It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:37 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:53 am 

I wonder what really is the sad thing about all this. The fact that a well known and estimated member of our community has passed away or that we only notice this almost a year afterwards?

Post subject: Re: Zardoz
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:29 am 
Obduction Backer

cpt-jericho wrote:
I wonder what really is the sad thing about all this. The fact that a well known and estimated member of our community has passed away or that we only notice this almost a year afterwards?

I think it may have recently been posted on the imager. Someone would have noted it otherwise. Attex had just noticed that their friend jmb30321 was listed there, and she had passed just last month. Cyan has probably been too busy to update the imager, or had just recently found out about it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:31 am 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
I think it's just the nature of an online community - especially one that ebbs and flows between exciting times and quiet times. People move on to other interests and sometimes they return when things pick up again and sometimes they don't. We may not notice they're gone because posting in general has slowed down or we may notice their absence, but assume they'll return when things get more interesting. In one of Zardoz's posts that I linked to in the OP, he stated that he wasn't really a social player, so he may not been in regular contact with anyone who would become concerned when the contact stopped.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:15 am 

Well, GoMe itself has a member who has disappeared, who's named Irissa.

She was actually quite active coordinating the Cavern Criers. She was also working to create group which was to be an affiliate of GoMe, called Cavern Event Services. Last we heard, (please note this is before my time), she was sick and feeling very ill. We've not heard from her since, nor have any emails we've sent been responded to.

Be that as it may, wherever she may be, everyone here at GoMe hopes she is well, healthy, and in good spirits.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:45 pm 
Obduction Backer

Recently, in a discussion about the Explorers Memorial, Lord Chaos posted that he wondered what happened to Oldmanjob, a regular at Ktahdn's Music Night event. We hadn't seen or heard from him since mid 2012, so I did some searching and was able to find out that he had passed away.

I like Nev's attitude. Sometimes it's nicer to think that a community member has just moved on and is still living a full life, so busy that they just don't have time for us, anymore. But, sometimes people want closure. Since LC had expressed concern for OMJ a few times, I felt like he needed closure and pursued the answer.

Thread about Oldmanjob on the GoG forum.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:54 pm 
Obduction Backer

(carried over from the Explorers Memorial thread)

Emor D'ni Lap wrote:
Something else I've often wondered: when we explorers have questions about former friends and acquaintances from the caverns, wanting to know whether they're okay IRL or merely drifted away from URU, where do we turn? Do you think maybe I should start a "Where Are They" or "Missing" topic? I'm not sure whether that might be opening a can of worms, in that some people may not want to be "found"...yet it's true that we do form bonds in-cavern that are sincere and lasting. Any thoughts?
Yes, the bonds we form with others in the cavern (or even outside of it, on the forums) makes it difficult to be left without answers when someone just seems to disappear.

I know there are many community members who seem to be missing but they're really not that far away. I see them on my Skype list or in SL or on other forums, but they're just not posting here. I'm sure there are many more like that, just a few contacts away from here (someone knows someone who knows where someone is). So, if you started a "Where Are They" or "Missing" topic, you might end up getting a lot of positive responses of people checking in.

I suppose there might be some people who don't want to be found, but I kinda doubt those are the same kinds of people who made a name for themselves here. And, those who were well-known here should be relatively easy to track down without going to any great lengths and invading their privacy.

I think the "can of worms" has already been opened with the Explorers Memorial wiki page project. See my post above for what became of the discussion about OMJ. For me, personally, I would consider doing a search for someone on a case-by-case basis. In OMJ's case, considering his age (73), lengthy involvement in the community and sudden disappearance, it seemed reasonable to suspect there was something wrong and made sense to try to find the answer.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:42 am 
Obduction Backer

We had a friend pass away last Fall, someone we usually only saw a few times a year because she lived some distance away, but no one in our circle of friends found out until months later. Her parents didn't have a contact list with any of us on it!

I would urge that anyone with a regular presence on some of these on-line forums, especially ones like this where it is really more of a community, that they leave a contact list, URLs, their ID for the site, or specific people to inform. This might be something that should be filed with a Will or other such documents, or left with a trusted friend.

Many of us are now leaving "cyber ghosts" out there. Websites, writings, posts, photos... While some of these may provide a continuing legacy and record of our time here, others really ought to be removed, shut down, or accounts closed once the owner is no longer around. This is especially important for some automatic payment accounts.

A list of sites, IDs, and passwords should probably be left with instructions with whoever is Executor for the person's estate. Fortunately, my father left a list of the important ones for me as Executor after I suggested it to him. It made the difficult times a little easier.

-Pinkutus & the Borg

Ad astra
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:29 am 
Cyan Employee

I do try to keep the memorial up to date. If there are explorers who are confirmed that should be on the Memorial, please send their info to me (rawa @ cyan.com), and I will add it as soon as I can.

format:
<firstName> "<avatarName/nickName>" <lastName>

I try to do it the same day, however, with everything currently on my plate (that whole brain tumor thing), response time might be noticeably slower.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:09 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

I think that a "same day service" is more than any of us could reasonably expect, even with a fully functioning RAWA ;)

Image Mac - MOULagain KI#00004826 00004289
In the interests of the environment, this post has been constructed entirely from recycled electrons.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:32 pm 

RAWA,

Thanks for doing that for us. It breaks my heart because I know every single person that has been placed up there so far.

Aunt Jeannie (jmb30321) was one of my adopted Aunts who watched me get married, get divorced, get my second academic degree, all because I met her in Cavern and we were in the Ladies Garden Club together.

Thanks for making sure she now rests in a place of honor.

KI: 839389

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:22 am 

Maybe we should create "current status" and "significant contact" fields in the profile we can all update that could populate a central file (such as the membership file). Might be cool and helpful. Maybe half of us would update it as to our whereabouts, but it would be nice to see...and it could serve as a potential mailing list for updates, both to members and from members or their representatives.

That said, in games like this, it is sometimes difficult to realize that someone here might care if you leave this game or this life....even though, for most of us, this truly has been a large slice of life.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:39 am 
Obduction Backer

At 7:41 PM Central Time, I received an email from RAWA in reply to a request I sent him.

The name of Deirdre Karris is now on the memorial.

That may be the single most important thing I've had a hand in all year.

3 # 11308
The Lost Library of D'ni

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 3:53 am 
Obduction Backer

Updated the Explorers Memorial & In Memoriam wiki pages with the addition of Deirdre's page.