All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:05 pm 

Battle of the D'niJ's

When: Saturday, July 29th
Where: Guild of Greeter's Tsogal
How to get there: You can arrive at GOG's Tsogal 2 different ways:
    1. Use Mir-o-bot, Magic Bot, or Mimi Bot and tell them "to GOG"
    2. Go to the Nexus and choose "Guild of Greeters"

Why: We will be celebrating the 10th Anniversary of Urutunes!

You as Listeners: This is a battle, and what fun is a battle without a winner?! This is also a fun contest! As a listener, we encourage you to vote for your favorite DJ's! You will be able to vote for more than one DJ. More info about voting will be posted the day of the battle on the forums, along with how to vote and the poll!

Please contact Snickuster, KI# 2996132, or Max, KI# 407208, with any questions or concerns.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DJ TIME FRAME

STREAM URL'S

*Times, URL's, and DJ's are subject to change

Last edited by Snickuster on Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:03 pm, edited 22 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:55 pm 

Well, now, I'll have to tell Ktahdn about this. He is, after all, the person who invented the term "D'niJ" sometime in 2005 or 2006. The forums on which it was first used are gone now.

I will also pass on the news to Donahoo, who was the first D'niJ to have a regular broadcast in the Cavern, with her D'ni Happy Hour. There were others broadcasting sporadically--Tehl Nava and Eirerogue come to mind--but Dona started the weekly Happy Hour in late 2004 or early 2005. The past lives on in memory only; the event started on the Tapestry Shard and was advertised through its forum, which is long gone.

We used voice chat in the early days. Teamspeak was a big improvement, after Ashtar set up a server for it in mid-2005. Then Shoutcast became popular and that changed everything. Listeners could actually hear the music's details!

A side note:
Radio KTDN recently celebrated its 12th anniversary of the first broadcast Kt ever made. It was to be a one-off event to introduce a new neighborhood, Andrew C's Uru Christian Fellowship. The neighborhood soon faded away--Andrew became too busy in RL to support it--but the musical event continues in Second Life. You never know where these paths will lead. Music Night led to contact with the Mieville group in Second Life, which led to Kt becoming the DJ at their weekly dance, which led to signing up to run music for Fantasy Faire, which led to other contacts and, ultimately, being too busy.

I wonder if Kt is still listed on UruTunes... As for genre? Well, one of Kt's statements has been "There are plenty of DJs playing by genre, so I don't have to." To him it's like making stew: a little of this, a little of that, always striving for a whole that transcends the ingredients.

On the Designing of Playlists: http://www.uru-amber-horizons.com/index.php/topic,848.0.html

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:05 pm 

Wow! Thank you for passing the word on, and for that little piece of history! I haven't been around very long, so it's always neat to learn how everything came about and how it's grown into what it is now.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:25 pm 
Obduction Backer

In an ideal world we would have one station to host this so that folks didn't have to retune between segments. It needs someone who can integrate Teamspeak with the music and perform as engineer. Then we could comment on each other's shows.... OK, maybe not such a good idea :D

Otherwise, have a slot in the program sheet for the url for the channel that each D'niJ will use. Gives everyone a fighting chance.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:03 pm 

That's a good idea, AlanD, and it has been done before. For the Day of Dancing in 2010, someone rented a Shoutcast server for the occasion and sent the log-in info to the D'niJs. It worked well. That event is recorded here someplace. I haven't done it because it's an administrative headache and I'm allergic to those.

An alternative would be for someone to relay the individual streams. The relayer connects to the current stream and passes it along so that listeners never have to change. I've done this, primarily for Ghaelen of the Guild of Healers.

Origins:
Tehl Nava and others were the first to experiment with connecting their music servers to Uru's in-game voice chat. Sound quality was terrible, but it added a lot to Cavern Events. This was in the six months or so after Until Uru was introduced in August of 2004.

I was a member of the Tapestry Shard forum but not in the Cavern until May of 2005. By that time, Donahoo had started her Happy Hour and I attended one of those a day or two after I first got into the Cavern. She taught me how to broadcast. I had just started moving my CD library to the computer, so the timing was good.

Using Teamspeak caused some controversy. It was new, and some thought it was too "out of character." For me it was an easy choice: the sound was much better, and bringing music to the Cavern wasn't exactly in-character anyway (there were arguments about this too). After a few broadcasts for which I used both, I switched to using Teamspeak exclusively for better sound and less feedback from voice chat. Ashtar, bless his heart, set up the Teamspeak server on his Great Tree system for us to use.

That led to my development of "Leader" playlists. I'd arrive at the party half an hour early with the leader running, and help anyone who arrived get connected. Downloading, installing and using the Teamspeak client wasn't hard but it was fussy. There was no copy-and-paste, so people had to enter the address manually. Running leader allowed me, and later on the other party hosts--we became very good at this--to spread that teaching time out.

After Ashtar set up a Shoutcast server for Dona and me to use, life became much easier. By that time, though, the leader practice was too well established to just drop it. I still run leader to this day, and have over 100 of them and their derivatives. I used Ash's server for years. Then he retired and needed to reduce expenses. Radio KTDN was going to shut down, but Julianna Lethdetter of the New Kadath Lighthouse Gallery in Second Life stepped in to provide a server. We carry on.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:00 am 

This is something I thought about, more as a "I wish we could somehow use one link to stream" kinda concept. As someone who isn't a DJ personally, I didn't realize there is a way. So, this is a possibility, but I have no idea on how to go about setting it up.

I believe Swifthawk, owner of Urutunes.com, has used his server to stream others as well. I think he also helped, or it was someone else (can't recall), stream for Ghaelen during the Anniversary so more people could tune in. Sadly, we've tried contacting Swifthawk about the anniversary of Urutunes in general and have received no response.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:57 am 
Obduction Backer

LordChaos: I think that what you call 'leader' we at RFD call 'preshow' - a stream of uncommented music on the broadcast channel for 30 minutes or so before the show starts, so everyone is sure they have the right channel. I'm going through my stash alphabetically for preshow tracks, for variety, but only when there are not enough tracks left over from the first cut for the show's theme to fill both pre and postshow.

Snickuster: Swifthawk/Ezriilc have certainly used their server to relay others before now so it is possible, but would require them to keep a watch on whats going on, and to have the broadcast addresses of all the contributing streams - OK for those already on Urutunes but some may not be. As a fallback, Urutunes itself can act as a sort of nexus, as long as the contributers are listed there. This would not allow us all to comment on each other's streams or chat together on the backchannel - but that would need one person acting as sound engineer with a hardware mixer.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:58 pm 

Isn't it wonderful when someone who doesn't know a topic tries to plan an event. :lol:

My current plan is to post, when we get closer to the event, a list of WHO is playing WHAT genre WHEN (KI time) and WHERE they will broadcast from (stream address).

If there is any sort of free way of putting all the DJ's on one stream, I would totally be up for it, but again, I have no knowledge of streaming, therefore I wouldn't know how to go about setting this up and would need a helping hand.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:06 pm 

Depending on what time of day you intend on starting this event I might be available

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:31 pm 

AlanD wrote:
LordChaos: I think that what you call 'leader' we at RFD call 'preshow'...
(or what Julianna Lethdetter calls "preroll" for her shows)

Yep. They served similar purposes, at the start.

The one desideratum for my first leader--lost, unfortunately, in a series of computer problems and operator errors--was that it be music I wouldn't mind hearing repeatedly. After all, I'd need only one for the purpose.

I've had an uneasy relationship with playlists. What I gained in smoothness and ease of presentation, I lost in spontaneity. For several months I went back and forth, sometimes ad hoc, other times using a playlist. And then one day I was making a playlist, saw a song on it, and thought "That relates to this other song."

In 2008 I provided music for the day-long Photo Quest Gallery Tour, which became a combination of jazz and classical music. I had to come up with ways to make the transitions between the two reasonably smooth; I didn't want people dropped off a musical cliff, nor banging into one.

Put those two ideas together--songs relating to each other, and good transitions--and you get framework of nearly all subsequent playlists I've made. That process started in new leaders, because it was easier for me to maintain a mood or thought over roughly 45 minutes than for a 3-hour set.

Practice leads to improvements. 45-minute leaders grew to an hour for administrative reasons (easier to know when to start, and provides time to get set up) and began to tell their own stories. Through the years the practice has led to the 6.5-hour 'Achieving Tomorrow" and the 19-hour Silk Road Musical Journey. And a bunch of offshoots, side trips and that great classic, the Road Trip in various forms.

Leaders have grown into more subtle themes, too. Last year during various Relay for Life events, I got some ideas for playlists: "On Not Quitting" and "On Not Being Alone." After some test runs with a very accommodating audience, I presented these at this year's RFL events.

So, we plant seeds. They come from a package that is often unlabelled, so we don't know what will grow from them.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:49 pm 

JayRho wrote:
Depending on what time of day you intend on starting this event I might be available

What would your time frame be? I'm hoping to have started by or before 1300KI. Not sure how long the event will run. That depends on how many DJ's we have for the event.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:11 pm 

17OO OR 1730 WOULD BE BEST FOR ME.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:01 pm 

JayRho wrote:
17OO OR 1730 WOULD BE BEST FOR ME.

I'll put you down, Jay. Hopefully we can fill the spots in between. Do you have a genre in mind that you would like to play?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:16 pm 

The British Invasion of the 60's

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:26 pm 
Obduction Backer

As I've already mentioned, 13 - 15 KI would be best for me. 1430 KI if it is free. Genre - well, one initial thought is 'Prog You Can Dance To'. I know that would let me get away with just one track at 30 minutes play time, but I wouldn't do that.

Anyway I've got to leave some space for me to talk between tracks.