiwah to explore the Great Shaft area more fully. It may help a little to press F4/Graphics Settings and slide the Gamma lever all the way to the right.

FYI, I made a short quest (marker game) for the glitch that Annabelle described.

In Myst V: End of Ages you will have greater access to the Great Shaft via normal game-play.

Susa'n KI#1040105 (member Shorah gah bigtotee's Hood)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:28 pm 
Obduction Backer

Zaphod22 wrote:
One thing I try to remember is that the D'ni machinery, of all types, large to small, are very old and have gone without any significant maintenance for thousands of years, so a certain level of malfunction is to be expected and should be regarded as part of the normal game play.
Also, if I recall correctly, way back in the early days of the forum, there was much discussion regarding the intentional programming of some seemingly randomized "mechanical glitches" within the games source code in order to reinforce the notion of how long the D'ni civilization was here before coming to our attention.

The shaft was completed in D'ni year 9340, which spanned the years of 1684 and 1685 on the surface. So none of the machines in the shaft are much more than 332 years old even if they'd been built earlier and transported there. However, that's plenty old enough for malfunctions to have cropped up.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:10 pm 

Annabelle wrote:

KI Light
[Reveal] Spoiler:
If you are fast enough to reach your Nexus before the light extinguishes, you will keep the KI light until you log out. Unfortunately, it won't be visible for you only for other explorers.
[/spoiler]

The KI Light bug
[Reveal] Spoiler:
once you place your hand in the KI machine in Descent, every player who links into any age you visit After you do can see you glowing (even though you yourself can't). This works even if the light goes out before you leave Descent. Players who link to an age before you won't see the glow.