It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:59 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:14 am 

belford wrote:
If you make your own plans, you take the risk that Cyan's plans won't take yours into account. If you *don't* make your own plans, you *guarantee* that Cyan's plans won't take yours into account.

Brilliantly succinct. Guess which one I choose. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:29 pm 
Obduction Backer

belford wrote:
If you make your own plans, you take the risk that Cyan's plans won't take yours into account. If you *don't* make your own plans, you *guarantee* that Cyan's plans won't take yours into account.

Bingo! And that's not a bad choice to make, but it's one that I think many people didn't realize was on the table. The people, like the Guild of Cartographers, who have been doing and being and functioning independantly of Cyan all along, are going to breeze into their Guild Hall with no problems, even if how Cyan says they want a Guild of Cartographers to be, is different than what they are now.

But groups that are going to have to work to decide who's in, who's out, who does what, may find all their hard work hucked out the window, if Cyan's plans are significantly different from the ones that have worked hard on.

Doing this *should* be fun, and not focused on being 'official' or 'falling behind' (this is a race?), but it's a bit less fun for people, being under pressure.

KI#00001498
Officially bonked R.E.B.E.L.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:12 pm 
Obduction Backer

Eleri wrote:
belford wrote:

Bingo! And that's not a bad choice to make, but it's one that I think many people didn't realize was on the table. The people, like the Guild of Cartographers, who have been doing and being and functioning independantly of Cyan all along, are going to breeze into their Guild Hall with no problems, even if how Cyan says they want a Guild of Cartographers to be, is different than what they are now.

I like what you've said here, Eleri. This idea that "something" hasn't been done is a little short-sighted, in my personal opinion. Groups in the community have been doing (and doing, and doing). They (we) still are doing (and doing, and doing)...

Quote:
But groups that are going to have to work to decide who's in, who's out, who does what, may find all their hard work hucked out the window, if Cyan's plans are significantly different from the ones that have worked hard on.
This is also a very good point, and perhaps more to Cate's point of avoiding the re-invention of the wheel. Those groups that have been doing don't need new self-appointed bosses, councils, or "apply to me for approval to be nominated" because those groups don't have any authority to make any decisions about any of those issues. The working groups (we) already know what they are doing, because they are doing it.

Edit: Meant also to add that there is no guarantee for any group their activities would be automatically get "in" to any guild, although it would make sense that they would if their work could fit in some way (according to Cyan's future guidelines)

What needs "doing" besides getting some additional help (I see that need in several threads), is to talk together, which IMHO is what this thread is doing, and what the MOUL forum is for. Talking together is the first step in getting anywhere.

Quote:
Doing this *should* be fun, and not focused on being 'official' or 'falling behind' (this is a race?), but it's a bit less fun for people, being under pressure.
Absolutely. Given that most fans are doing what they do as volunteers, it doesn't make sense to do it when it's not enjoyable in and of itself. If it is also for the enjoyment and service of the community, what a bonus for the community! But doing anything voluntarily in order to gain fame, power, or to be first (somewhere...) only serves the cause of anger, fear, and divisiveness when none of those things materialize in the end.

A story: De Landria

Ghaelen: Moula.2 KI #64299

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:05 pm 

While the introduced Guilds can form, grow and become something unofficial within UruLive, efforts made in creating structure and agenda for such might very well be watched by Cyan providing them possibilities for shaping and grooming their own Guild system agenda and requirements.
While the idea of player/ guild members becoming part of and contributing to the "Official Urulive Game" storyline and game content is exciting, time and energy spent could be wasted in waiting for Cyan to reveal their plans and agenda for these Guilds first. (Already stated in this thread, but felt it worth repeating.)
I don't discount any efforts made towards forming and organizing Guilds around those the DRC has put out and maybe Cyan is truely watching and waiting to see what forms with a creative ability to lend it self to their own Game vision. I do know that UruLive has a great many talented and creative members, members that if properly tapped into, could provide Game content and story to UruLive that could help speed the process of lacking game content. ( Let it become the Gamers Game) With the costs of creating new ages and rendering old ones into play, Gametap should tap into the player members talents and abilities by way of the Guilds as a new and inexpensive source for game content. While Guild members may not receive monitary compensation for their contributed works, they would be greatly respected and cherished by all in the community with some braggin rights and something to point to. I see the Guilds and what they could potentially contribute as a means to boosting UruLive away from another possible death. Guess I would just Like to see UruLive become more than just a fancy glorified game chatroom. I also would like to point out that we all should realize that while many of us are waiting for new puzzles and content, the existing game content is rather extensive for Newbies!! With that said, UruLive will always have those who come and who go, but at the core will always have us diehards!

P.S. It should be recognized that as Game content grows, so does the costs to maintain and provide more and more space on the server.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:50 pm 

Hey there. I was a long time Uru Live player until it went down and while we didn't make waves that much, a group of us formed what was called "The Brotherhood". We were in direct conflict with the DRC and had a stance of "Why is the DRC keeping us from sections of Uru? Why do they treat us like children?" angle. I actually contacted Cyan to see if a group like this would be ok and that we aren't as players protesting them, but generating drama (by allowing another side for players to join). They said it was fine and they understood.

Personally, I think there SHOULD be an opposite to the DRC. Some group that wants to open up every area of Uru and who wants to bring Uru to everyone instead of a select few explorers. IMHO, there needs to be some conflict (while still maintaining everyones enjoyment of course). I'm not talking PvP or anything silly like that. But a group that goes against the norm.

The Brotherhood wants to be that group. :)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3