It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:27 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:37 am 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
It's been eight years since the installation of the Explorers Memorial, so it's not surprising if there are many explorers who've arrived since then that are unaware of its history or even know whether or not the names are of real people. It periodically comes up on this forum. Even explorers who were around at that time likely don't know all that much about more than a just a few of the people on it.

So, I created an Explorers Memorial wiki page to provide more information on the memorial and an In Memoriam page to tell the stories of the real people behind the names.

The main page is still a work-in-progress because my primary focus was on tracking down information on the people, so there's still plenty of information left to be added to the history of the memorial.

I've tried to keep the In Memoriam page format simple, just providing the facts and links to places where the people who knew them tell their stories in more detail. I mainly tried to cover the era(s) they were active in the community and if they did anything notable (Forum Moderator, Guild Master, Liaison, Age-Builder, Mysterium Committee Member, etc.).

As always, feedback is welcome.

Thanks to Mac_Fife for the entry format coding, advice and suggestions, and to all those who previewed it and gave feedback: Ace, Acorn, Anarta, Donahoo, Doobes, Granelda, JWPlatt, Kerryth, Lial, Lord Chaos, Peni, Pigbristles, and Watashi. Special thanks to RAWA for providing information on two of the names and for maintaining the memorial.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:17 am 
Obduction Backer

Apparently Ron Hayter, the creator of Riveal and Revelator, is no longer with us as well.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:30 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thanks for letting me know, Tweek. I've got his page ready to go; as soon as the name shows up on the memorial, I'll attach it to the In Memoriam page. Do you know if anyone has contacted Cyan to request that, yet?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:26 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thanks so much for doing this, Tai'lahr!

I've learned something about those on the Memorial who were unknown to me, and I'm sure this will be very useful for us in the future.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:49 pm 
Obduction Backer

Update: Ron Hayter has been added to the memorial and to the wiki pages. Mo'zie's name has been corrected in both places to Maureen "Mo'zie" Jannot which is the way it was originally written on the memorial when it was installed in 2007.

Apparently, someone posted a list of the names on the day the memorial was unveiled, listing just Mo'zie without her full name, and that inaccurate list was copied verbatim to other forums and continued to be copied over the years. Unfortunately, it was accepted as an accurate list and was used as a reference when the memorial was reactivated just before the cavern reopened in 2010.

I believe the list of names on the In Memoriam wiki page is accurate now, and if there is ever an error, I hope someone will point it out to me.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:13 pm 
Obduction Backer

This is a wonderful thing you've done, Tai'Lahr. I do hope this topic gets stickied so it can serve as a pointer to the OpenURU pages you've created.

I think, when people are looking for info on missing friends from the cavern, it will become a go-to site. When such visitors have memories and info they might want to have added to these pages, how would they best go about that?

Something else I've often wondered: when we explorers have questions about former friends and acquaintances from the caverns, wanting to know whether they're okay IRL or merely drifted away from URU, where do we turn? Do you think maybe I should start a "Where Are They" or "Missing" topic? I'm not sure whether that might be opening a can of worms, in that some people may not want to be "found"...yet it's true that we do form bonds in-cavern that are sincere and lasting. Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:24 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thank you, Emor. It was both difficult and rewarding. I suppose if this thread was stickied, people could also use it to report verified deaths of community members (with links to more information, I'd hope).
Emor D'ni Lap wrote:
When such visitors have memories and info they might want to have added to these pages, how would they best go about that?
Well, it's a wiki page, so anyone registered to the OU site can add to it, but I hope they'll follow the format I've set up and stick to just reporting the facts. It's not really a place for people to post their personal memories, but if they start a thread on a forum or create a webpage for that, then the link to it can be added to the wiki page. And, if they can't or don't want to make additions themselves, they can post here or PM me here or on the OU forum.

Emor D'ni Lap wrote:
Something else I've often wondered: when we explorers have questions about former friends and acquaintances from the caverns, wanting to know whether they're okay IRL or merely drifted away from URU, where do we turn? Do you think maybe I should start a "Where Are They" or "Missing" topic? I'm not sure whether that might be opening a can of worms, in that some people may not want to be "found"...yet it's true that we do form bonds in-cavern that are sincere and lasting. Any thoughts?
A discussion somewhat in that direction got started in Zardoz's thread and I asked to have it moved (it's now Updating Explorer Memorial) with every intention of continuing the discussion, so I'm going to quote you and answer you there.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:19 pm 
Obduction Backer

Has it been added to Rel.to yet?

KI #46116 Image Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
MacOS wrappers, D’ni Notes, DniTools, goodies

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:30 pm 

korovev wrote:
Has it been added to Rel.to yet?
I just went to check, and the entire website appears to have disappeared... it's showing an introductory page for the host. (link for convenience)

MO:ULagain KI: #00042189 (unused) • #01521023
The cavern is Image, Minkata is Image
@rivenimagebot@CavernCondition
Unused content in: RivenEoARMME

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:13 pm 
Obduction Backer

Yep, I forgot it’s temporarily down for maintanance :) .

KI #46116 Image Donate to help the Cavern stay open!
MacOS wrappers, D’ni Notes, DniTools, goodies

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:10 pm 
Obduction Backer

The Explorers Memorial wiki page now has a rel.to address: rel.to/expmem

It can also be accessed via rel.to/memorial, but I didn't want that to be the main address in case there's ever another memorial or memorial website.

Also, added a new section to the page, Submissions.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:50 pm 
Obduction Backer

Tai'lahr created a small tribute in Second Life for explorers who have passed on, and opened it for one day: Sunday, November 1st - to celebrate the Day of the Dead and this completed Memorial Wiki project for Uru/D'ni Explorers.

Video of Explorer's Tribute

Many explorers visited during the day. The above video was taken late in 'evening' as the candles lit up and again during sunrise as they went out one-by-one. As we were gathered also for Music Night, D'niJ Ktahdn set the scene to music.

It was amazing :)

I have convinced Tai'lahr to leave the tribute open for a few more days. I believe it will be taken down Friday afternoon/evening, SLT. If you haven't been there, please visit.

SLURL: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/D ... 131/211/22

As on Sunday, I will play myst/uru/similar music on KRHI Radio each day during the day (SLT). You can listen in the SL location or from wherever you are: http://199.180.72.2:8201/

A story: De Landria

Ghaelen: Moula.2 KI #64299