It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:40 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 7:36 am 
Obduction Backer

I was sleeping happily at the envisaged meeting time, so I missed all the frustration. However I am not at all surprised to hear of the problems, in fact I was expecting them. Honestly, who wasn't?

I don't believe that beefing up hardware will do. I see little benefit in demanding even bigger and fatter machines, just in order to handle some singular events of a few hours per month while average server load might well be less than 5% (wild guess). Even the most benevolent investor can't support that.

As Supergram put before, the only key to this is organisation. SG herself and many other explorers have remarkable expertise in organizing large scale events. Are there any reasons why Cyan did not ask for help and advice? I bet many would have just loved to assist and things might have gone much smoother ... I am sorry to see so many explorers upset and disapointed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 7:51 am 
Obduction Backer

I just wanted to thank you for posting, rsjm. It was reassuring just to know that someone was really reading these forums and it was nice to hear that you are working on the problems, even if that seems obvious. I often feel that no one at Cyan pays attention to what is said here, and so I'm happy to see at least one time in which that wasn't the case. So thank you very much!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 8:04 am 

For me, RSJM's post is about more than a simple apology. Even though he's not talking as a company representative as such, the main thing that I read in his post is an acknowledgement that Cyan knows about the problems (well I guess they could hardly NOT know about them) and they are working to try to fix them.

I must admit that for a long time I have wondered why the screens in the bevins aren't used to make DRC announcements more inclusive. If the DRC want to make an announcement, why not record it as a video that can be played on the screen? They could even include real voice (like Zandi's audio announcement). This could perhaps be streaming, or an automatically downloading file update once the announcement is released.

(As an aside, I do feel that important announcements should be available to all in the game, rather than having to have such a heavy reliance on the forums and fan websites).

If realtime streaming video to the screens were possible then it could also relieve the strain of having lots of avatars in the same bevin during an event. Perhaps there are technical reasons why this can't be done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 8:19 am 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
Robot, nowhere did they promise that you'd be able to get into the bevin, or even the game

Okay, then by your logic if TV Guide says that a TV show is on Thursdays at 8/7c, and you turn on your TV at that time and your the show is not only not there, but your TV catches fire, then you wouldn't be surprised??

Herohtar wrote:
No offense, but it seems to me that Cyan isn't the one who needs to grow up. If you're giving up time with your wife for a game, it seems you need to take a look at your priorities. I would have loved to be there to see Rand, but some of my friends were graduating tonight -- I attended the graduation. While it was disappointing to miss Rand, I had a good time with my friends, and I know there will be other chances to see Rand.

Okay, you can't preface your insults with "no offense" and make everything okay. Let's refrain from making personal judgments, eh?

My wife and I spend just about all our free time together, and it's not like I won't be seeing these friends this weekend and... I don't have to explain myself. Where the fiery abyss do you get off judging me and my priorities?

The analogy is simple. Say you go out to a movie, pay for your ticket, but then the movie is canceled, but no refund or apology is given. Sure it's not the end of the world, and I've said as much, but wouldn't you want some kind of explanation, refund or apology. I'm really not asking for much here... I don't need people like you insulting me.

And no, there are not many other chances to meet Rand. For sure, a graduation is more important, and I wouldn't miss a family event for Uru, it's not like I missed a birthday or a special event tonight, but I did trust Cyan to give me what they said they would. And I did get an invite to this party, so I should fully expect to get in.

I had my night ruined, so I asked for and got an apology, and yet you and you vicious attitude show up to insult and degrade me personally.

What is your problem??? What did I do to you?

Last edited by The Noble Robot on Fri May 25, 2007 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 8:21 am 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
Now as for lag... WoW solved that issue by increasing the number of meeting spaces... Ironforge is much friendlier now with the introduction of The Exodar and Shattrath City... not sure how UrU could do something like this, but different companies have different ways of working on this.

Theoretically in Uru the city instances would (partly) cure the problem. In fact, as the sharing procedure is faulty, you cannot use it when you and your friend(s) belong to different hoods. You cannot collect the markers from a lagfree city instance together with your friend, if you don't belong to the same hood. The correction of this should have of the highest priority.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 8:26 am 

Crid wrote:
If realtime streaming video to the screens were possible then it could also relieve the strain of having lots of avatars in the same bevin during an event. Perhaps there are technical reasons why this can't be done.

That's a great idea Crid. :D It will probably always be extremely difficult to cram every player into the same area at the same time.
Also takes the pressure off the relayers.

Fawntree KI#01276191

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 9:24 am 

The Noble Robot wrote:
Okay, then by your logic if TV Guide says that a TV show is on Thursdays at 8/7c, and you turn on your TV at that time and your the show is not only not there, but your TV catches fire, then you wouldn't be surprised??

Sure, I'd be surprised, and believe it or not, I've had that experience (minus the TV catching on fire) But it's not that important that I'd start demanding an apology from the company and telling them to grow up. And if my TV did catch on fire, I most certainly wouldn't expect them to fix it.

The Noble Robot wrote:
Okay, you can't preface your insults with "no offense" and make everything okay. Let's refrain from making personal judgments, eh?

My wife and I spend just about all our free time together, and it's not like I won't be seeing these friends this weekend and... I don't have to explain myself. Where the fiery abyss do you get off judging me and my priorities?

The analogy is simple. Say you go out to a movie, pay for your ticket, but then the movie is canceled, but no refund or apology is given. Sure it's not the end of the world, and I've said as much, but wouldn't you want some kind of explanation, refund or apology. I'm really not asking for much here... I don't need people like you insulting me.

And no, there are not many other chances to meet Rand. For sure, a graduation is more important, and I wouldn't miss a family event for Uru, it's not like I missed a birthday or a special event tonight, but I did trust Cyan to give me what they said they would. And I did get an invite to this party, so I should fully expect to get in.

I had my night ruined, so I asked for and got an apology, and yet you and you vicious attitude show up to insult and degrade me personally.

What is your problem??? What did I do to you?

My "no offense" was not meant as "if I say this then everything is okay". I prefaced it with that because my purpose was not to offend, but to truly state how things appeared to me, and I knew it could be offensive. It probably wasn't said the best way though... I'm sorry. It's just that I've seen so many people complaining about Cyan and demanding things from them and it's kind of getting annoying.

Your analogy only works up to a point... the event wasn't canceled, it was only extremely difficult to get to for some people. Cyan wasn't keeping people out on purpose. From RSJM's post itself -- records were set tonight with the number of players in the game. And as has been stated, they are working on fixing the problems people are experiencing; they find them as annoying and frustrating as everyone else.

I think this is a better analogy: A totally awesome band is coming to my city and fliers are up everywhere inviting people to come to the (free!) concert. They even sent letters to everyone in town. I really want to go, so I make plans to be there -- cancel stuff with my wife even. The day arrives, and I get in my car and head to the concert. However, once I get there I find that the location is packed, in fact, it's so full that no one can even get in, so I'm forced to go home. I knew full well that there was limited seating and that many other people would be attending the same concert. So the question is: Does the band owe me an apology because they promised me a concert via the letters and fliers? I would say the answer is no.

Last edited by Herohtar on Fri May 25, 2007 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 11:15 am 
Obduction Backer

nebodin wrote:
While I can't speak for everyone playing this game, I will speak for myself as a player of this game. I would assume most players would agree but I will not be spokesman for them right now.

I am sorry.

It's incredibly frustrating that so many of us love what you are doing so much and understand how difficult it must be, yet are represented on these forums by those who are so very angry and demand even more of you. It's incredibly frustrating to know that despite the fact that you are working as hard as you can, your efforts are constantly shredded by furious and demanding individuals.

We know that you are working on things to fix your problems. Know that we know this, and don't feel too disheartened by all the anger you see on these forums. It is a small contingent; the majority of us understand your troubles and appreciate your efforts.

Again, I'm sorry for those of you who are working so hard to create the best game possible but are still so heavily berated.

Truly.

Thank you for this posting. I second this.

(And to make it clear: I set my alarm clock to check things out at 3am of my local time. I did not meet Rand Miller. I got booted when I tried linking to Minkata for the first time. It took me 45 minutes to get back into the game. And it was worth it. And I feel the need to join nebodin when he says: "I'm sorry for those of you who are working so hard to create the best game possible but are still so heavily berated.")

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 11:32 am 
Obduction Backer

nebodin wrote:
While I can't speak for everyone playing this game, I will speak for myself as a player of this game. I would assume most players would agree but I will not be spokesman for them right now.

I am sorry.

It's incredibly frustrating that so many of us love what you are doing so much and understand how difficult it must be, yet are represented on these forums by those who are so very angry and demand even more of you. It's incredibly frustrating to know that despite the fact that you are working as hard as you can, your efforts are constantly shredded by furious and demanding individuals.

We know that you are working on things to fix your problems. Know that we know this, and don't feel too disheartened by all the anger you see on these forums. It is a small contingent; the majority of us understand your troubles and appreciate your efforts.

Again, I'm sorry for those of you who are working so hard to create the best game possible but are still so heavily berated.

Truly.

My sentiments exactly!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 11:46 am 

You will now read a post from a person who had a really nice evening. :)

I logged at 9 pm my time (that's 1 pm cavern time). I did a marker mission and had a marker beneath the bridge that I caught on the first try. (!) Then I went to nexus and saw that there were already about 50 peeps in A Beginner's Bevin. I laughed at the groupies. ;) I went to UO to hang around with the people there and it was very nice. I certainly didn't plan to stay up all the time until the Age release (3 am *ehem*) but the hood were just filling up with all these nice people I never got the chance to meet otherwise because I'm usually asleep when they log on. We chatted, we found out if there was someone in ABB that could relay for us (thanks again all relayers :D), we kept a look on how many were waiting for Rand in ABB, we tracked cyanists and shared their KInumbers, I had a picture of Rand sent to me and I tried to stick it on the imager but it still register slowly so I PMd it to those who wanted it instead...

But most important of all, I had a really great time. Maybe it was because I knew I could never get into the hood to meet Rand and that it was useless for me to get into Minkata at 4 am in the morning. And lag... well it's always been a problem and it will always be because it's a hard nut to crack and it will take time. It could be made a lot better though, but if you're patient you'll see it one day.

Now I'm off to pick up Minkata before I go exploring it tonight with a few of my old and new-found Uru friends. :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 12:02 pm 

I had little or no frustration at all.

Long line of linkers at the Library (say that three times...) but otherwise I got in with a small group of friends and got lost :P

Noble, would you agree this topic should be closed? I mean, you've got your apology. All that will happen now is "ME TOO :evil: " posts telling about how they're going to cancel uru and set fire to Rand's hair and etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 12:07 pm 

I think you need to do some tweaking on your ubersystem Robert. I logged into ABB when the population count was 154. I got the freeze, was expecting it, but this time instead of killing process I waited. Tooled around the room some, made some dinner, read a book, and 20 minutes later, VOILA!, I was in the Bevin. There had to be at least 30 people at the link-in point, big link monster, which doesn't help matters any. Movement was very slow, but move I was able to. Now, a friend of mine plays this game on a laptop. When the server gets like this they can be sitting in their Relto and still crash out because of the load. Most of us pretty much accept these problems right now because we know they ARE working on these issues and want this puppy to succeed as much as we do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 12:16 pm 

/doh

You people will never be happy until Cyan is shut down, will you?

This is not about how the game runs. This is about having respect for a company that came back from the brink, and is working overtime to give you new stuff on a regular basis, pretty much for free! Yeah, Cyan makes squat on this. They probably won't make squat on this until the fiscal new year, when Uru's popularity is proven to be an asset. or it could be a failure and gametap drops them.

Will you be happy then? With all the games available on gametap you have to waste your time throwing a tissy on forums and getting everyone else upset?

I thought most of us were above such childish delusions of grandeur. Guess I was wrong.

---------------------
Mod note: I'm leaving this post intact since it's been part of the discussion for so long... But keep in mind that the people who are disappointed because they missed out on what was "promised" have a right to be disappointed just as much as others have a right to support Cyan "at all costs." None of you have the "right" to insult each other here because you disagree. Words like "childish" and "tissy" aren't helpful. Let's keep it MUCH more civil. RV

"Live together, die alone." - Jack Sheppard, LOST
KI# 00265224
Humble member of the Unbound Hearts of D'ni

http://vormaen.deviantart.com/
For scraps by me.

Last edited by Vormaen on Fri May 25, 2007 11:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 12:26 pm 

Vormaen wrote:
/doh

You people will never be happy until Cyan is shut down, will you?

This is not about how the game runs. This is about having respect for a company that came back from the brink, and is working overtime to give you new stuff on a regular basis, pretty much for free! Yeah, Cyan makes squat on this. They probably won't make squat on this until the fiscal new year, when Uru's popularity is proven to be an asset. or it could be a failure and gametap drops them.

Will you be happy then? With all the games available on gametap you have to waste your time throwing a tissy on forums and getting everyone else upset?

I thought most of us were above such childish delusions of grandeur. Guess I was wrong.

Um Vormaen, did you actually read the majority of the posts in this thread? Most were supportive of Cyan and understand what is going on. Beside, THIS particular thread isn't about Cyan and their recovery, that is a different story entirely, this thread is about a PAYING customer (you know, of those people HELPING Cyan return from the brink) complaining about severe server problems that kept them from enjoying the product they are paying for. Even you can admit there are issues, but we do know Cyan is working those issues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 12:35 pm 

Delusions of grandeur? Surely not!

Since this is an OOC forum, I'm just going to say what's on my OOC mind. I don't blame Cyan in the least for last night's problems.

GameTap is hosting this PARTICULAR game, they are promoting it heavily, they should be providing the service they advertise. Give Cyan the resources they need.

Seriously, it is an insult to suggest "why don't you play one of GameTap's other games" when the reason a good number of us joined GameTap is for URU. And to say that to anyone here judgemental, snide, and sarcastic to boot.

Yes, I'm steamed here. It is not wrong to express frustration at the total inability to even access the game during a heavily advertised meet and greet.

And why should any ones motivation be mocked? You know why I wanted to be there, and first camped out at BB SEVEN HOURS before the meet and greet? I have a child with "special needs" who was motivated to read, write and communicate in an age- appropriate manner thanks to the introduction of the Myst franchise to his world three years ago. My child is now excelling at school, and has reached out and made friends in 3-D life, thanks to Rand's creation. I wanted to thank Rand. I showed up SEVEN HOURS EARLY to do so, got booted off 2 1/2 hours prior to the meet and greet, and could not get back on.

This disappointment does not make me disloyal to Cyan.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next