It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:07 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:58 pm 

I haven't been there in a while (quite obvious :wink: ) and today no one was around to ask, but what happened to the memorial in the pub, and the counter down at the docks? Who? When? Why?

Unicorn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:05 pm 

Two days ago, the memorial was still there, so that is a mystery to me. In fact, I just came back to MOUL after a number of months, and I STILL don't know who the memorial was for.

The counter was ordered removed by Laxman, as I understand it, a few days ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:07 pm 
Obduction Backer

About 18 hours ago the memorial was still there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:25 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

The lake light meter was removed by Laxman, who claimed it didn't work right, during the last episode. That was inspired by OOC complaints that there was no feedback as to how we were doing with our pellets, and that the light meter wasn't being updated properly by Cyan to show our progress. In my uninformed opinion, the lake light meter was a simple animation, not a readout, and might never have been intended to be more than a simple prop until Cyan could provide a better mechanism for feedback. The lake light meter backfired. Poof.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:27 pm 

How did you enter the city? If you used the Bahro link in the Bevin linking book room or the city book link to Tokotah, you will not see the memorial. It exists only in the public instance of the city accessed via the Nexus. As was already mentioned, the lake light meter was removed because it allegedly did not work properly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:32 pm 
Obduction Backer

Note that the memorial does not occur in the instanced city.

The memorial was placed where it is due to death of Wheely and Rose near that spot. IIRC, all other names on it are actual explorers who are no longer with us. The only one I knew of well was Pepsi.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:11 pm 
Obduction Backer

Although phend, Phil Henderson, had initially been on the memorial when it was placed. I imagine his name has been removed since he returned during the "Familiar Voices" episode wearing a Yeesha shirt.

"Laugh it up, Chuckles" -- Space Ghost to Rand Miller; MOUL KI #38615, Mulligan KI #37069, MOULa2.0 #130257

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:59 pm 

johnsojc...you're so right, I came to city from Bahro book in hood...I didn't know that wasn't the 'same' city...so why isn't there a memorial from Bahro book, they don't take responsibility for what happened? So they just hide it? hmmmmm...doesn't sound right to me.

Thanks for the other answer on the light meter machine...I remember hearing about that now...

Lonely city today...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:42 pm 

Chuckles58 wrote:
Although phend, Phil Henderson, had initially been on the memorial when it was placed. I imagine his name has been removed since he returned during the "Familiar Voices" episode wearing a Yeesha shirt.

Yes, his name has been removed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:47 pm 

Take a closer look at that corner of the Pub hallway in the instanced city Unicorn. You will also see that there is no crack or fallen rocks from the cave-in. It leads me to speculations about WHY is there a difference between the actual city and the instances that the Bahro gave to us. Will there be other differences? If so, what are/will they be? These are of course IC speculations, and probably don't belong in an OOC forum. However - Cyan having the devious minds they've always had leads me to believe that the differences are deliberate. They are too good with details to have just "forgotten" to put the memorial in the instanced cities.

Kero - KI#33425
Tarma - KI#36702

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:33 pm 
Obduction Backer

Kero wrote:
It leads me to speculations about WHY is there a difference between the actual city and the instances that the Bahro gave to us. Will there be other differences? If so, what are/will they be? These are of course IC speculations, and probably don't belong in an OOC forum. However - Cyan having the devious minds they've always had leads me to believe that the differences are deliberate. They are too good with details to have just "forgotten" to put the memorial in the instanced cities.

This is very discussable OOC. There's nothing wrong with talking about issues that arise in the IC world. But we can only get so far, because of lack of info--IC or out. IC, we know that a) the instances are real IC things, and b) the DRC doesn't know how they are possible and doesn't know how to explain them. I think that there is a pretty good, but not perfect, IC explanation, but it's going to run up against OOC reality in a couple of spots, because that's the nature of a giant online game.

My IC theory (or the one I believe, I won't claim it as "mine" since someone else has surely already come up with it) is that the Bahro took a "snapshot" of the cavern, and proliferated it amongst the 'hoods in a display of power similar to Yeesha's proliferation of Relto. That holds up, in that new changes to the city no longer show up in the instances (like the memorial and the cracks), but the theory runs into trouble in that it also gets copies of new books. (note, there's nothing wrong with the Bahro stones appearing/disappearing, we all know the Bahro are busy creatures).

The reality is that GT needed a way for everyone to be able to visit the city, in a time when they could barely handle 30 people at a time. I think that the instancing can be a clever solution if they continue to play it right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:40 pm 

So, Vidroth, etc....are you saying that because the 'instanced' city exists totally separate from 'real' city... when the destruction happens if we can get to the instanced city we'll be safe...? or, if we're in the instanced city we're - toast !

So that's why we have to 'find a home'...and hope we picked the right one...?!?

hmmmmmm...interesting...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:12 pm 
Obduction Backer

Unicorn wrote:
So, Vidroth, etc....are you saying that because the 'instanced' city exists totally separate from 'real' city... when the destruction happens if we can get to the instanced city we'll be safe...? or, if we're in the instanced city we're - toast !

So that's why we have to 'find a home'...and hope we picked the right one...?!?

hmmmmmm...interesting...
Interestingly, the GZ doesn't recognize the instances as being separate from the main city, even though main city changes no longer affect the instances. Hard to say what will matter and what won't.

I'm not sure how hard Cyan will push to take all the OOC necessities and make them fit IC. At some point, "the bahro did it and we don't know how" stops being a satisfying answer. :)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:45 am 

Unicorn wrote:
I haven't been there in a while (quite obvious :wink: ) and today no one was around to ask, but what happened to the memorial in the pub, and the counter down at the docks? Who? When? Why?

Unicorn

The memorial was for players who died in real life.

That which doesn't kill me is gonna regret its failure.

-Silmefea

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:39 pm 

silmefea wrote:
The memorial was for players who died in real life.

That's partly true. Some of the names on there are of explorers that died in real life. However, Phil was on there until we found out he wasn't dead and I'm pretty sure I remember seeing Branch and Elias Zandi on there, though they aren't anymore.

KI# 00140468