It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:20 pm

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:31 am 
Obduction Backer

I really like movies like 28 days Later, or even I AM LEGEND (which suktbad) because I like the idea of being all alone in a world fallen apart. I sort of wish I had a big ruined D'ni to make my little hide-e-hole club house. I think with out the limitations of an avatar and the avatars or others the "Main Cavern" area could have been one completely rendered space.

What do you think? If URU had been developed as a single player experience how would it have been different? Would it have been better if Cyan stuck to the pretended environments? Or has graphic cards gotten good and cheap enough to make it a good single player with realtime graphics.

What kind of game could it have been?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:36 am 

Play the boxed games then!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:51 pm 
Obduction Backer

Solitude gets old, faster than you do. :wink:

Like many, I had D'ni to myself once upon a time. I prefer having company. But you can still do it alone. See Ged_UK's reply.

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:06 pm 
Obduction Backer

Or... you could always create a new neighborhood, and then make it private. That way you could have your own private instance of the city. Of course, the Watcher's Pub is still public, and you would only have one of the public gardens.

Ki #782729

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:38 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: First trailer to the right, and straight down till morning.
Yeah, when I first came to the cavern, I was alone. The whole time I was there, it felt wrong. I much prefer a crowded cavern. If it didn't mean more lag, I'd like more people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:39 pm 

Read "The Stand"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:43 pm 

I love the solitude, too. I look really up close at details, and revel in distant vistas. The stand-alone PC games are wonderful, for the most part, although I'm very tired of point-and-click variety. Here, in MOUL, I often go into my own instance of the City and often find things I've never seen before.

That said, there's nothing, ever, like a great party or gathering in this game. I just wish I had a better computer set-up so I wouldn't lag so darn much.

This game can be enjoyed many ways, as the intro says..."Alone or with a helluva lotta geeks!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:44 pm 
Obduction Backer

I think it would have been a lot like Myst V and RealMyst. A 3-D, lightly-interactive world with clever puzzles and no avatar, Relto, or wardrobe.

I think a few of the puzzles would have been more elegant; there are some (especially in Gahreesen and Teledahn) that look like they were conceived for 4 or 5 players, but during development were changed to work with 1--I don't know that to be the case, it's just how they feel to me.

Since I think the customizable avatars are the best thing that ever happened to the series, I think it would have been tragic to not have them; certainly I replayed Uru:CC way more often than I replayed the other Myst games. And I spent all of Myst V wishing that I was there--namely the character I learned to associate with in Uru--instead of just the "faceless protagonist" of the other games. I hit F1 many, many times in Myst V, expecting to drop out to 3rd person view, and saying "d'oh!".

VidRoth -- KI#50637

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:53 am 

Quote:
I spent all of Myst V wishing that I was there--namely the character I learned to associate with in Uru--instead of just the "faceless protagonist" of the other games. I hit F1 many, many times in Myst V, expecting to drop out to 3rd person view, and saying "d'oh!".

You Too? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

URU - KI - Atrus 03668735, Katran 00982487,
URUb - KI - 00356281

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]