It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:58 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:45 pm 
Obduction Backer

It is good to know that nVidia still has the same free PC license that was given when Ageia still owned PhysX. That decision was made btw because Ageia wanted to cash in on the game console market. The PS3, Xbox and Wii licenses are still not free.

I'm sure that if there were SDKs for Mac or Linux they would be free as well since these are not game consoles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:48 pm 
Obduction Backer

The trouble with that kind of "free" is if, say, the open source uru is GPL, well... that isn't going to cut it, and technically it would probably still need to be ripped out for an "open source" uru release in any case.

As for ODE changing since '05, I'd go as far as to say its almost certain that the ODE of modern times is much improved since '05...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:17 pm 
Obduction Backer

And if the Open Source Uru license is BSD it would be possible. But that is all speculation at this point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:20 pm 

too bad URU wasn't made on Unity :) http://unity3d.com/unity/features/physics
http://unity3d.com/support/documentatio ... ysics.html

Unity uses PhysX, but it builds for both PC and Mac...I don't really know anything about PhysX though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:40 pm 

Yeah, I think it's a really bad idea to try to use the closed-source, but licensed-for-some-uses PhysX. Then, not even the engine would truly be open-source. And it's bad enough that the content won't be open-sourced, really. We're going to have physics problems no matter what, because of merging stuff from the other games (e.g. fan Ages). So we might as well bite the bullet and get ODE working semi-decently so that things are under control.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:41 pm 
Obduction Backer

JWPlatt wrote:
By the way, Colin's response to a question about a Linux port:
Colin Bonstead wrote:
… In general, it's just not cost effective to make a Linux port. …

The point I'm trying to make is that once the source is open, it is freed from the constraints of cost-effectiveness, and other factors start to decide what happens with it and what doesn't.

ddb174 wrote:
bite the bullet and get ODE working

Pun intended?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:41 pm 

Bullet physics may also be an option: http://www.bulletphysics.org/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:47 pm 

Bullet is open source, but my experience with it in Blender hasn't been to great...maybe they've worked the problems out by now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:00 pm 

Teedyo wrote:
Bullet physics may also be an option: http://www.bulletphysics.org/

I had considered Bullet as a possibility, but the thought of Plasma having used 4 physics engines in a single major version was a scary idea. :P

Regarding ODE, I believe versions over the past 4 years have improved many of the areas where Colin found problems. In particular, I recall reading that ODE has support for Convex Hull colliders now (which are needed for proper region detection).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:47 pm 

PhysX doesn't sound like too great of an idea...although the engine is tried and true, the licensing seems kinda weird. Bullet or ODE, both of which are fully open-source, would be the way to go I think. Since the game is going to be open source, the physics engine should be too.

Post subject: Linux Client
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:32 pm 

I was able to get the MOULagain client running decently under Wine. There are some obvious graphics issues, and I haven't been able to test much since it was only a proof of concept test and is running on my Eee 1005HA. But...it works! :)

As far as the server goes I'm sure a linux version has already been made or is in the works considering the majority of servers in the world run linux. (Not as obscure as you all think...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:12 pm 

I've gotten it to work perfectly under a slightly modified version on the Gametap cider port. Although it works, I think it would be good if someone made one that was as polished as the cider port but non-gametap based.

The cider port is not something that everyone will want to deal with, as you'll need a PC or VM of some sort to install uru in the first place. A pre-made, non-homebrew version would be great for people who don't want to deal with that.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2