It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:00 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:01 am 

If Uru was coded in a special way (I'll descripe it in a spoiler, if you really want to know), it would defintley be possible to run two different versions (The regular, unmodified one; A fan created one; etc.) without having to install an entire game again.

[spoiler]
First, Cyan would've had to make something that reads code that is already written in a file and make the game read that code.

Second, the code it reads it would tell the game to show this model here, that model here, etc.
------

What makes this hard is you would have to create code to "read" the code given to it. It'd be almost like coding the framework to read and understand the code.
-------

Here's an example (and as programmers know, this wouldn't work, and if it would work, wouldn't be efficiant) in C#:

Game.ConstructGame(Game.PlaceModel("CavernModel", new Vector3(0,10,1))) //I'm making up these classes and parameters...

and, you would of course define the functions

Public void ConstructGame(I can't really put in a parameter here because the example above isn't how you give parameters)
{
//code
}

private void PlaceModel(string model, Vector3 position) //vector3 being a custom class..
{
//code...
}
-----
Sorry if that's too technical, I tried to simplify it as much as I could (which explains the error I would get.. :) ). I've actually made something that does this. It reads/writes XML and would code itself into a game. It's a pretty good thing. Maybe Cyan will read this and understand my rushed post :P
[/spoiler]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5