It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:58 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:57 am 

Note to List Moderators:

If you think that this information is in any way untoward, then please feel free to remove it from the forum. Without prejudice, my sole intention is to show people how to run URU Live on Windows 2000 using a freely available Microsoft Utility. To the best of my knowledge, this does not break any License Agreements with Cyan, Gametap, Ageia or Microsoft. The freely available Microsoft utility simply makes the Gametap program believe it is running Windows XP rather than Windows 2000, nothing more. It is not my intention to harm in any way any of the companies mentioned above.

================

Shorah.

I have come up with a simple and elegant solution to allow people to play URU Live on Windows 2000.

[Please, no flames about if Windows 2000 is or is not a good operating system, too old, etc. This post is simply here to help those who choose to use it.]

This is a long post. It is also my first one, so please forgive any mistakes I make in posting. Even though these instructions seem complicated, they are very simple. You also only have to do the installation once. After that you can just start URU Live as usual.

If you need detailed instructions, scroll further down this post.

Quick(ish) Instructions

There is a small, *free* Microsoft utility which allows you to tell *any* program, that you are running it under *any* version of Windows you choose! In the case of people wanting to run URU Live under Windows 2000, this is the solution.

Here is what Microsoft says about their utility:
"Summary: AppVerifier is a useful tool for testing applications for compatibility issues with Microsoft Windows XP. This tool can be used to test for a wide variety of known compatibility issues while the application is being exercised."

(Highlights are mine)

Since we are currently beta testing URU Live, I feel it would be a good idea to “exerciseURU Live in a Windows 2000 environment to see how well it performs. I am sure that even though Cyan and Gametap do not officially support URU Live under Windows 2000, they would in all probability, be interested in how well it does perform. If there are no problems it can only mean more happy clients for them. Hopefully, if all goes well, they will remove the restriction of running it under Windows 2000.

So here is what you do.

This link:
http://www.filewatcher.com/m/act26.exe.6945768.0.0.html

shows a couple of places to download the Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit from. The utility program we want to use, called Application Verifier, is part of this toolkit

This link:
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms807121.aspx

describes its general use.

NOTE: After you install it, do *not*, repeat *do not* allow the program to update to the current version. The current version (3.3) only works under WinXP, which defeats the whole purpose. We want to use version 2.6. If you updated it by mistake, remove it from the Control Panel > Add/Remove Software and re-install it.

After you install the program it will appear under "Programs" on your Start Button menu as Windows Application Compatibility Toolkit.

Quick Steps:

It is assumed you have already installed the Windows Application Compatibility Toolkit. For detailed installation instructions look further down the post.

NOTE: First, make sure you know where the gametap.exe file is. If you installed Gametap to the default location it will be found in "C:\Program Files\GameTap\bin\release\gametap.exe", otherwise you will have to look for it in the location where you installed it.

1. Click the START button and select Programs > Windows Application Compatibility Toolkit > Windows Application Verifier
2. Click the ADD button, navigate to and add gametap.exe to the list and Click Open
3. Make *sure* that gametap.exe is highlighted in blue in the AppVerifier list.
4. Tick *only* the HighVersionLie setting on the right. Make sure no other items are ticked
5. Click the Options button and then select the HighVersionLie Tab
6. Change the numbers you see to these 3 NEW values: Major Version = 5, Minor Version = 1, Build = 2600. Then Click OK.
7. Make *sure* that gametap.exe is highlighted in blue.
8. Click the Run button.

That's it!

Gametap will now start up as usual.

Enter your screen name and password
Find the URU Live Picture on the Screen and click it.
A Larger URU Live image will appear in the center of the screen. Click it.
A screen will appear with a yellow button highlighted that says "Get the game". Click on it.
It will take an hour or so to download and then URU Live will install itself.
If the PhysX screen keeps appearing over and over again every time you say "Yes", then say "No", quit Gametap and go to this link:

http://www.ageia.com/drivers/drivers.html

Download the 6.12.2 drivers. The file should download to your computer as PhysX_6.12.02_SystemSoftware.exe
Run this setup to install the latest PhysX drivers. They will install just fine on Windows 2000.

Now that URU Live is installed on your Windows 2000 computer, you have a choice of how you start it.
If you want to start by going through Gametap, then make sure that you have gametap.exe highlighted in the AppVerifier program and click the Run button. This is necessary as the gametap program will test to see what version of Windows you are running everytime you try and start URU Live. The AppVerifier program will ensure that Gametap "sees" Windows XP even though you are actually running Windows 2000.

On the other hand, the easiest way to run URU Live is to simply locate the UruLauncher.exe and make a shortcut on your desktop. And with this method, you don’t need to use the AppVerifier anymore. It is only needed when launching through Gametap.

If you installed Gametap in the default location, it should be here:
"C:\Program Files\GameTap\volumes\games\140000150\data\UruLauncher.exe"

I'm not sure about the 140000150 directory. Your system may have a different number.

From this point you are all set. I currently run URU Live perfectly fine in Windows 2000 and things work normally. I am not aware of any Windows XP specific features that URU Live absolutely needs to use, so if anyone knows, please drop a note to this thread.

The History

When URU Live was announced, my wife, daughter and I all signed up and got 3 Gametap accounts in anticipation of playing. We did this so we could all explore together as a family on 3 separate computers in the house. All our computers used Windows 2000 (W2K). Then shortly afterwards, it was announced that W2K was no longer going to be supported. Apparently this was due to the PhysX engine from Ageia refusing to install under W2K. Needless to say we were all very disappointed. Actually *fuming* would best describe it. However it was not directed at Cyan, Gametap or Ageia, we were just upset with the situation. So like it or not, we were forced to upgrade all 3 to Windows XP. So we did. Now, like most people I don't like to be forced to do anything and it has always bothered me, particularly as it has not been proven to me the *technical* reason for it. I also thought about all the other people who could not afford to upgrade but still wanted to play URU Live. My heart went out to them as I thought of all that disappointment around the globe. But as time went by, no one came up with a solution, so I started mulling it over...

I have been a programmer for 20 years and so I put on my programming hat and started thinking about the problem from a technical point of view. When people with W2K click on the URU Live "Get the Game" button on the Gametap screen, a "System Requirements" window will appear and will have WinXP or later operating system highlighted in RED. It says the game will not work. This happens very quickly, so obviously the program checks for the version of Windows that is running. The function call that virtually every programmer uses to do this in Windows is called GetVersionEX(). It simply checks the version of windows and returns a lot of numbers, the most important being the Major Version and the Minor Version. Internally Windows XP is numerically referred to as version 5.1. The Major Version is 5 and the Minor version is 1. Windows 2000 is internally referred to as version 5.0. The only difference is the minor version. Gametap looks for version 5.1 and refuses to install on anything else.

So how do you make a program believe it is running on a different version of Windows? I spent several days thinking about it, then I remembered from way back several years ago I had used a small, free, virtually unheard of, utility from Microsoft called the Application Verifier. This utility I thought would be ideal. So I tested it and it worked flawlessly. It's amazing all the little things your brain remembers.

So after having verified everything, it was time to document the procedure to share with all you good people.

Detailed Instructions
------------------------

These are for people who need step by step instructions to run URU Live in Windows 2000

Step 1 - Download the Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit 2.6

Go to the following the link for the locations to download the Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit 2.6:
http://www.filewatcher.com/m/act26.exe.6945768.0.0.html

Or direct links are here:

ftp://139.30.8.115/pub/tools/microsoft/ACT/us/act26.exe
ftp://ftp.uni-rostock.de/pub/tools/micr ... /act26.exe

Alternatively, use Google and search for act26.exe and find your own sources to download it from.

Step 2 - Install the Application Toolkit 2.6
a) Double-click the act26.exe file you just downloaded.
b) A Welcome screen appears. Click Next >
c) The License agreement appears. Click "I accept.." and then Click Next >.
d) The Customer Info screen appears. Your default info is there. Change it if you want or just leave it as is.
e) Where it says "Install this application for:", just select "Anyone who uses this computer", then click Next >.
f) The Destination Location window appears.
g) Keep the default location "C:\Program Files\Windows Application Compatibility Toolkit\" then click Next >.
h) The Ready to Install screen appears. Click Install.
i) Your browser will probably appear with some information on the Application Compatibility Toolkit. Just close your browser.
j) You will see the "InstallShield Wizard Completed" window. Click Finish.
k) That's it for installing the Application Toolkit 2.6

Step 3 - Install Gametap
Note: You must already have an account with Gametap before you can download the gametap_setup.exe file.
a) Double click the gametap_setup.exe file
b) The Welcome screen appears. Click Next >
c) The License agreement screen appears. Click “I accept…” and then click Next >
d) The Choose destination screen appears. You can select your own location or just accept the default. For our purposes here, we will accept the default, so click Next >.
e) The Shortcut Window appears. Make sure there is a tick in the Desktop box and then click Next >
f) The Ready to Install screen appears. Click Install.
g) Gametap now installs and then shows the "InstallShield Wizard Completed" window. Make sure the "Launch Gametap" tick is selected and then click Finish.
h) You will probably get a Gametap Updater window saying that an update is available. Click YES.
i) After a few moments the Gametap updater window will appear. At the time of writing (Dec 22-2006) it says "Updating to Version 1.7.0.7041. This may change depending on when you install. This will take a few minutes, so why not get a cup of coffee.
j) OK, After a while you will probably get a Welcome Window saying it is going to update Gametap to Version 1.7.0.7041 (or newer). If so click Next >.
k) The Shortcut Window appears. Make sure there is a tick in the Desktop box and then click Next >
l) Gametap now updates if it was required.
m) Make sure the "Launch Gametap" tick is selected and then click Finish.
n) Gametap will now start to initialize itself. This could take a while, so it's good you've already got your coffee. Relax and wait for it to finish.

Note: If the PhysX screen keeps appearing over and over again every time you say "Yes", then say "No", quit Gametap and go to this link:

http://www.ageia.com/drivers/drivers.html

Download the 6.12.2 drivers. The file should download to your computer as PhysX_6.12.02_SystemSoftware.exe
Run this setup to install the latest PhysX drivers. They will install just fine on Windows 2000.

Now that URU Live is installed on your Windows 2000 computer, you have a choice of how you start it.
If you want to start by going through Gametap, then make sure that you have gametap.exe highlighted in the AppVerifier program and click the run button. This is necessary as the Gametap program will test to see what version of Windows you are running everytime you try and start URU Live. The AppVerifier program will ensure that Gametap "sees" Windows XP even though you are actually running Windows 2000.

Step 4 - Run Gametap through the AppVerifier
1. Click the START button and select Programs > Windows Application Compatibility Toolkit > Windows Application Verifier
2. Click the ADD button, navigate to and add gametap.exe to the list and Click Open
3. Make *sure* that gametap.exe is highlighted in blue in the AppVerifier list.
4. Tick *only* the HighVersionLie setting on the right. Make sure no other items are ticked
5. Click the Options button and then select the HighVersionLie Tab
6. Change the numbers you see to these 3 NEW values: Major Version = 5, Minor Version = 1, Build = 2600. Then Click OK.
7. Make *sure* that gametap.exe is highlighted in blue.
8. Click the Run button.

Enter your screen name and password
Find the URU Live Picture on the Screen and click it.
A Larger URU Live image will appear in the center of the screen. Click it.
A screen will appear with a yellow button highlighted that says "Get the game". Click on it.
Another window will appear with a yellow button that says PLAY. Click it
Then another window appears with a yellow button that says START PLAY. Click it.

You’re in!

On the other hand, the easiest way to run URU Live is to simply locate the UruLauncher.exe and make a shortcut on your desktop. And with this method, you don’t need to use the AppVerifier anymore. It is only needed when launching through Gametap.

If you installed Gametap in the default location, it should be here:
C:\Program Files\GameTap\volumes\games\140000150\data\UruLauncher.exe

I'm not sure about the 140000150 directory. Your system may have a different number.

From this point you are all set. I currently run URU Live perfectly fine in Windows 2000 and things work normally. I am not aware of any Windows XP specific features that URU Live absolutely needs to use, so if anyone knows, please drop a note to this thread.

So that’s it

If you end up using this method, drop a comment to this post. It would be interesting to know how many people found it useful.

Shorah

Linux

Last edited by Linux on Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:45 pm 
Cyan Employee

This is believed to work; however, Cyan Worlds, Inc. will not support this method. Use at your own risk.

Thank you for making this possible