It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:03 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:26 pm 

Yes, everyone can do whatever they want. All I say is that I won't play a server with swords or such. That's another thing of open source.

Beside, didn't the d'ni used guns? nevermind...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:17 pm 

Tomala wrote:
Two words. "Open Source".

Two more words: "Programming Skills" :wink:

There are people that want, and people that do, but they might not necessarily do what others want :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:06 pm 

The stranger wrote:

Beside, didn't the d'ni used guns? nevermind...

The only D'ni weapon I can remember is a "blowtube" used to put "the stanger" to sleep in Riven. :lol: :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:46 pm 
Obduction Backer

Lynnutte wrote:
It's just like a noobie to bring a sword to a gun fight. :lol:

Exactly. Bring HEAT, not cold steel. :wink: 8)

Better post late than never. Hi Lynnutte

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:39 am 

There was also the Shroomie gun...

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah
Guild of Cartographers Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:18 am 
Obduction Backer

There is no Shroomie gun.

There is a mining gun the DRC had installed in Teledahn. It is harmless to people and Shroomie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:37 pm 

Artic_Wagon wrote:
The only D'ni weapon I can remember is a "blowtube" used to put "the stanger" to sleep in Riven. :lol: :P

That wasn't D'ni, it was Rivenese. The gun that Gehn packs may be a D'ni design, though. (It's also possible he designed it himself from scratch.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:09 pm 

How do we know the DRC installed the Shroomie/Mining gun and how do we know what it was used for?

I meant the name Shroomie gun more in the line of Shroomie Place gun. But how many did not try shooting toward Shroomie to see what would happen?

It did not work well in the flying insect like things.

Since it shatters rock, wouldn't it be kinda hard on people?

Whatever, we know the D'ni had the tech to make guns. Unless there is something in the books, I don't remember much of anything that would tell us how the D'ni used weapons. There are guilds for everything. But no guild of armed services or whatever. I would assume they did not need a military. No point adding one now...

Nalates - GoC - 418 - MOULa I: Nal KI#00 083 543, MOULa II: KI#00 583 875Nalates 111451 - Second Life: Nalates Urriah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:31 pm 
Obduction Backer

Sharper's Journal 6.1.01

http://drcarch.thecitadel.nl/documents/sharper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:27 pm 

Quote:
6.1.01 - Back to work here. I’m installing a gun of some kind down on the docks. It’s a D’ni mining instrument I believe. Regardless, the DRC, of all people, want it set up. Strange.

6.30.01 - Gun is up. Not working, but up. Laxman will have to get it working, or at least give it a shot. Not familiar enough with this kind of D’ni technology.

I had completely forgotten.

I would take the writing to mean it is thought to be D'ni mining equipment. Sharper thought of it as a gun by his descriptions. So, it would seem the D'ni are still pretty much gun free. While I forget the DRC did set it up, it was not something they originally created.

The only other reference I can find to this is in a converstion with Sharper. (LINK: D'ni Gehn Gun) Search the page, its near the end.

Quote:
Dusante: too bad all the flappers are inside the gates though
Douglas Sharper: I think the pods are moving away from where the people are. I’ll try to work on some ways to draw her in.
Chwith: very whal like.
Dusante: cant lure her close enough
Douglas Sharper: You all deserve a good look at her.
Lucas: hopefully that day will come
Dusante: yeah
Chwith: cool
Dirk: would ben very nice
Tweek: indeed
Dusante: wonder what the DRC thinks of her
Douglas Sharper: Cautious. What else?
Chwith: I think that’s why they wanted the gun
Tweek: lol
Dusante: that mining gun seems a little, freaky
Douglas Sharper: Believe me, they did not want the gun.
Dusante: I hope nobody tries to shoot her
Dirk: maby that is what she scared of
Chwith: Then why is it there?
Tweek: shoot her?
Dusante: yeah, but we had to use it to get to that upper slave room
Dirk: since the drc wanted it there for our safety
Tweek: nah I got a good view of her through the gun once. wouldnt shoot her tho
Douglas Sharper: It’s not there to shoot Shroomie, I’ll tell you that.

There is/was Gehn's gun at Cyan's office. LINK: D'ni Gehn Gun - picture

In 2003 there was speculation about Gehn's gun. LINK: D'ni Gehn Gun - speculation

Not much else on D'ni guns.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:58 pm 
Obduction Backer

TY for... the rest of the story. :wink:

Nice research. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:41 am 
Obduction Backer

The historical potential of a sword-bearing, oath-taking, code-following group in Dni is rather interesting to me. Of course some group somewhere that was D'ni or related to them would have used swords -- a sharp-edged implement that would wound or kill? Oh yes, someone would have preferred that to poison, or guns, or shoving whomever off the cliff. Call it protection if you like, or whatever side of medieval knightship you prefer (chivalrous gentlemen or thugs on horseback) but I do think it could well have existed. Some would have lived by a code of honor (like the medieval code on earth). Some would have liked the personal power such a weapon would have afforded them. And some.... hmmm, revenge might have been sweet.

I can see the historical story interwoven into the edges of the Dni history and can imagine some present-day explorers finding something that might have been a very beautiful sword-like weapon. The best part of the story for me are the clues, the textual fragments, and the objects that pique our interest just by sitting there. What a puzzle. I don't see myself, as an explorer, reviving that group's code or way of life, but I can see that there might be a group of explorers that would. Just like on the surface.

There was violence in D'ni history. Being interested in that historical story doesn't mean I will ever pick up a sword and wield it. But I would certainly want to see the artifacts and participate in the study or interpretation of what they reveal.

A story: De Landria

Ghaelen: Moula.2 KI #64299

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:07 am 

@ghaelen... I think I see your point.

In the context of human history all your ...postulations... are correct. While the D'ni may have been human ancestors or a separate race, I don't think we have anything that tells us that. But, I may have forgotten that also. So, the ideas of what we human types would have done probably doesn't hold up. Or at least I can see no reason for it to IC-wise.

I think this part of the story is open. This would mean it is likely up to the fans to create it. I think a significant part of the fan base would vote against usable weapons. I doubt they will have much objection to decorative weapons and artifacts. But, who knows?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 5:21 pm 

Samurai? Soldiers? Swords?

Dude, do you seriously have any idea why they made URU? A place where levels, combat, and ranks aren't meant to be made. It's the exploration that counts and the mystery of the ages. I think warriors and combat are cool. But in Myst/Uru/Riven/etc.? Noooooo. I would refuse to be on a server with swords. Guns? Fine, because Ghen used one. It's official. But a sword?

Why do you think soldiers today don't fight hand to hand anymore? Because if they did they wouldn't reach halfway through the battlefield. They would be gunned down. Do you think if a guy is holding someone else hostage with a gun you are going to use your sword to stop him? Yoda could do it easily, not man who is exploring a cave and thinks Dynasty Warriors is the greatest game on the planet. The skills don't transfer from the console to the human being. They stay on the console. I can't stop cracking up about this idea :lol:

Why would you do this? This is incredibly funny. I can see it now:

"Explorer1: Dude, have you seen the new gun they found from the D'ni restaurant?
Ex2: No WAY! Dude I wanna see it!
Ex1: Yea, it is so epic! Although we have no idea how it works.
Ex3: I have a sword!
Ex1: . . . . . . . . . . .
Ex2: . . . . . . . . . . . .
Ex1: Just leave . . . seriously . . . leave . . ."

Goloth: 06046426

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:41 pm 

ThedStranger wrote:
However, it gives me an interesting idea. Maybe we could have some more maintainers ages, where there will be "test facilities", with all sorts of dangers and whatnot. And the player needs too blow put on a miantainer suit and find his way out, using high-suit jumps, or some sort of suit cannon (special suits only?), and these kind of stuff.

Heh. I've been wanting to do this for years. :D (Seriously, the Maintainer suits are supposed to be totally impregnable, within reason. Hot lava wading, anyone? Sub-ice swimming?)

I'm waiting until I know how the software/open source content is going to shake out before I go totally nuts with it ...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next