It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:02 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Can we change the plot?
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 5:07 pm 

I was thinking if there is anything explorers can do that can influence Wheely's fate. If so, I think we need more clues.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 5:13 pm 

The idea of the Friendship symbol gathering in the city is nice, I think we should try that. I might also get a group of explorers to document what's happened so far and take a look at clues all around the city

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 6:12 pm 

I hope you guys are right that there is something explorers can do to make this story line advance.
Because it feels like we are just watching some super slow soap opera unfold.
If it was any slower my avatar would be growing moss on his face.
They could of put everything we have seen this week into a one night event.
Give us a chance to DO SOMETHING other than fighting to get into the city to see people standing around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 6:20 pm 
Obduction Backer

Actually, I think the pacing on this episode has been spot on.

But it does seem like explorers have been largely a passive influence on this particular story arc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 6:36 pm 

Well, the explorers DID come up with the idea to have Wheely draw a symbol for the Bahro. :mrgreen: And that seems to have produced some kind of result...

Sosiqui in Cavern

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 6:52 pm 

While the story is a great idea and it works like realtime, I have to say it's rather boring and tedious just doing nothing and I can't even get into the City, but then, why should I try if we just see people standing around? The drama and emotional aspects of the search for Wheely isn't even as good as it should be because we have 90% of all explorers saying things like "I'm gonna eat a banana!" right when Willow says "Dad, I think I'm about to die."... the game really needs a function to let the developers either silence all explorer chat or just see what they're typing in advance before they allow it to be sent, during story developments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 8:29 pm 
Obduction Backer

I think we're finding that explorers' actions can affect the plot, very much, just not instantly. The cyantists are definitely responding to the community, it just takes time, since they actually have to develop and test stuff--if they're going to do more than talk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 9:24 pm 
Obduction Backer

Examples, vidroth?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 9:37 pm 

Actually it's been rather exciting reading everything, (I've been reading it all very nicely laid out at Uru Obsession's forum in "Cavern Today".) but it feels a bit more like a text adventure at the moment. :D Like those old Choose Your Own Adventure Books. Only, the choices aren't so clear and there doesn't seem to be much anyone can do to help on their own. It does make fun reading, but there isn't much point in actually going in the game right now, really, except to grab Relto pages and such. You can actually read and follow along without ever setting foot in the cavern. It's almost as if this whole thing could be played out on a forum without actually having a physical game at all. :shock: Hmmm.... Er, anyway, yeah, we need to know what to do to help individually. Yeah.

:D
-Bonnie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 9:37 pm 

Please don't turn this into a rant and complain thread. It was not my original idea when I posted this question. I was just asking a little nudge out of obsession because I'm loving it and I'm really immersed in the story.

By the way, you can ignore everyone in the age if you want if you don't want to hear random chat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 9:45 pm 
Obduction Backer

Explorers have tried forming several symbols in the city. And I remain unconvinced that this is a useless task. But we've been unable to attract the attention of the Bahro to see the symbols.

Tried thus far:
* Spiral (for Yeesha)
* Friendship (for Bahro)

We've tried shouting the D'ni word for help (Tayrah) as well.

Right now we cannot tell if our actions are influencing the situation. Some explorers have taken back their Bahro poles in protest of the Bahros' seeming inaction. Maybe that is hurting our chances. Maybe our calls for help are reaching the Bahro ears and they are listening but they are limited in what they can do.

We don't know, and we may not get the answers about just how much, or how little, we've accomplished for a long time.

I am of the mindset that we should keep thinking, and keep trying ideas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 9:58 pm 

If the Bahro are interpreting the symbols we're using, perhaps we should try sign language if we ever meet up with them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:01 pm 

Saint Kip wrote:
I hope you guys are right that there is something explorers can do to make this story line advance.
Because it feels like we are just watching some super slow soap opera unfold.
If it was any slower my avatar would be growing moss on his face.
They could of put everything we have seen this week into a one night event.
Give us a chance to DO SOMETHING other than fighting to get into the city to see people standing around.

Keep in mind this game is designed to reflect real life. It occurs in real-time. Don't expect massive events and changes every time you log on. If Cyan did that, we would all get bored with it real fast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:06 pm 
Obduction Backer

It's actually a rather good point that, as helpless and limited as we may seem in our actions, the Bahro poles are actually quite a big trump card. Theoretically, if every explorer were to take back the poles, we could re-imprison every Bahro! :shock:

Perhaps they are more aware of this wrinkle in the power relationship than we are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:24 pm 

I find this idea fascinating as well. The quote on the synopsis area of this site that says "For the first time, you are the storyteller. What happens next is up to you." has been rattling around in my head for ages.

Much of our interaction does seem passive, and that we are just watching a scripted story unfold. But when the suggestion of drawing a Bahro symbol was made and actually seemed to be effective, I was totally amazed and excited by the idea that perhaps we can influence the story.

It did make me squirm a little as once again I tried to reconcile how the precognition afforded us by Myst 5 could possibly fit into the story of Uru (that symbol was discovered during events intended to happen in the future of where we are now and was only discovered because of the failure of the original uru live and the following attempt to recover investments by releasing Myst 5), but hey story interaction is story interaction :D

I wonder if they were hoping that a player would make that suggestion or if they really just improvised it in (especially considering the whole, we shouldn't really know about that yet thing).