It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:50 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:01 pm 
I can see myself! Man, that was a good evening...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:46 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Thanks for sharing the photo, Niysiechka. And, thanks to everyone who attended and made it so much fun. :D

I wrote some words for Ghaelen to use in the opening ceremony and I was thinking of posting them here, but she changed it a bit and made it sound better, so I hope she'll post her version.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:28 pm 
I think she did wonderfully with the narration of the final day of the Cavern, with the countdown.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:19 am 
Obduction Backer

Here is the general message I presented as the music played. There is a wee bit of artistic license, so be warned...
It is long, hence I put it in spoiler tags
[spoiler]When we learned in February 2008 that the doors of our home would be closed upon us, we felt as if our world was about to end. Was it true that destruction had indeed come upon us? We wondered this as we began our fall through the chasm.... Some thought this was the end of the story.... Others denied that anything was ending, rather, this was simply another transition in the progress of our community. But many knew it was the end of our home.... There were even those who spoke of the end of ages....

(song, End of Ages by Tim Larkin)
(song, The Well by Tim Larkin)
As the shock wore off during the two months from February to April of 2008, explorers did what they could to avert the closing of the Cavern. We signed petitions to keep the doors open, and protested loudly in hopes of the same result. We held parties, games, concerts, and other activities throughout the Cavern. On the surface we tried to convince others to join us to show the value in our home. To no avail. We finally had to accept reality. The DRC had depleted their financial resources, and no funding organization saw the potential in the Ages that both they and explorers knew was there. Sadly, we prepared for the last day.

As that fatal day of April 9th arrived, explorers met together for one last time. We gathered in our favorite ages. We gathered in our neighborhoods. We gathered in our Reltos or went there individually. We said goodbye to those whose names we knew on the memorial in the Kahlo Pub and gathered in the City places we had frequented so often together.

(song, The Library by Tim Larkin)

I linked to the ages I would miss the most: Eder Kemo, Delin, Teledahn, Phil's Relto, and the beautiful Kveer we had only known for a short time. I spent much of the day filling my KI with images and my KIrecorder with video for a memory book.

That night I met with many explorers in the Watcher's Pub, where we are now. I knew so many of them, and yet that night met so many more. The music played, we danced. For me, it was difficult, as dancing means joy. But we stood ourselves up, listened to the music of D'niJ's across the Ages, and we laughed, we joked, and we danced. And we swore we would remember.

The Bahro came to visit during those final hours. Twice, while I was there they came to the Watcher's Pub and looked at us with their solemn eyes. We wondered whether they knew that we, like them, would leave now, en masse. Did they remember their comrade whose body was brought to show us here in this very place? We wanted to know, if possible, what they had thought -- how they hd felt -- how they felt now. Had they really left voluntarily those many months before? Could they return if they wished? Could we communicate with them just this one time? [/spoiler]

Tai'lahr wrote:
I wrote some words for Ghaelen to use in the opening ceremony and I was thinking of posting them here, but she changed it a bit and made it sound better, so I hope she'll post her version.

It was a good paragraph to work with, too, Tai. Thanks for giving me permission to make it a common experience. I didn't change many words, only added a couple for vocal clarification. I did reorganize the countdown, as it seemed a way to bring listeners, especially new explorers, into the experience you were trying to convey.

[spoiler]
(song, The Fall of D'ni by Tim Larkin)
So many explorers had similar experiences like this one from Tailahr, who writes, "It seemed like everyone was in the cavern on the last night, including those who had already settled in other worlds. Even some of the people who had stopped coming after the announcement in February were there. The KI lists were too long to manage, the chat was flying by, and within it, multiple messages passed within our Buddies lists.

“15 minutes till server shutdown...”

Although we told ourselves and each other that “the ending has not been written” and Uru would return, in our hearts, we knew that, even if it did, it wouldn’t be the same and that some of our friends wouldn’t return… and so, we said our goodbyes.

“10 minutes till server shutdown...”

It was all too much to absorb at the time, so we let the chat logs roll to be read later and we danced with our friends as Customer Care counted down:

“5 minutes till server shutdown...”
“(there will be cake)”

“One minute till server shutdown...”

“Goodbye”

(song, Time by The Alan Parsons Project)

Untranslated: Network error 5, Network Connection Failed
protocol: Auth Server
[/spoiler]

A story: De Landria

Ghaelen: Moula.2 KI #64299

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:56 pm 
I managed to get the radio to work just as that section started... It was the best bit, but also the saddest..,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:22 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
Two years ago groups of explorers met in the Kahlo Pub to remember our friends who had left us and to bring them through their age of passing, in spirit, to our home once again. There are chatlogs of the event, which you can link to from the post on the Opening Ceremony thread in the event forum on MOUL. Let's remember our community members and keep in mind that whatever our troubles or strife, we live together, build together, argue together, worry together, and lose an explorer -- together.

Here are some of the words from that First Anniversary Celebration and a few additions for this second year of commemoration.

Quote:
The Guild of Healers would like to welcome you to this gathering to commemorate our friends and fellow explorers who have gone 'beyond the ages.'
Some names on the memorial in the city of Ag'uera will be familiar to you, some will not.
Some of you knew the person behind that name well
Some names you know from a journal, or from a brief meeting.
Some you know from a chat log, or from the stories of other explorers.
Some explorers have left us and are not named on the memorial.
All of of those explorers who have left us were special in their own way, and we are privileged to have known them, to have known of them, or to have shared this Cavern home with them.
They, too, were privileged to share their home with each other and with you.
They would be proud to know that we have kept the doors open for nearly two full years.
They would celebrate their lives with us, or rather, they would celebrate our lives with us.
During this hour today let's remember, celebrate, dance a little, be silent a little.
And during this week, as we remember the specialness of each of them, let's set aside our differences.
When faced with the age beyond, such differences mean very little.

These are the names on the Kahlo Pub. There is sadness within our joy this week as we see yet one more name added to that memorial.

Richard "ShadowCats" Bader ... Janet "Pehpsi" Burress ... CAGrayWolf ... James "Aquila" Carpenter, ... Virginia "Terra" Cinova ... Willow "Wheely" Engberg ... Cindy Farrar ... Gandhar ... Jahuti, ... JDrake ... Katzi ... Mo'zie ... Len "Flyboy" Mumbower ... Myst'Aken ... Perlenstern ... Ramsine ... Jim "Dust'ei" Rhodes ... Rosette Taylor ... edit Sil-Oh-Wet

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:32 am 
Obduction Backer

2nd Anniversary Closing Ceremony (Also posted on the General 2nd Anniversary Thread)

Saturday brings us to the end of our Anniversary Week, although that ending has also not yet been written...

We begin this "end" at 11:00 KI time in Kirel. There will be balloons, much dancing, shorah-ing, huzzah-ing, and lots of good things to eat.
Music on Radio KGOH: http://healersradio.hopto.org and I think Tai'lahr's Relay Channel will be going too: http://76.10.221.60:9874 Last Saturday we needed both :)

Near the end of the first hour, we'll take a breather and spend a few moments to say "Welcome Home" to all new explorers who have joined us in the last year, and also to those who have left the Cavern to rejoin us in spirit.

The music will slowly pick up again and we'll end by wearing out what dancing shoes we have left on our feet. There will be more new music from Turjan, and a special Anniversary release of some really fun old/new music from Christian Walther. Save at least a patch of leather on your shoes for that!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:34 pm 
Obduction Backer

Some Pre-Closing music is on the air at Radio KGOH.

The Ceremony begins in 27 minutes, at the top of the hour. See you in Kirel!

Radio KGOH: http://healersradio.hopto.org

Tai'lahr's Relay Channel: http://76.10.221.60:9874

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:14 pm 
Obduction Backer

Wow!!! What a beautiful picture, thank you Niysiechka ... :P

And many thanks to you, dearest Ghaelen for an absolutely supernatural,
magical closing (or half closing lol) ceremony of our great festival week ...

What a great way of ushering us all into an exciting and auspicious new time
and era ... The same applies of course to all else involved who so diligently and
with great efforts and dedication made this week so special and unforgettable ... :D

And what a wonderful gift to have a special encore event by our Marten tomorrow
as an extraordinary and fantastic conclusion and finale of this year's Anniversary ...

See you all there ... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:03 am 
Obduction Backer

Thanks for the lovely pic, Niysiechka! Beautiful, and beautiful words as well.

And thank you to all of you who have made th(ese) closing event(s) special and long(er) lasting! I'm glad you enjoyed the (Not-Really-Closing) Ceremonies today. We do have an incredible community.

Musica and friends are playing music right now and Marten's encore Gaming Music Concert is earlier in the day tomorrow. Check out the info here

And..... It looks like the Healers might help close the post-celebration events with a Wind Down with Soothing Sound program at 14:00 KI time. This is the Second Sunday Meditations we normally hold at the Retreat (out-of-cavern), and the broadcast is also on Radio KGOH.

For tomorrow, it will still be meditative (mostly) and guided (somewhat less than normal) for the post celebration activities. We don't have a specific place to meet in the Cavern, but I'll try to make sure the GoH Hood is open. I may even try to become quantum and be in two places at once. But that is iffy, since last time I tried that it didn't work so well... /grimace

At any rate, you are invited to listen to our broadcast at http://healersradio.hopto.org Sunday at 14:00 KI time.

If you frequent one of those (shhhhh) out-of-cavern places (shhhhh) you are welcome to join us in person at the Retreat. :)