It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:05 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:44 am 

I find it kind of funny. Everyone in this thread is under the assumption that normal physics apply to the ages the D'ni wrote. Yes they did have restrictions, and yes they did have laws governing the ages. But are you guys forgetting that, if youve read the Book of Atrus, that impossible ages do exist. Look at Cathrines ages. She literally defied our known physics with her ages. Just thought I would drop my two cents.

MOULa KI # 04178211

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:43 am 
Obduction Backer

i thought the point of her ages was that they employed the laws of physics most elegantly. im afraid from my perspective the laws of physics are not variable, that is to say, that two plus two is always four, and likewise, the laws of gravity and motion and energy will not change. i suppose it is possible that the magnitudes could be slightly different. the gravitational constant could be slightly smaller, or slightly greater, but it all needs to balance out eventually. its very unlikely that any stable universe would looks so much like ours, and yet run on different rules.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:29 am 

1helios1 wrote:
i thought the point of her ages was that they employed the laws of physics most elegantly. im afraid from my perspective the laws of physics are not variable, that is to say, that two plus two is always four, and likewise, the laws of gravity and motion and energy will not change. i suppose it is possible that the magnitudes could be slightly different. the gravitational constant could be slightly smaller, or slightly greater, but it all needs to balance out eventually. its very unlikely that any stable universe would looks so much like ours, and yet run on different rules.

You are correct. After I went back and took another look, they werent impossible according to physics just according to the laws of the D'ni. I think next time Ill do a bit more research before I post. The one age I always assumed was the most extravagant was her "donut" age.

MOULa KI # 04178211

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:47 am 
Obduction Backer

yes, that age was very interesting, i have had a good bit of fun speculating about the forces at work to make such an age possible

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3