Do you want the option to be a bad/good guy in URU
Yes 20%  20%  [ 15 ]
No 43%  43%  [ 32 ]
BRING ME THE BLUE PAGES! 37%  37%  [ 28 ]
Total votes : 75
 Post subject: I want to be a villian
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:37 am 
Obduction Backer

What was MYST and Riven with out, Crazy, Greedy and Delusional? I mean Sirris, Achenar and Ghen(Gehn?). When I envisioned a Massively Multiplayer work based around the D'ni what really excited me was confounding all of you. And now I can't do that, I can't be a bad guy. Heck I can't even be a good guy. The closest I can get is to keep the Bahro Soul Pillars in my age and that doesn't even have any effect on the world. I don't know, maybe I just LOVE to complain. Sorry for trying to pikaxe your brain. I just need some sort of compass, some sort of up and some sort of down for my actions, my steps in any direction to have meaning. I hope that "destruction" that is "coming" is the destruction which we can take part in, that would be fun. Remember with out endings there can be no beginnings. With out destruction can there truly be creation. Pleasure needs pain.

LOVE YOU!

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:04 am 

"If you've done something right, people won't know if you have done anything at all." That is normally the way villains in Uru lore work. If you've been "bad" right... people won't know your "bad" at all. Until... its too late. Beware of your saviors.

Jarun 00217662

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:47 am 
Obduction Backer

While the idea of Yeesha become as evil as her two brothers (didn't one of them get redeemed or something) combined and getting away is interesting that's not what I am talking about. I mean if I am going to take part in this adventure I want my actions to mean something. If I wanted to interact with a world where my actions are meaningless... well I don't know what I would do. Either the DRC, The bahro (Bad/good) or Yeesha can be hiding villinous intentions. But again that's NOT what I am talking about, what I am talking about is giving me a reason to move up down left or right. What is the POINT of all this discovery. What is the end result? Is the end result just some predetermined outcome. Do I save the day by dropping pellets? That's not very fun. Even if we all drop pellets and it does turn out that is what saved the day it still wouldn't matter to me because pellet making is not itself an entertaining thing to do.

I just don't find URU interactive in a meaningful way. It's going into a shop where you can't buy anything.

I want to be a bad guy, I want to break things. Or hold them and own them and change them. Jalak doesn't GO anywhere. If Jalak was an age I could explore with all those energy cubes I might be happy. But probably not until what I build or why I am exploring or whatever means something.

Here are somethings MYST had that these games don't seem to have.

Moral choice.
Surealism.
Tree Houses.
Realism, somethign to ground everything.
Bookcentric.
Oh yeah, and MYSTERY. It's not mystery when there are no answers.

I want this game to succeed in a bad way. That's why I am complaining because I can't get any one I know to enjoy enjoy this game. Not even me. And I want to. Maybe that's the problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:31 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
I mean if I am going to take part in this adventure I want my actions to mean something. If I wanted to interact with a world where my actions are meaningless... well I don't know what I would do.

Graizur - You've nailed down the only real complaint I have about the way MOUL has unfolded. It's kind of a quandary when you think about it; we're accustomed to Myst adventures where we steer the action and unfold the story at our own pace. In fact, the story elements are the reward for our ingenuity. But now the story is happening whether we're there or not, and we're usually not... I've been there for two or three chapters of the story, and yes, it was pretty exciting every time. It sure beat reading about it later in a chat log. But all the same, I was only a spectator. I was powerless to participate, because the episode was already pre-scripted. The only way the crowds of explorers at these "happenings" contributed to the story was by bloating the chat logs with random comments, unanswered questions, etc. Nothing I could do would have mattered. And frustratingly, the one thing we CAN participate in consistently -- feeding the lake -- has also become something of a dead end, although I've continued my regular pellet drops.

But so help me, I love Uru! And I'll continue to link to the Cavern, socialize with other explorers, and add my contributions to The Cavern Today podcast and to the forums. Uru isn't perfect, but then neither are my friends and family members... and I love them anyway. There's nothing else like Uru.

Mowog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:12 pm 

Mowog wrote:
I was only a spectator. I was powerless to participate, because the episode was already pre-scripted.

Your actions and mine mean very little, it's true. We're just a couple of pixels in the great digital tapestry that is Uru. But get enough of those pixels to change colour in sync, and you get something noticeable.

I think that if enough explorers are united in the desire to do something significant, and act upon that desire as much as possible within the means at their disposal, then Cyan will run with it. There have been tastes of that even in Season 1, however small, and I'm optimistic that it will get better as time goes on.

So Graizur, if you want to be an evil overlord, just start recruiting henchmen. Who knows, one day you might get your own Secret Underground Lair Age. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:20 pm 
Obduction Backer

What a question. Of course I want to be a bad guy in Uru. We all know that bad guys have more fun....I mean real fun. :lol:
Or was it blondes.....?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:34 pm 

Quote:
So Graizur, if you want to be an evil overlord, just start recruiting henchmen. Who knows, one day you might get your own Secret Underground Lair Age.

That would be fun, actually. Get some organized crime going. Cause some trouble. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:02 pm 

Nice discussion :) Bring in the villains! :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:16 pm 
Obduction Backer

Interesting! :D I'm very curious to see how anybody can be "evil" in Uru. About the worst I can imagine is "annoying", and then people can just put you on Ignore. Let's see, violence is impossible, nothing can be stolen, neighborhoods can go private, people can delete invitations to their ages, people can tell where someone is and avoid them. It's hard for me to see how anybody could have any kind of intentionally negative impact without Cyan's complete cooperation, but I'm curious to see if you can figure out a way, Graizur. It's probably a lot easier to have a positive impact by doing something to enhance the experience for other explorers in the community, but, hey, knock yourself out! :wink:

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:29 pm 

Kerryth wrote:
It's hard for me to see how anybody could have any kind of intentionally negative impact without Cyan's complete cooperation, but I'm curious to see if you can figure out a way, Graizur.

A way exists, but it is hard, and you do need to have a number of supporters (or henchmen) to make it work, as Tesseract pointed out. Drop exploding pellets and drive down the lake score. It's a lot of work for a big team of people, but it is a way of doing "evil". Of course, others might rally to the "good" side in response and work to negate your efforts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:25 pm 
Obduction Backer

No evil person thinks of himself as evil, generally speaking. But I agree with the general desire to have some impact on world of the game, in some way.

It's odd to look at a game, whose premise revolves almost entirely around archeology, in which the state of the environment is so static.

I suppose, ooh... Remember the vigils and whatnot to "summon" Yeesha? We could start a cult-esque group dedicated to calling the bad bahro back to the cavern.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:51 pm 
Obduction Backer

I remember a while ago I was thinking of joining the ADM; not because I believed anything they said, but because it was something to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:23 pm 
Obduction Backer

Yeah I was disappointed with the ADM, they had a lot of potential but it kinda just went to pot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:56 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
With enough imagination, and time invested, it can be done, and done well.

Start with a likable character - warm, funny, intelligent (maybe even be a Greeter). Start a neighborhood that's fun to hang out in and organize events like parties and Pellet Challenge Runs, etc. Build your following, and then... using a rational and intelligent argument, convince them to do something that will undermine whomever you deem to be the "good" guys (DRC, Yeesha, explorers, etc.).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:01 am 

How do we know that Dropping the pellets is a "good" thing? How do we know it's not calling some greater "evil" on to us by doing so? Parhaps killing the allge in lake is the "good" thing. Just things to think about.