It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:35 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:09 pm 
Obduction Backer

If I build a theme that is adapted to work for Drupal, Joomla, Wordpress, phpBB, Mediawiki, and for pure HTML pages, will that make it better? I've already themed for Wordpress and Mediawiki, and Joomla seems fairly simple from what I can see. Once my basic HTML is done, could anyone give me pointers for Drupal and phpBB?
EDIT: After looking more carefully, Drupal seems fairly standard, so I guess I won't need help with that. I think I can finish the basic layout in about a week, and then I'll start with Joomla and Drupal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:47 pm 

Drupal uses plain HTML and CSS, but for more advanced stuff you need to be able to program the Drupal Theming Hooks in PHP: http://drupal.org/documentation/theme (GoMe uses Drupal 6)
Also read the Best Practices: http://drupal.org/node/360052

However always remember that it's not sure everyone will accept your design

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:58 pm 
Obduction Backer

It doesn't really matter if it's accepted or not, to me. I hope it is, but if it isn't well, I can try again. :D
And thank you for those tips.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:27 am 
Obduction Backer

I have just finished my first mock-up of the Guild of Maintainers layout.
You can download it at : http://lyros.co.cc/uru/GoMa-1.0.zip
Just download it anywhere on your computer and open in your navigator index.html. This layout was tested in Google Chrome 10 and Mozilla Firefox 3.6 on Ubuntu Linux 10.10. It will probably not work in old versions of Internet Explorer (my guess is 6.0 will destroy it, and 7.0/8.0 will not display everything well; just a sneaking suspicion).
If you just want to take a quick look at it, click on the spoiler tag below :
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
I have combined my favourite elements from the GoMe, the GoMa, and the GoW to create this sort of hybrid, which should be easily adaptable to the other guilds. If anyone from the Guild of Maintainers could give me their opinion, I would be most thankful. All other opinions are welcomed too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:24 am 

Nice work, Lyrositor! :D
And good luck with the remaining steps of your project.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:26 am 
Obduction Backer

I personally feel a design like this would be a step backwards, if this was applied to the GoW site, but that's just my personal opinion. =P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:08 am 
Obduction Backer

In the case of the GoW, I find the design so beautiful, I don't feel it should be changed.
I was thinking about news, but I think that's more up to the Guild of Maintainers. I'll try, though.
EDIT: I have decided I won't work on presenting a news feed unless my design is accepted. I have posted a submission on their forum here: http://www.guildofmaintainers.org/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1889
EDIT 2: I am starting work on the GoC's website in the meantime.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:16 pm 
Obduction Backer

UPDATE: I have started work on the basic layout of the GoC's website. I have read the colors associated with it are supposedly turquoise, so I've picked a palette of blue (the navigation bar might be a bit too dark, but GIMP is misbehaving, I'll check later). Comments?
I have a screenshot inside the spoiler tag here:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Nalates, I need your opinion, since you are the head of the guild (from what I can tell).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:44 pm 

Lyrositor wrote:
I have just finished my first mock-up of the Guild of Maintainers layout.

Nice work! Currently i've been making a site from scratch (I mean everything) you can download it here: http://danielscartoons.weebly.com/uploa ... te_1.2.zip

Maybe I can put my techniques to use by making stuff for the guild sites.

James 1:19
"... Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:45 am 
Obduction Backer

UPDATE: building upon what work I achieved with the previous layout, I have cranked out the first version of my layout for the Guild of Cartographers. It is not perfect, and more work needs to be done to customize it to the Guilds' preferences. But, in my opinion at least, it is better than the current theme. Speaking of which, can the administrator manage DNS? Because if so, it's rather easy to get a free domain name (e.g. .co.cc, .cz.cc, .tx).
Finally, I'd like to state another thing about what I'm doing : these designs I'm producing are just suggestions. As such, I don't attempt to recreate the content. I'm only creating a layout, a template.
Anyway :
Example: http://lyros.co.cc/uru/GoC-1.0.zip
Screenshot:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:35 am 
Obduction Backer

Whilyam wrote:
It would be nice to get the guild sites (at least the main Cyan Guilds) to use the same template. Not only would it provide a uniform experience for the visitor, it would also demonstrate how the Guilds can work with one another. Although I'm sure the GoW would be less than thrilled to have to change designs so soon after they got Tweek's awesome design (perhaps Tweek designs all fan websites from now on? :P)

Well after I had finished the GoW site I toyed around with some ideas for the other sites, just out of curiosity, which you can see here;

really roughly put together but shares enough traits to be a group yet still retain some individuality.

As to the comments about the GoW forums and Wiki not matching, there are plans for those, I did some designs for those too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:55 am 
Obduction Backer

How can I hope to compete with that? They're beautiful! I hope every Guild chooses that layout.
Except I'm not sure it'll work for news-oriented guilds...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:21 pm 

Lyrositor wrote:
How can I hope to compete with that?

Don't cut yourself down, I really enjoyed your layouts!

James 1:19
"... Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:40 pm 
Obduction Backer

So do I, but they have been superseded. :roll:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next