It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:34 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:17 am 

The proof is in the moon. If you look at the moon in night-time Tomahna, you'll see that it's not just a moon, it's the moon. Our moon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:29 am 
Obduction Backer

klaxen wrote:
This is all assumptions.

Apart from the point where RAWA said that Tomahna is indeed an estate on Earth a few miles from the Cleft? :wink:

[spoiler]
RAWA wrote:
YES!!! Another A-HA I've waited over six years for... Thank you!! :) And thanks for showing a bit more enthusiasm this time ;)
Yes, Atrus moved back "home" to the Cleft at the end of the Book of D'ni. Between the end of the BoD and the beginning of Exile, they built a new home a distance away, but still in the same general area, as you can probably tell from Exile.
The assumption that one of them wrote it is understandable, but all references to Tomahna have been very carefully crafted to show that it was not a place that was written by Atrus or Catherine.
Helping Presto balance this in Exile was particularly interesting so that all the pieces would still fit once y'all figured this out. Something this important to me (to have you piece together on your own) was hard to trust to other people - for the first few years only Rand and I knew what Tomahna really was (I didn't even explain it to Wingrove for the BoD, I just told him how it needed to be described). I feared that letting Presto in on it was just asking for it to be leaked by someone. Thankfully, that didn't happen.
And now I'm trusting you with the same info... :)
Answers a lot of questions, doesn't it? Fills in the "hole" that people accused us of leaving in the story by not explaining how you get to Atrus in Exile. I just had to bite my tongue with the knowledge that someday y'all would get enough pieces to understand... :)
Don't worry, though, there are still more questions waiting to be answered.
[/spoiler]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:38 am 
Obduction Backer

Yes it might take days... although I don't know why Cyan would feel the need to recreate this time in real time. Oh yeah. They did do that in the Pod Ages....grrrrrr.

Remember Myst? Remember how we could speed travel to a location once we had already taken the route? I can't tell you how many times I have gone up land down adders in Uru and thought, can't I speed this up? Especially the final ascent in Kadish.

(And still, to this day, I will accidentally hit a wrong button en route and my avatar will change his mind and climb back off the ladder.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:22 pm 
Obduction Backer

I'd love to trek down the tunnels from the cleft to the cavern, the nexus points in the Eder Tomahn could be "save points" incase people get bored with the trek and want to go do something else.

The journey from surface to D'ni is actually one of the things I am looking forward to seeing most in the game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:49 pm 

Me too Tweek, I begged Cyan via RAWA quite a while ago, after Live was coming back to life to consider letting us come down from the Cleft, and have kept hoping that this might someday be possible after all the Great Shaft is already created (Myst V), and the volcano top exists, the passageways to the city were such an intriguing part of Atrus first experience of the city, and I would love to come and go with the same experience, the transition from Surface life to the Cavern helps frame the world of URU so poignantly. :)

Just please do not put that fellow Escher in our path :)

"We Build Worlds"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:57 pm 

Ian Atrus wrote:
klaxen wrote:
This is all assumptions.

Apart from the point where RAWA said that Tomahna is indeed an estate on Earth a few miles from the Cleft? :wink:

[spoiler]
RAWA wrote:
YES!!! Another A-HA I've waited over six years for... Thank you!! :) And thanks for showing a bit more enthusiasm this time ;)
Yes, Atrus moved back "home" to the Cleft at the end of the Book of D'ni. Between the end of the BoD and the beginning of Exile, they built a new home a distance away, but still in the same general area, as you can probably tell from Exile.
The assumption that one of them wrote it is understandable, but all references to Tomahna have been very carefully crafted to show that it was not a place that was written by Atrus or Catherine.
Helping Presto balance this in Exile was particularly interesting so that all the pieces would still fit once y'all figured this out. Something this important to me (to have you piece together on your own) was hard to trust to other people - for the first few years only Rand and I knew what Tomahna really was (I didn't even explain it to Wingrove for the BoD, I just told him how it needed to be described). I feared that letting Presto in on it was just asking for it to be leaked by someone. Thankfully, that didn't happen.
And now I'm trusting you with the same info... :)
Answers a lot of questions, doesn't it? Fills in the "hole" that people accused us of leaving in the story by not explaining how you get to Atrus in Exile. I just had to bite my tongue with the knowledge that someday y'all would get enough pieces to understand... :)
Don't worry, though, there are still more questions waiting to be answered.
[/spoiler]
/me puts foot in mouth
I didn't realize that was told.. guess that clears that up. in that case, i hope we can eventually not only walk the tunnels to D'ni but also walk to Tomahna (maybe the linking books from Revelation are still there!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:25 pm 
Obduction Backer

I love the idea of making the trek from the surface to the cavern too.

I'm not quite sure on how long the trek would be, but I would love it lasting a long time. I could totally see myself, possibly with a small group, making our way down, having to stop and camp along the way, bringing food and drink and sleeping bags and such :D.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:22 pm 
Obduction Backer

I could be wrong, but I thought from Myst V and several allusions from the DRC that Atrus's house in Tomahna is either well hidden or destroyed at the present time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:44 pm 

Ian Atrus wrote:
klaxen wrote:
This is all assumptions.

Thanks for this information. Where was this quote from? I'd like to see it in its original context, sounds like an interesting topic.

The journey from the Cleft to D'ni was and is one of the parts of the books that captured my imagination the most. I would like to see some part (if not all) of this journey, perhaps as Tweek suggested with Nexus link save points along the way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:34 pm 
Obduction Backer

Also, in one of Yeesha's imager messages, she refers to the cleft area as Tomahna :)

As for the Topic :), I wouldn't make the 3-day journey when I could just link, but I know some people would. But honestly I think that Cyan has a LOT of higher priorities ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:30 pm 
Obduction Backer

Aricle wrote:
Thanks for this information. Where was this quote from? I'd like to see it in its original context, sounds like an interesting topic.

It was a private message to IMForeman, which he reposted to the public with RAWA's permission.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:48 pm 

Ian Atrus wrote:
Tomahna is either well hidden or destroyed at the present time.

Less of the hate mail please! :lol:

TG