It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:15 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:27 pm 
Obduction Backer

Then maybe after Cyan opens up the server source and it gets patched. I'd still like to see it there some day... imagine a teaser with the entire Cavern on it on that page :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:47 pm 

I heard Teledahn was never finished, their was suppose to be a whole section that was never added for some reason. I can only assume they have it stashed away in some dark dusty corner of Cyan HQ with other age files and concept art. What I would like to see is Uru as Cyan originally meant it to be. Any body who has walked around and looked can see their is still allot of places in D'ni and the rest of the ages that seem to be missing something, or seem to have been left incomplete or inaccessible. I often wondered if Cyan will ever have time to give us a little more then a glimpse of what may have been. and allow us to explore those places that never made it to publication

Energy = Milk Coffee 2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:05 pm 
Obduction Backer

The Cyan that makes small iOS games, no. A Cyan with vast resources that could pour money into the game again, maybe. If they don't screw it up and put all their efforts into one game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:44 pm 
Obduction Backer

dragossh wrote:
The Cyan that makes small iOS games, no. A Cyan with vast resources that could pour money into the game again, maybe. If they don't screw it up and put all their efforts into one game.

I personally would like to see Cyan partner with some company to make a big game again. We all thought the Creative Kingdoms partnership was big, (Which it would have been had CK kept up their end of the deal.) but turned out to be as bad as the Ubisoft one. (At least Ubisoft gave us two non-Cyan Myst games through their publishing) I wanna see Cyan and Valve team up, or Cyan an EA, or maybe even Cyan and Telltale. (Telltale's a long shot if you ask me; way different approaches to the adventure genre) And no more Fanista please!

TOC#60089 DI#132103 MOULa is Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:05 pm 

Trekluver wrote:
[...]I wanna see Cyan and Valve team up, or Cyan an EA, [...]

I think these two would be worst case scenarios. Valve would mean Steam and I know many who object against that. EA is, well, EA. They haven't been too nice to gamers and fans the last few years.
I'm afraid the way it is now is the best way everybody can hope for. It might not be the best solution, but it is working ATM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:11 pm 
Obduction Backer

Trekluver wrote:
We all thought the Creative Kingdoms partnership was big, (Which it would have been had CK kept up their end of the deal.) but turned out to be as bad as the Ubisoft one.

Have I missed something? I don't follow every thread in the forums, so I likely have missed it. How did it turn bad?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:31 am 
Obduction Backer

I still maintain Telltale and Cyan would be a lucrative partnership

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:01 am 
Obduction Backer

Wafna wrote:
Trekluver wrote:
We all thought the Creative Kingdoms partnership was big, (Which it would have been had CK kept up their end of the deal.) but turned out to be as bad as the Ubisoft one.

Have I missed something? I don't follow every thread in the forums, so I likely have missed it. How did it turn bad?

Well I think it's universally known that Ubisoft is the reason URU: Live failed. And the CK partnership never failed per-say, but CK never commissioned Cyan to finish the other episodes. Other than Cyan's in-house projects, their only partnership where they didn't get the short end of the stick was the Crowthistle partnership. (And the Myst III partnership was not bad either; and come to think of it, neither was the Disney/Hyperion one.)

TOC#60089 DI#132103 MOULa is Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:11 am 
Obduction Backer

Location: Hanging around with mermaids. And still looking for the elusive Funky Bahro.
With the Myst and Riven apps, Cyan seems to have some kind of partnership with Apple. If there was a better way to port Uru to Mac (as I've said before, Wine and Cider tend to be hard on the Mac), I'd like to see something come out of that.

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Magical Mystery TOOO 643784
Institution TOOO 816645
Karaoke TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

Murinna (the mermaid) 2484723
Mallina (the other mermaid) 3015052

Second Life: TOOO Fall

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:39 am 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
Other than Cyan's in-house projects, their only partnership where they didn't get the short end of the stick was the Crowthistle partnership.

Actually I bet they *did*. I have no inside knowledge, but I strongly suspect that Cyan did the Crowthistle work for free or for very little money. (That was a point where the Cyan web site talked about creating Plasma worlds for corporate partners, so it would have made sense for them to do some promotional business.) Book publishers aren't known for having huge technical development budgets, and book authors certainly don't either.

(I realize I could be wrong about this -- I'm guessing based on the business realities of the time. Although I did run into Cecilia Dart-Thornton at a SF convention in 2005, where she was showing off Crowthistle on her laptop. She didn't talk about money, but I got the impression that she'd set up the deal with Cyan herself rather than through her publisher. Anyhow, if I'm *not* wrong, then Cyan offered a cut-rate deal in hopes of drumming up more business, which obviously hasn't materialized.)

Quote:
With the Myst and Riven apps, Cyan seems to have some kind of partnership with Apple.

Only inasmuch as Apple has promoted Myst and Riven in the "new and notable" pages on their app store.

I agree that Telltale would be a great partner, but Telltale are rather hot stuff right now -- after Back to the Future and Jurassic Park deals, they must spoiled for choice. One can only hope that there are Myst fans there who'd want to approach Cyan about such a deal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:37 pm 
Obduction Backer

Trekluver wrote:
We all thought the Creative Kingdoms partnership was big, (Which it would have been had CK kept up their end of the deal.) but turned out to be as bad as the Ubisoft one. (At least Ubisoft gave us two non-Cyan Myst games through their publishing)

I don't see how it was as bad as Ubisoft. Ubisoft screwed Cyan big time, while CK gave Cyan a bit of money and a new project to keep them afloat back when they really had no other non-Myst projects. And if I'm not mistaken, Cyan still gets some money from CK since they maintain the servers.

cpt-jericho wrote:
Trekluver wrote:
[...]I wanna see Cyan and Valve team up, or Cyan an EA, [...]

I think these two would be worst case scenarios. Valve would mean Steam and I know many who object against that.

Actually the demand for Cyan games on Steam has been high, and since then they've put up most of their games there. Valve is one of the best companies you could team up with (see the Portal 2 ARG for example).

TOOO wrote:
With the Myst and Riven apps, Cyan seems to have some kind of partnership with Apple.

Not really. They are just a developer paying $99/yr to publish stuff on the App Store. And since Myst and Riven are big names, they were featured in the App Store a few times.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7