It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:14 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 12:59 am 
Obduction Backer

Look folks...

The people who feel like Cyan and GameTap let them down by not truly being able to offer what was promised have a valid right to their opinions.

Those of you who want to cut Cyan some slack in the midst of a tight budget and a lean staff also have a valid right to your opinions.

None of you have the right to berate one another in a juvenile fashion for having the "wrong" opinion. (It also doesn't help when some of you berate - in a juvenile fashion - others for acting juvenile.)

:shock:

Now, the Ryan's ( :) ) have graciously offered an apology to the whole community and a glimpse of what they have been doing and are doing to address the apparent problems. I appreciate them doing this. I was one of the folks left out of the game for several hours while the servers trembled under the load - and I was quite disappointed as well.

I'm one of the folks that wants to cut Cyan some slack... but I also pay for a product that I assume should work -- especially when special events are advertised for all to attend.

I sent a friendly message to GameTap encouraging them to work with Cyan to extend their server capacity for next month's episode. I could send Cyan a letter, but I'm quite sure that they already know what they need to do.

So, you're all partially right. And you're all a little bit wrong. It's not an all or nothing situation here.

Please, feel free to discuss. But it's time to stop insulting each other. State your point and back up your opinion with evidence. Then step back.

We don't like to lock threads... (Contrary to what some may believe!)

:wink:

Last edited by Reverend Vader on Sun May 27, 2007 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 1:04 am 

The title of this topic says it all. Go ahead read the title again...

This would've been better off as a personal letter to the company, not as yet another in a long line of inflammatory posts that ultimately boil down to one person's unbendable opinion. IMHO it should've been locked long ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 1:13 am 

Reverend Vader,

This thread has transformed from the voicing of frustration about the inability to access the Cavern during the Scars episode & the Rand Meet & Greet, to the scolding and name calling of those who voiced their frustrations.

I personally feel as if I've been told I :

Have blasted disrespected Cyan, as a company, as well as individuals working at Cyan (I didn;t)

Don't appreciate all the hard work that went into Uru from its inception, therefore I have no right to say ANYTHING other than how happy I am to be here (I am happy to be here)

Am a spoiled child who just doesn't deserve to be a member of the "gathered" (downright judgemental and nasty, and not at all welcoming to a relative newbie to Uru).

I mean, darnit, I bought an Intel Mac so I could FINALLY play Uru. Doesn't that count for something?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 1:45 am 

Dr Britcom Mom wrote:
...This thread has transformed from the voicing of frustration about the inability to access the Cavern during the Scars episode & the Rand Meet & Greet, to the scolding and name calling of those who voiced their frustrations.

At every thread of criticism or complaint, a virtual cavalry of fans gallops to the defense of Cyan's good name. Some state facts. Most, however, choose to disparage the basis of the complaints and, directly or by inference, to belittle those who voice them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 2:00 am 
Obduction Backer

[deleted]

Reverend Vader wrote:
The people who feel like Cyan and GameTap let them down by not truly being able to offer what was promised have a valid right to their opinions.

Those of you who want to cut Cyan some slack in the midst of a tight budget and a lean staff also have a valid right to your opinions.

I agree with your post 100%, But... what about those of us who share both those opinions?

And, to address another of your comments, I think that this thread has served it's purpose. I called for an apology, a (mostly) healthy discussion took place, and I got my apology. The only thing left for it, it seems, is for people to stumble in and insult me and others who voiced their concerns.

So unless anyone else at Cyan wants to make my day (kidding!), it is my opinion that you should lock this thread.

_______

Edited by ireen @ May 27, 11:58 CEDT

Last edited by The Noble Robot on Sun May 27, 2007 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 8:37 am 
Obduction Backer

As some wiseman said "Speaking is silver but silence is golden"

____
Mod note: Edited out tidbit referring to now missing context. ireen @ May 27, 12:03 CEDT

Last edited by JanB on Sun May 27, 2007 10:04 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 8:38 am 

Agreed :) Silence is golden :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 10:19 am 
Former MystOnline Moderator

Hey folks, I heavily edited this thread so it can stay open for discussion, as Rev Vader said, we don't want to lock threads. Unfortunately, this one is getting close to it.

Please remember not to settle scores in public, take it to private messaging and/or report.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and sometimes nothing can be done than just agree to disagree. Please try to be constructive and talk about the game and your opinions about it instead of attacking or belittling each other. If you don't like the discussion, yeah, ignoring or silence is also an option.;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 7:47 pm 

I agree that everyone has a right to their own opinion and no one has the right to belittle anyone who's opinion does not agree with their own.
That being said, I would like to propose a possible solution to the problem.

GD, next time you do a stress test, I offer my computer and time! :D
I have the uncanny ability to make electronic thingies quit working or break just by my mere peresence. :lol:
So me just being there will really stress the servers or whatever else you happen to be testing. :twisted:

Last edited by Lynnutte on Mon May 28, 2007 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 11:16 pm 

Mostly, i just wanted to say, i'm a little shocked and disappointed, but not really surprised.

it is a little shocking how some people act here as compared to the cavern.

disappointing that a game that is available to be played online from all over the world, and had an initial player base and fan base larger than most of the other online games that i play, still does not have the hardware to back it up.

not really surprising .....

...people tend to be less friendly or understanding when there is no direct interaction with others and they are left to say what is on their minds without reflecting on it first.

...this game had such a short beta period (3 months) that they have a "rehearsal server" to continue the testing that should likely have been done prior to release.

...no matter what kind of product is put on the market, even if it's consumers are fully aware of it's shortcomings, someone will always complain and demand apologies.

do not get me wrong. complaints are how makers of products figure out how to make them better, thus the "Support" section of this site.

the biggest disappointment to me here though, is the amount of picking apart and belittling of the very thing that everyone here claims to love so much.

*** Side note to Moderators*** would it be possible to set aside a section in the forums called "Complaints" and place all of this drivel there?
That would allow the "General Discussion" section to be about the game.

KI#283599

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 1:20 am 
Obduction Backer

Lynnutte wrote:
GD, next time you do a stress test, I offer my computer and time! :D

How about: Next time you do a stress test, announce it as a "stress test" :lol:

Seriously though, as they said in this thread, Cyan didn't expect it to be a stress test. That was a mistake in judgment, and they apologized for it.

They learned something from it, too. And that's a good sign for next month/episode. I can't wait!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 1:36 pm 

The Folks at Cyan continue to impress me greatly for thier kindess, courtesy and openness. And I am also impressed by the sincerity and forthrightness of the entire player community. Truly MOUL and this rebirth is a remarkable undertaking to be in the presence of. :)

"We Build Worlds"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 3:20 pm 

An alternate suggestion for voicing opinions:

If this were my forum, I'd open two new threads, "Gripes & Complaints" and "Cudos & Appreciation" (or something similar), with the following rule: Posting is allowed, *replies* are not, except by Cyan/GT employees or moderators. No one else would be allowed to "reply" to another person's post. Period. Of course, all posts would have to fit the normal criteria for the individual thread, with flaming and general posting rules applied, moderators doing their thing. This way, everyone gets to be heard, without fear of reprisal or flaming.

Just a thought ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 3:30 pm 
Former MystOnline Moderator

As this thread appears to be veering off topic yet again, and it's purpose has apparently been served, I'm going to close it now.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7