It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:00 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:07 am 

First of all, the biggest issue is keeping things up-to-date. Now, I'm afraid I'm not sure how it was implemented during UU, but I believe that the most logical method would be to use a server list-like setup that you see on most multiplayer games (Doom3, Team Fortress 2, and the like.), where the servers are checked against a canon setup stored a Cyan-maintained server.

By having the individual "shards" checked against a central server, this allows users casually searching for servers to connect with other people, while still allowing Cyan to maintain a fair amount of control.

Now, as is with most open-source software, OSMO will have some variants that deviate quite a ways from the standard. For this, I suggest allowing people to create "Mod packs", additional bits of code that can be installed alongside the main Uru, and are used for additional programs to be run inside Uru.

Example: someone creates a mod pack that allows Uru to be run as the base for an MMORPG-like configuration. The additional libraries for combat, leveling, and AI could be stored within a mod pack.

Now, the next problem is to address the issue of how the user would physically connect. I personally believe, since the servers would be checked against a Cyan server, that the users could also be created to be universal. In this sense, when a player first starts Uru, they're in the basic game, which can run independently from the other modifications.

Now, to connect to other servers, a player could go to the Nexus, and use this object, already present in the game, as a method to list all available servers (possibly under a Shards tab?) to the user. Once a server is selected and Linked to, the Nexus still remains in the Player's Relto, as a method to connect to other servers.

As for actual work on new concepts and content, maybe Cyan could recycle their current development neighborhood as a mode users can set their own Uru to, which then loads up the selected content from a file list.

Anyway, if any of you all out there have any suggestions, ideas, or even criticisms, you're more than welcome to post them.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:58 pm 

D'raekmus wrote:
Example: someone creates a mod pack that allows Uru to be run as the base for an MMORPG-like configuration. The additional libraries for combat, leveling, and AI could be stored within a mod pack.

Mod pack idea = good. I just hope we never, ever, ever have this particular example in Uru.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:16 pm 

Ken Telinome wrote:
D'raekmus wrote:

Mod pack idea = good. I just hope we never, ever, ever have this particular example in Uru.

Hm... You do have a point. I mean, I know most games have something of an in-game economy, and, since most MMO players are used to that kind of element, I think that is where some might try to take it.

But, looking at it, Uru is a fairly powerful little game, graphically. I've tried comparing it to snapshots of the Source engine by Valve, and I say that Uru's graphics >>>> Anything Source has made so far.

The python language, I've heard, is able to be compiled or scripted, allowing flexibility in both directions. Naturally, there's going to be someone out there go "Hey... We could turn Uru Live into a better game than WoW with a little work.".

But, I'm on a fence myself. On the one hand, I'd love to see people improve upon Uru. But, The game itself is about puzzles and problem-solving, not about fighting monsters.

Although... With the unrest among Bahro at the end of MO:UL, there's no telling what might happen. Someone might be able to make it to where the "Bad" faction of Bahro are bringing around all kinds of beasts from other Ages, while the "good" creatures are helping by giving explorers abilities, much like how Yeesha gained her own abilities.

Huh... Now I sound like I want to deviate from the whole puzzle take. Not really. I mean, The focus should still be on exploring worlds, that's the whole purpose of the Myst games.

Anyway, I'd love to see someone just attempt such an experiment.

But, I'm getting off track. Mod packs involving new Ages and physics would be simple enough, since, as I've heard, the Physics part is handled on the client end (That's if I'm reading the documentation of the PlasmaClient correctly), and the Ages are fairly low-level work, needing no addition to existing code.

However, if OSMO is as open as allowing users to modify the engine, as is the nature of true Open Source, then the possibilities are substantially increased, allowing people to mesh in other applications (Quake3 maps, and someone might develop a unique mapping program exclusively for MOUL) and additional programs (Think expanding the functionality of the KI, but on a much, much larger scale.)

Personally, what I'd love to see first is a KI-handled inventory system. You know, you can drop fire marbles to light the way, pick up logs in your Relto and move them around, or even fix that danged problem in garden ages involving the wood walkways. The ability to pick stuff up would make it so much less frustrating.

Once that's implemented, maybe people could begin to work on items having a function, like being able to stack logs and light them on fire for a campfire, move cones to block places off (administrator function?), or reposition lights to shine in new areas.

Anyway, those are just some low-level ideas I have that could be implemented at some point.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]