It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:32 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 2:49 am 
Obduction Backer

Cycreim wrote:
At such high concurrency, it's no wonder they're having problems! It was temporary anyway (I managed to link into Minkata after a bit of trouble) but everything seems to be better now. It took me, what, half an hour to get in. Is this really something worthy of such outrage?

If it was "no wonder," why didn't Cyan expect it?

And I didn't even care about Minkata, I wanted to meet Rand. I was invited for heaven's sake...

And to be fair, I don't know how culpable GameTap is in this, but they're not the one's making the promise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 2:49 am 
Obduction Backer

By the way you sourpusses,

The server has recovered and players are now enjoying Minkata.

You can continue to stew on these forums, or you can try logging back in again... and maybe, just maybe your whole night won't be wasted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 2:51 am 

The Noble Robot wrote:
Cycreim wrote:
At such high concurrency, it's no wonder they're having problems! It was temporary anyway (I managed to link into Minkata after a bit of trouble) but everything seems to be better now. It took me, what, half an hour to get in. Is this really something worthy of such outrage?

And I didn't even care about Minkata, I wanted to meet Rand. I was invited for heaven's sake...

And to be fair, I don't know how culpable GameTap is in this, but they're not the one's making the promise.

It seemed like a hardware failure to me. Maybe a router at GameTap's NOC crashed...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 3:00 am 

Yes, Cyan made the promise, to the stuff they made, and made accessible (in game), but GT is (at least I think it is) responsible for the content being available through their servers...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 3:31 am 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
The server has recovered and players are now enjoying Minkata.

Everyone. This is not about Minkata, which is now available (If Late). It was about the Meet & Greet with Rand, which is now over.

Edited to remove all-caps - 5/24/07 - by Whitch2

Last edited by The Noble Robot on Sat May 26, 2007 5:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 3:39 am 

Frankly, I think they (and we) knew this was gonna happen. At least I hope so. We've all seen what happens when a character appears in a 'hood, and how sluggish the game has run over the last week's activities. It may be a server issue, it may be a net code issue, or maybe an engine issue. Whatever the issue, I would hope that Cyan now has an idea as to what they can expect in the future and will put forth a serious effort to address them in the near future.

I'm not angry, though I am a bit disappointed that I wasn't able to participate tonight. My concern is that if these issues aren't dealt with in the near future it could stifle the game's potential for growth and possible drive away current players due to frustration.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 3:43 am 
Obduction Backer

You only set yourself up for disappointment I'm afraid. It is common knowledge how Uru performs during large-scale events. While I will admit that the stability is getting somewhat better every release, if you chose to ignore this knowledge, then it is you own fault.

Now, you can continue to waste time on here or go do something productive, such as reading a good book or by playing Beyond Good & Evil on GameTap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 3:52 am 

I was logged in for the duration and although it slowed down quite a bit and there WAS problems logging in, the system performed remarkably well considering the number of connected players. Keep in mind this is all NEW folks. I'm sure Cyan and GameTap expected a bunch of people to show up but by all accounts this was UNPRECEDENTED!! One of the veteran explorers noted that a lot of 'Guests' (folks logging in with newly created free accounts) were logging in and seeing a Bevin with 150+ folks in it is might interesting from there point of view (invitation or not). Rest assured, I'm positive that Cyan and GT will address these problems (and others) in due course. After all, if we aren't playing.....they aren't making money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 3:55 am 

Rather than frothing at the mouth and demanding formal apologies, why not look on the bright side? It's impossible that either Cyan or Gametap will be able to ignore the insane load-related server problems had this week. They've seen how popular the game is, seen the issues facing them, and I for one believe that they'll be doing all they can to fix them.

Certainly when Blake from Gametap linked into the City and got stuck on the stairs due to lag, I think they can see there's issues. :p

Yeah, they should have anticipated more problems. They should have thought bigger. But I honestly believe that they simply underestimated their own popularity by a substantial degree. Rand said last week that Scars was going to be a valuable exercise in gathering performance data, and wey-hey, they've got an overabundance of it now. I am fully expecting that their engineers are already at work on it.

I think the positives, like the exhilaration of the storyline and the strengthening of community bonds that Scars has given us far outweighs the negatives, those being the occasionally unpleasant crashes and server problems. (For the record, I haven't crashed once this week, and never had linking problems beyond the population cap. But that's just me.)

Like I said, there's a bright side. I'm choosing to look at that. You don't have to, but I think it might be more productive and helpful if you did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 3:56 am 

Here's some screen shots of the link-in area a full 2+ hours before Rand appeared.....

[spoiler]

Image Image [/spoiler]

Last edited by Gelleron Sansto on Fri May 25, 2007 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 3:57 am 
Obduction Backer

The Noble Robot wrote:
Cycreim wrote:

Expecting it and being able to overcome what is widely regarded as the biggest and most complex issue facing the game in less than a month are two very different things. Issues stemming from record concurrency are also notoriously difficult to plan for if you can't test at that concurrency... it's a learning experience going forward, and I'm betting that bottlenecks are being uncovered on a regular basis at this point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 4:14 am 
Cyan Employee

While I can't speak for the company, I will speak for myself as a designer of this game. I would assume the company would agree but I will not be spokesman for them right now.

I am sorry.

It's incredibly frustrating that we couldn't fit all of you into a neighborhood at once and without trouble. It's incredibly frustrating that we can't get more of you into the city.

I'm not making excuses but I will say these things anyway:

First, we set records tonight for concurent users (by a long shot) as well as people in a neighborhood (over 180). To be honest, I wasn't expecting that many of you to bombard the hood to see Rand when a new Age is out. But you did and it was a big pain to try and get in.

Second, we are working on things to fix our problems. I know that gets old but I don't know what else I can say. We obviously haven't fixed them and that's all that matters to you. Still, know that we are working on solutions to these very annoying and frustrating problems.

Again, I'm sorry for those of you who were not able to participate tonight or for those of you who had an unpleasant experience.

Truly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 4:17 am 

Thanks, RSJM. From one geek to another.....I feel your pain

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 4:19 am 
Obduction Backer

I don't expect an apology from anyone.....But I can sure identify with the frustration that is a consequence of this debocaled event.....I'm disappointed and about at the hight of my furstration. I've organized many major events and you cannot have an event this large without organization...I feel this event lacked just that....In addition, I've said it on other threads and I'll say it here....We've known for quite some time that the servers cannot handle the numbers. GameTap wants numbers.......Many of us worked tirelessly to bring in the numbers but many of the NUMBERS couldn't get to play. Rand went to a hood with a population of 175 which with a server strong enough should have handled it....Many of us sat in hoods Reltos and Ages...waiting for relays and we got two or three brief sentences.....This is not going to fly.....GT has got to come up with more funds for better and bigger servers....Servers that will handle the numbers......

And to be honest with you I'm as angry as anyone here.

SG

EDIT: Apparently rsjm and I were cross posting and I do thank you .....I do not blame Cyan and you still have my undying support...but I think Uru needs a boost in server....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 4:31 am 

How about video conferencing for all the Bevins where the character doesn't appear. There's a video screen right near the link in spot for EVERY Bevin.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next