It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:11 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: A graveyard
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:08 am 
Obduction Backer

When I read in thread Rememberance of Pepsi and the Reasons why Uru deeply touches about the request for memorials for passed away Uru enthusiasts, I got the idea for this suggestion. This may appear macabre at a first glance but I think that a D'ni graveyard could add to Uru Live as a place for contemplation and reflection as well as conveying story elements. (I am not sure about the implications of actually setting up memorials for Uru players in-game. I can imagine that such could even lead to avid Uru fans requesting in their testaments to be "buried in Uru Live"...)

I do like the mood of places like the Kadish Gallery and Ahnonay Temple and I believe that I am not the only one. A graveyard could create a similar but more contemplative mood. At the same time it would be interesting to learn about the burial habits of the D'ni. In real life, graveyards also tell much about the people buried there, about their life and social communities. In Uru, a graveyard could tell us similar things about the D'ni, be they ordinary people or important figures. Perhaps even the DRC could make use of such a restorated graveyard, e.g. they could set up a memorial for Phil Henderson.

I would like to have such a graveyard not as a public place in Uru Live but rather as a private instance that can be accessed from Ae'gura. However, it should be possible to visit such a place together with others if you want to, i.e. make it shareable. Whether the graveyard should be a dedicated part of the city or a seperate Age, I am not sure. Maybe both would be possible, an area in the city where ordinary people were buried and where one can also find a linking book to a special (burial) Age where the more important persons were layed to rest, or vice versa.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:34 am 

This is a really great suggestion. And one that would have a lot of gameplay and history of the D'ni behind it.

I have always thought of graveyards as a more peaceful place than a macabre place. And I have enough faith and trust in Cyan to see that difference as well.

With the private instancing, an age like this could also be used by the explorers for our own purposes if the needs (heaven forbid) should ever arise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:25 am 
Obduction Backer

Taltos wrote:
With the private instancing, an age like this could also be used by the explorers for our own purposes if the needs (heaven forbid) should ever arise.

Sadly, it already has... I know the subject of a place of remembrance for lost Explorers (not through an in-Cavern calamity, but their actual passing) has come up in the past, and IIRC, it's something Cyan does want to do at some point. I'm all for such a thing as well... it's worth remembering those we've lost.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:24 am 
Obduction Backer

I just hate to say this but: What about the significant possibility of someone faking their own death to get added to this proposed graveyard?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:03 pm 
Obduction Backer

Errh, I would like to point out that this adding of memorials for Uru players is only one tiny aspect of my suggestion. I even put it in parantheses and explicitly noted that I am not sure about the implications of its actual implementation. I am sure Cyan would know best how to handle this.

Maybe you all could focus on discussing the other aspects of this suggestion, please?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:04 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

I remember Tweek working on a Memorial Age at one point in time. I also remember another discussion about this quite a while back, but I have no idea where the link to that topic is. I think it would be a wonderful idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:59 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

I also think it's a great idea.
To solve the idea of the possibility to contemplate there alone (even without neighbors), it certainly would have to be privately instanced, and that contradicts the current intended instancing of city locations according to the Moke-log thats floating around somewhere?

The Great Tomb (in the former Temple, is that in the Guild Hall area?) is King Ahlsendars supposed grave? I forgot were the D'ni buried their people in general. I'd like to see graveyards from the Pre-Fall era and I forgot where Atrus (in BoD) put bodies they found, but it would be interesting to see those Post-Fall graves as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:11 pm 

Here's a link

http://www.urulive.com/forums/viewtopic ... light=dead

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:32 pm 
Obduction Backer

Yep, I am still working on the Memorial Age, worked as slowed down slightly cause the parties involved are very busy now that Uru Live has opened up and stuff. It will be seen, I am very determined to get it done.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]