It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:11 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:49 pm 
Obduction Backer

Shorah, Fellow Explorers!

Two years ago the Cavern re-re-opened (again) on February 8th, 2010. A few days after the opening I felt a strong nudge (from somewhere...) to ask if anyone would be interested in a memorial and welcome-home ceremony for new and returning explorers. It seemed only right that we link to the time when we were all together and bring those we had lost home with us to create a continuous thread of remembrance in action. It also seemed fitting to integrate new explorers into the re-re-opened Cavern.

What began as a small, casual, unassuming one-hour gathering became a three session, day-long event. The turn-out in the community was amazing, and fortunately I had lots of help and support in giving my welcome home speech three times. The personal tributes were also amazing. Read about it here: 2010 Re-Re-Opening of the Cavern

The next year Explorers were better prepared. The Guild of Healers sponsored an Anniversary Celebration, which was one of several during several days. This time we had music! and dancing ! (go figure, lol), and some more dedications. Because the city population was so restricted, we couldn't hold a large-group memorial there, but smaller groups did meet in their hood instances during those days. 2011 Cavern Re-Opening Party

This year's Anniversary Celebration is even larger and better organized. Nev'yn has taken up the task of coordinating the events, and Tai'lahr and others are in support of that organizing operation. The Guild of Healers has been asked to open and to close the week-long celebration. I am honored to help play this role, and hope we do it justice. The GoH program is only one of many this time, which to me is very exciting. The more the merrier, I like to say. ;) The official thread: 2012 Cavern Re-Opening Anniversary Celebrations

The Theme of the Opening Ceremony is A Fall through the Chasm
This will involve the loss, the waiting, the hope of a renewed cavern. It will include dedications, tributes, and a silent vigil to commemorate the loss of our home, family, and friends. In essence, we fell through the chasm, grieved, then hoped to come through the other side to a renewed place.

The Theme of the Closing Ceremony is Welcome Home!
As in previous years, we welcome those we have recently lost and those new explorers who have joined us since February of 2011. This will be a joyful ceremony as we celebrate the continuance of our home for another year and the fun of creating new memories to share next February. Following the fun-filled events of the week as it does, you can expect several rounds of /shout and /cheer.

Exact details are in the next post. As things solidify and change, I'll update that one.

A story: De Landria

Ghaelen: Moula.2 KI #64299

Last edited by ghaelen on Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:09 pm 
Obduction Backer

You are invited to the Opening Ceremony of a week-long 2nd Anniversary Cavern Re-(re-)Opening Celebration.

The Opening Ceremony will be Broadcast on RadioKGOH: http://healersradio.hopto.org
(Thanks to Ashtar for hosting our station!)

Date: February 4th, 2012
Time: KItime 10:00(am) (9:00 Pacific, 12:00 noon Eastern, 17:00UTC/GMT, 19:00 in Athens,
8:00(am) Feb. 5, 2012 in Sydney)
Place: Throughout the Cavern and the D'niVerse.

Updated January 30, 2012
Agenda & Locations
10:00 Pre-Ceremony Broadcast on Radio KGOH begins. Mostly music, some announcements, preparations for the Ceremony,
11:00 KI-time: Watcher's Pub - Memories of the Cavern Closing on February 4, 2008
11:30/12:00 KI-time (Time may vary): Watchers Pub - Waiting/Hoping for the Cavern to Re-Open (Donations Encouraged)
Tributes to those Explorers who have left us
12:50 KI-time: Watcher's Pub/Kahlo Pub Memorial (**see below**): Memorial Vigil begins. Mostly music, broadcast information for new listeners.

**The last time we tried to go to the Kahlo memorial as a group, we reached city capacity in minutes. So the "group" as a whole will remain in the Watcher's Pub, but smaller groups and individuals are encouraged to visit the explorer memorial. Each Hood also links to the City instance of that Hood, so your neighborhood could also visit the memorial in that way. The on-air broadcast will continue and we'll be in the Watcher's Pub when you return.**

14:00 KI-time: Vigil continues, and Radio KTDN begins leader music (for those ready for a change.)
14:30 KI-time: Watcher's Pub - Healers' Broadcast begins to segue to Radio KTDN event.
AGM meeting ending...
End Update

Thank you to Nev'yn for your help with the KIvite

Music, dedications, a tribute, and a vigil will take us through the days during which we lost our beloved Cavern Home. We will also remember past and recent community members who have left us and pause for a silent vigil should some explorers wish to individually visit the memorial in the Kahlo Pub. Finally, we remember the hope that someday we could go home again. That hope includes the continuance of our home well into the "current" future years.

You are also invited to participate!.

Those of you who participated at the first Memorial & Welcome Home event in 2010 will have the idea I am proposing. Your thoughts and remembrances of loved ones helped us all know them better. I would like to do something similar for this opening ceremony.

Three areas of commemoration:
Waiting for the Cavern to close "that day": Where were you when the cavern closed? Was anyone with you? What was it like to wait, knowing you might not be back together again?
Commemorating an explorer who has left us (at any time) A list of names is at the end of this post
Hope of a new reopening: Patient? Impatient? Hopeful, or in disbelief? When you heard it might happen, what did you think?

Two ways to share your thoughts during the opening ceremony

1. Post them to this thread, pm me, or email me at ghaelen at geemail dot com.
I'll read them outloud during the ceremony (and others can read them, too!)

2. Record an mp3 (up to two minutes long) and I'll play it on the air. I know many of you are versed in this, and you might like to get creative. Just be sure we can hear you! PM or email me if you'd like to do this so I can get the file from you.

It is probably best to try to say your thoughts in a short paragraph. That way we won't run out of time for other people. Of course, if there are only a few, then there will be more space for individual tributes. Since the events of last two years grew quite a lot between idea and event, I am prepared for lots of posts and recordings this time.

Opening Ceremony Schedule (subject to modifications as to segment beginning/end)

10:00Kitime or so....Welcome message and a summary of the ceremony schedule. Dedication of the Anniversary Event.
10:30 KItime: Commemoration: The closing of the Cavern
11:00 or 11:30: KItime: Remembering our loved ones
12:15: Hope
12:50 or 13:00: Silent Vigil (music only)
14:30-15:00: transition to new D'niJ (Ktahdn)

Other ways to get involved!
1. Help people get their music players set up before or during the event (always needed, lol)
2. Help people record their thoughts (I didn't post instructions here because the post was already loooong....)
3. Help people "hear" the tributes in-cavern. There will be a few explorers who just can't get their music to work. Ideas for this?
4. Keep an eye out for tributes on other forums. (My RL obligations don't allow me to read more than a few forums in a day, and I don't want to miss anyone.)
5. Pictures, video, chat logs, etc. I do expect there will be different groups around the cavern -- share your experience!
6. Send me your music! Instrumental only is great behind a spoken tribute and if yours also includes a spoken or sung tribute that would be awesome!
7. I'm sure I forgot something...

Here is a list of the names on the memorial in the Kahlo Pub. Your tribute can also include an explorer not on the list.

Richard "ShadowCats" Bader ... Janet "Pehpsi" Burress ... CAGrayWolf ... James "Aquila" Carpenter
Virginia "Terra" Cinova ... Willow "Wheely" Engberg ... Cindy Farrar ... Gandhar ... Jahuti
JDrake ... Katzi ... Mo'zie ... Len "Flyboy" Mumbower ... Myst'Aken ... Perlenstern
Ramsine ... Jim "Dust'ei" Rhodes ... Rosette Taylor

Last edited by ghaelen on Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:41 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:09 am 

To: Ktahdn, musical alchemist
Re: Nota Bene

Ghaelen wrote:
14:30-15:00: transition to new D'niJ

(signed) Lord Chaos

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:11 am 

Is that a *hint*, *hint* LC? Lol!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:56 pm 

I'm not sure what's going on, Nev'yn. After last night's hair's-breadth escape from a broken Shoutcast server, our friend Ktahdn was so frazzled he went to bed and I haven't seen him since. He pretty well knocked himself out waltzing in Second Life. 8 women, 3 men. I hear they had a very nice time. Waltzing is so elegant... /me waltzes around...

Um... sorry... back to the original topic. Yes, I think we can take the handoff from Ghaelen and go from there. We'll be having an RVG not-meeting tomorrow (or not) and I'll know more then. Maybe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:08 pm 
Obduction Backer

Added a KIvite pic to the Opening Ceremony post.

That was a fabulous non-meeting, LC. I feel like I didn't exert myself at all!
Had we a blog I would type up the non-minutes in great detail.
(Ah, memories of the CCN days...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:27 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
ghaelen wrote:
Help people get their music players set up before or during the event. There will be a few explorers who just can't get their music to work. Ideas for this?
I started a thread: Getting Shoutcast to Work with basic instructions and several people have posted tips for dealing with various issues. Hopefully, people will use this to get set up before the event and post there if they have any problems which haven't been addressed, yet.

I would like to say something about how it felt to be in the cavern on the last day and hopes for the re-opening, but I need to give it a little more thought before posting anything. In the meantime...

Thinking about the Explorers' Memorial reminded me of a very special memory in the cavern: Ireenquench singing "Summertime" in tribute to Wheely. What touched me about it the most was that Ireen didn't think she was a good singer, but felt she needed to do this for Wheely and so she bravely went through with it. I just pulled up the chatlog to remember and found a gap of approximately three minutes when she sang and no one said anything or even emoted anything. Fortunately, tachzusamm captured it and made a lovely video and posted it: Ireen's Song for Wheely

Afterwards, Ireen said, "I was afraid it would come off as cheesy, too, but its just a little thing from the heart so I hope it suits the situation" and "I hesitated ... but I am more brave in the cavern than on the surface." Words of inspiration, IMO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:36 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thanks, Tai, that's a great thread to have. And I look forward to reading your tribute and the others.

I have updated the second post above to reflect specifics we've decided on for the Opening Ceremony. I will fill in with history and memories of my own; the more you give me to say for you, the less you'll have to listen to me.... ;)

Added to Second Post
The Opening Ceremony will be Broadcast on RadioKGOH: http://healersradio.hopto.org
(Thanks to Ashtar for hosting our station!)

Date: February 4th, 2012
Time: KItime 10:00(am) (9:00 Pacific, 12:00 noon Eastern, 17:00UTC/GMT, 19:00 in Athens,
8:00(am) Feb. 5, 2012 in Sydney)
Place: Throughout the Cavern and the D'niVerse.

Agenda & Locations
10:00 Pre-Ceremony Broadcast on Radio KGOH begins. Mostly music, some announcements, preparations for the Ceremony,
11:00 KI-time: Watcher's Pub - Memories of the Cavern Closing on February 4, 2008
11:30/12:00 KI-time (Time may vary): Watchers Pub - Waiting/Hoping for the Cavern to Re-Open (Donations Encouraged)
Tributes to those Explorers who have left us
12:50 KI-time: Watcher's Pub/Kahlo Pub Memorial (**see below**): Memorial Vigil begins. Mostly music, broadcast information for new listeners. (AGM begins)

**The last time we tried to go to the Kahlo memorial as a group, we reached city capacity in minutes. So the "group" as a whole will remain in the Watcher's Pub, but smaller groups and individuals are encouraged to visit the explorer memorial. Each Hood also links to the City instance of that Hood, so your neighborhood could also visit the memorial in that way. The on-air broadcast will continue and we'll be in the Watcher's Pub when you return.**

14:00 KI-time: Vigil continues, and Radio KTDN begins leader music (for those ready for a change.)
14:30 KI-time: Watcher's Pub - Healers' Broadcast begins to segue to Radio KTDN event.
AGM meeting ending...

Last edited by ghaelen on Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:03 pm 

Ghaelen wrote:

Because the All Guilds Meeting has a variable end time, I'm going to start some leader music at 1400. The main program will start at 1500, unless the AGM is running late. My intention isn't to overwrite any part of the event, but to provide an alternative for those Explorers who have visited the memorial and are done, and also to make sure we have coverage in case the AGM ends early. So, Explorers have their choice of what to hear.

I'm planning to host my event in the Watcher's Sanctuary. I was thinking of the Hall of Kings but the City will be a busy place. The Sanctuary also offers continuity with Ghaelen's events.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:47 pm 
Obduction Backer

I have gotten some wonderful explorer music that I'll play during the Opening. I also found my images and footage from the closing hours in 2008 -- wow, that took me back. It was nighttime for me, and a wonderful, terrible, bittersweet time. I'll share it with you during the 11:00 (am) hour on Saturday.

Keep the donations coming -- prevent explorer tears. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:47 pm 
Obduction Backer

The Opening Ceremony Pre-Opening music is on the air.

http://healersradio.hopto.org

If you find the server is full, Tai'lahr is providing an alternate link:
http://76.10.221.60:9874

Time to begin making our way to the Watcher's Pub for the official opening at the top of the hour.
I hope you can join us.
Ghaelen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:54 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thanks to all of you who participated in the Opening Ceremony today.

The Opening Ceremony is now concluding, but the party is picking up again at the Watcher's Pub.

Music at rel.to/ktdn

alternate stream at http://76.10.221.60:9874

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:02 pm 

I would like to extend my direct personal thanks to ghaelen, the Guild of Healers, and Rooftop Volunteer Group for all their support thus far for the week's event.

I'd also like to thank the many explorers who have attended the events and stayed involved in the community!

You are all the best!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:43 pm 
Obduction Backer

What an opening and prelude to our great 'MOULa 2nd Anniversary Celebrations'!!! ... :D

Thank you so much, dearest Ghaelen and the Guild of Healers, for organizing
this absolutely amazing and deeply touching ceremonial event with an awesome
choice of soothing music that touches your soul and heart-warming commemorative
words and reflections to the latest of our Uru/MOUL ending experiences ... :P

And many thanks to all else involved in all the preliminary arrangements and
preparations and schedulings etc. for this great week ...

The attendance of so many fellow explorers and friends was overwhelming ...
Thanks all for coming and for still being around and keeping in touch
and the caverns alive ... Yeah, we're the best fans in the world ... :D