It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:35 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:21 pm 
Obduction Backer

After meeting up with some of my old friends in the city last night, we only half-jokingly considered trying to put together a game of Sardines. It occurred to me that many of the new explorers flooding the cavern these days likely have never even heard of, much less know how to play, this and other games. So, following the example of my Common Problems and How To Solve Them thread, I decided to start this topic containing various games and activities that you and your fellow explorers can enjoy while spending time in the cavern. Enjoy!

In case this thread is ever stickied, I'm taking the precaution of putting the rules in the second post. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:22 pm 
Obduction Backer

And here are the games. If anyone has any other suggestions, or has come up with a game, include a full write-up including ages it can be played in, number of players, and a description of the rules and I'll add it in!

[spoiler=Ahyoheek]
Players: 2-5

In each Bevin-style Neighborhood, you will find an Ahyoheek table at the bottom of the stairs. This is a game playable by 2-5 players and is very similar to Rock, Paper, Scissors. To begin, the players sit at the station of their choice. The buttons on the table are labeled with a Pen, a Beetle, and a Page. In each round, all the players choose one of the symbols. Once everyone has chosen, the round is over and points are totaled.

Pen beats Page
Page beats Beetle
Beetle beats Pen

To figure out your score, you add one point for each symbol played that you beat, and subtract one point for each symbol played that beats you. Same symbols have no effect. Note that you can have a negative score. The person with the highest score wins the round, and they get a marker indicating which symbol they won with. The first person to gain three of the same markers wins. In the event of a tie, the person with the highest total number of markers wins. A continued tie causes the remaining players to participate in sudden-death matches until one of them is victorious.

Thanks goes to DPWR's Games: Ahyoheek article for refreshing my memory on tiebreaking.
[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Sardines]
Players: 2+

Sardines is a game dating back at least to UU and possibly back into Prologue. It is a variation of the popular game Hide-and-Seek. It begins with one person designated as the "Hider". This person will find a hiding spot in whichever age has been chosen to play in and will not move once there. They will then notify the other players to begin the game. You can sit or stand to improve your hiding, but you cannot change spots once the game has begun. The remaining players are designated "Seekers". These players will remain stationary while the Hider is getting into position, and then will seek out the Hider. Each Seeker is an independent player, meaning they work alone, though teams may be formed if decided before-hand.

Upon finding the Hider, the Seeker will not notify others of their location, but rather will stand on top of them (ideally getting the player models to occupy the same space). This continues until all Seekers but one have found the hiding place. When the last Seeker has found the hiding place, the game is over, and the last Seeker becomes the Hider for the next round. Use of the "/autoshout" command is recommended if playing in an age where 10+ people are present, so everybody can read the chat. Places that can only be reached through glitches in the physics system (such as above the rope bridge in Ae'gura) are illegal hiding places and cannot be used.

The name "Sardines" comes from the comparison of a bunch of avatars standing in the same exact location, in the same orientation, to a tin of Sardines.
[/spoiler]
[spoiler=The Wall]
Players: 2-4

This game involves the Great Wall in the second tower in Gahreesen. This game is not currently playable, but is included here for completeness. If The Wall ever becomes available, this post will be updated to include its rules.
[/spoiler]
[spoiler=The Pellet Challenge]
Players: 1 (plus neighborhood helpers)

The Pellet Challenge involves accumulating as many pellet points as possible in one hour on a single avatar. Generally done with the participation of other neighborhood members so as to allow the player to visit multiple Er'cana's, and accumulate the points from each. Points are then compared against members in competing neighborhoods.
[/spoiler]

Last edited by Drakmyth on Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:56 pm 

Drakmyth wrote:
And here are the games. If anyone has any other suggestions, or has come up with a game, include a full write-up including ages it can be played in, number of players, and a description of the rules and I'll add it in!

[spoiler=The Wall]

This game involves the Great Wall in the second tower in Gahreesen. This game is not currently playable, but is included here for completeness. If The Wall ever becomes available, this post will be updated to include its rules.
[/spoiler]

For those that are curious, I have a tutorial from the old days when it worked. It seems like it functioned in Until URU.

Gahreesen Maze Game

It appears that the buttons have changed so it was being reworked for MOUL. It was fun to play it, but it was about the most buggy thing there was. Crashes were the norm, not the exception. I would love to see it come back. You could keep your maintainer suit!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:09 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
[spoiler=The Pellet Challenge]The Pellet Challenge was issued by Marck and the German Community after they teamed up to allow one explorer to collect 73,044 points within one hour. They used 15 Er’cana instances and dropped a total of 75 pellets. Part of the challenge is for a team to work out a procedure which allows an explorer to collect and drop pellets at this or a better rate.
The Revelations Hood took the challenge and, on the third attempt, were able to hit 16 Er’canas and drop 79 pellets to collect 77,750 points. The R.E.B.E.L. Hood took the challenge twice and on the second attempt managed to visit 17 Er'canas to drop 85 pellets and collect a total of 82,603 points. But, before the cavern closed, the German Community regained their title by dropping 93 pellets in 19 Er'canas and collecting 85,406 points in one hour!

The Pellet Challenge

see How It Works here.[/spoiler]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:25 pm 

Gahreesen Wall looks beautiful in those pictures. Can't wait to see it come back sometime in the future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:13 pm 

sardines was a ton of fun!!!! even more so when you had the userki (only available in the UU days).

Image ki #101936

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:27 am 
Obduction Backer

Don't forget markers and the almost endless diversity of games you can come up with using them!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:35 am 

Me and one of my friends play just normal hide-and-go-seek. You can do it with just two people!

A Bevin is a good place to start, but you can run out of good places after a few rounds. I haven't tried it in many other places, but the city could be fun, as long as you have more than one person.

If you're desperate for something to kill time, you could play it in Minkata with beige clothes on... Though that sounds more like torture than fun. :lol:

I'll bet Garasheen would be good, especially with some restrictions in place. Kadish would probably be nice as well, and parts of Ercana, maybe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:39 am 
Obduction Backer

Yeah, Sardines is just an extension of Hide and Seek to include multiple people. When playing with 2, there is no difference between the two (which is why I didn't include H&S in the list). Marker missions and Jalak provide tons of game opportunities, but I would like to post here specific rule sets, preferably for games involving more than one person. The Pellet Challenge is a little closer to the single player games I would like to avoid, but as it requires other helpers to function properly, I'll include it anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:39 am 
Obduction Backer

There's always "Getting Up In Every Last Tree In Eder Kemo"... I don't think I've managed that in MOUL/MOULa. Did it in UU though.

Climbable trees, I mean! Didn't have much luck with the bamboo or willow!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:02 am 
Obduction Backer

Drakmyth wrote:
The Pellet Challenge is a little closer to the single player games I would like to avoid, but as it requires other helpers to function properly, I'll include it anyway.

It clearly shows that you never did a Pellet Challenge run. ;) If you did, you'd never say that it "is a little closer to the single player games". For me, the Pellet Challenge is the ultimate group experience in MOUL because it requires coordination and dedication of team members to an extent that is at least as intensive as for a Tsogal or Delin gate opening.

However, I still have to find out if a Pellet Challenge run is technically possible at all with MOULagain's current condition. All the lag and crashes to desktop will make such a run a real challenge, I guess. Anyways, before attempting a run, I personally would like to let people settle a little bit more in MOUL. Seasoned explorers need to finish Er'cana, and maybe also setup some alternative accounts. New explorers probably need some time to play with pellets and their various recipes, get accustomed to sharing linking books and using invites to their Ages. But I do want to attempt a run eventually. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:04 pm 

mtn'man wrote:
Drakmyth wrote:

[spoiler=The Wall]

[/spoiler]

For those that are curious, I have a tutorial from the old days when it worked. It seems like it functioned in Until URU.

Gahreesen Maze Game

It appears that the buttons have changed so it was being reworked for MOUL. It was fun to play it, but it was about the most buggy thing there was. Crashes were the norm, not the exception. I would love to see it come back. You could keep your maintainer suit!

I've always been a bit puzzled by this game. I dare say this is drifting off topic slightly... ;-) , but reading the rules for the maze game, i don't see what is to stop a player lining up blocks straight across the playing area to form a complete barrier, or indeed, just surrounding the illuminated bar at the top of the grid with blocks... :twisted:

Were there rules about the number of contiguous blocks allowed? or did the control panel refuse to create an unwinnable pattern of blocks?

MOUL:
CyclinGuy KI# 8385203
Skydiver CyclinGuy KI# 10298312

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:53 pm 
Obduction Backer

Marck wrote:
Drakmyth wrote:
The Pellet Challenge is a little closer to the single player games I would like to avoid, but as it requires other helpers to function properly, I'll include it anyway.

It clearly shows that you never did a Pellet Challenge run. ;) If you did, you'd never say that it "is a little closer to the single player games". For me, the Pellet Challenge is the ultimate group experience in MOUL because it requires coordination and dedication of team members to an extent that is at least as intensive as for a Tsogal or Delin gate opening.

You are right, I haven't done the Pellet Challenge myself. What I meant was it isn't something that you can just get a small group of players together and do whenever people feel like it. My single-player comment was directed at the fact that only a single person runs through and collects the pellets, as opposed to multiple players.

CyclinGuy wrote:
I've always been a bit puzzled by this game. I dare say this is drifting off topic slightly... ;-) , but reading the rules for the maze game, i don't see what is to stop a player lining up blocks straight across the playing area to form a complete barrier, or indeed, just surrounding the illuminated bar at the top of the grid with blocks... :twisted:

Were there rules about the number of contiguous blocks allowed? or did the control panel refuse to create an unwinnable pattern of blocks?

It was entirely possible to block the path to the top. The teams generally operated on the honor system that neither side would do that, as it is quite obviously unfair.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:58 pm 

How about climbing? Linking in somewhere, finding someone standing in a place they really shouldn't be able to get to, and then try and figure out how to get up there yourself. Or ask the person how they got there and take the time to wrestle with your movement controls to follow their path.

The DRC tent in Tokotah courtyard is really hard now that there's an extra invisible wall by the alley rope. I've seen people climbing the mountain in Phil's Relto, too, though I haven't had any success duplicating their process on my Relto.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:33 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Sigh. You shrug at the Pellet Challenge because you don't understand it, but go on and on about the Gahreesen Wall games that are inaccessible at this time (at least to my knowledge).

Anyhoo... don't forget about the games in Jalak and soccer in Minkata.