It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:49 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:06 pm 
Obduction Backer

FloCat wrote:
1. If we get a laptop with integrated video memory, can we purchase a separate dedicated video card separately?
2. Same question with wireless network card. If we get a wireless b/g card, can we upgrade to n later?

No longer a question you need answered, but for anyone else following this, the answers are

1) no
2) yes

for bascially all laptops, regardless of price or manufacturer.

Quote:
FloCat wrote:
Using the information that you guys provided, my husband chose the HP G60-445DX. Here's the specs:
Processor 2.2 GHz AMD Turion X2 Dual-Core RM-75
Memory 3GB, DDR2 800 MHz
Hard drive 320GB 5,400rpm
Chipset MCP78S
Graphics Nvidia GeForce 8200M G
Operating System Windows Vista Home Premium SP1
Dimensions (WD) 14.9x9.9 inches
Height 1.7 inches
Screen size (diagonal) 16 inches
System weight / Weight with AC adapter 6.34 / 7.18 pounds

The drive speed is exactly the same as my external drive, so I put URU-POTS on the external and gave it a whirl last night. Worked without a hitch, got through the cleft section with no problems, the graphics are beautiful. It looks better than MOUL did on my old desk top ... I even have a shadow in the desert :-) So, thanks everyone for your input, I know it helped my husband a lot with collecting information.

I hope it works well when we all start hanging out together again. I wandered around the neighborhood for a while, kicked eddy the beach ball around a bit. Saw that the Heek table was smashed up, and sadness ensued.

FloCat

You will be very happy with this for a long time, good choice!

VidRoth -- KI#50637

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:11 pm 
Obduction Backer

Wafna wrote:
Through most of MOUL I ran a desktop with integrated Nvidia graphics. It usually ran fine, but when I approached a crowd, such as at the top of the Great Stairs, the lag would be incredible until I turned away from the crowd and headed the other way, and the crowd at the release of Ahnonay caused me to freeze in place.

Before the last episode I installed a dedicated Nvidia graphics card. After that, I was able to attend the Under the Roots / Cavern Choir event, join the crowd at the Ferry Terminal watching the Bahro swarming the Great Arch, and wander the city on the last night with little to no lag at all.

I would spend the extra money and get one with a dedicated card, since with a laptop you can't replace the card like you can with a desktop. The hard part is finding out what each laptop has and if it is integrated or dedicated. One site that I used when I was researching qualities of graphics cards is notebookcheck.com. Do a lot of research before you buy.

Out of curiosity, when you upgraded your graphics, you didn't also upgrade your RAM did you?

The cheap integrated chipset can be a bottleneck (shadows, especially, gave the cheaper cards problems) but the biggest contributor by far to problems in a crowd was only having 1 GB of RAM.

But no one ever goes wrong with buying a shiny new video card, I'm with ya!

VidRoth -- KI#50637

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:32 pm 

I just had to respond to my own post regarding the lap top. We got one that met "most" of the specs, running Vista and I visited the cavern and city with hardly a hitch, last night. I did get kicked off, with a message that Windows Firewall prevented something from that source, so I clicked allow, for future reference.

I put the files on an external hard drive also to keep the hard drive free off too much stuff.

Very exciting to be back in the cavern. My connection is very good and so my avie doesn't look like some really cheap cartoon jumping and flashing around the place. And there were hardly any delays at all when I pressed buttons or linked, so maybe this time I can get into some of that "Eder" action and get me some "Eder" rings on my Relto ... which apparently have no real purpose ... or did someone find a reason for them?

FloCat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:09 am 
Obduction Backer

They're just tree rings in this incarnation. We never did find out if Cyan had plans for any more than that.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2