It is currently Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:31 am

All times are UTC

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Do you want the option to be a bad/good guy in URU
Yes 20%  20%  [ 15 ]
No 43%  43%  [ 32 ]
BRING ME THE BLUE PAGES! 37%  37%  [ 28 ]
Total votes : 75
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:12 pm 

I'll have to agree with Ian Atrus here.
It is still a little early, from the Explorer perspective at least, to be assigning tags like "good" or "evil" to anything.
In any situation, either side can be the villain. We really can't tell until we understand the intent of any given party in any given conflict.
How many of history's villains would have been considered heroes had the outcome been different.

I think you hit your intent most squarely on the head with the "blue pages" entry in the poll. The search pages in Myst were as much about the seduction of the stranger further down a path of deception leading to betrayal. It be argued that it is not really until Myst IV that we are given any data about who is truly the villain of the Myst story, if even then.

If a player is ready to invest sufficient time and effort to develop and deliver a parallel storyline where their Explorer is ultimately going to betray those that follow to his or her own interests, does it really matter if there is an alignment with Yeesha, DRC, Watson, Phend, Engberg, Sharper, Cate or the various Guilds, hoods or other groups?

Is there a goal that an Explorer wants or needs furthered? Is that Explorer willing to resort to politics and subterfuge to achieve the results? Even possibly lie to others, maybe not outright, but in small ways to encourage participatory behavior. And maybe it's not outright betrayal, but a desire to exploit others "for their own good."

Mechanically, there isn't anything in MOUL that is going to track the pilgrims progress towards any potential outcome. Even the pillars and donuts and roses and pages and books are more trophies than milestones.
But that may be something that frees a player from having to make inconsistent choices about how they pursue their program of whatever qualifies as villainy.
The villain in the real world is not always the guy with the black cape and long mustache tying the damsel to the tracks. There are many choices that a player can make about what they believe in the story. Follow Yeesha and try to hold off or defeat the Bahro who want what she has. Try to appease the Bahro by helping them get whatever it is they want from her. Try to get Cate back, with her funding and continue the restoration her way. Work with the remaining DRC to do something different.
Sure, we are limited by what we can do in the client, with the game mechanics.

This is the point where I ask the question: "How much do you want to be spoon fed?"
There will be players that want to be presented what may be a false dichotomy of "right" v "wrong" But I think more may be achieved by picking our own roads. But then, I don't know how much I'm even willing to invest in doing something that may just lead off into the deep dark corner of a dead end of an unplayable storyline.
But I won't fault anyone for trying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:23 am 

You all seem to be assuming that evil is not present in the cavern even now, simply because you have not detected it or because you can not imagine how it might be accomplished.

Such delightful hubris!

Perhaps you should look to the shadows ....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:36 am 

Graizur wrote:
What I am surprised by are the 20 or so people who don't want to be good, don't want to be bad and ESPECIALLY do not want a choice. I would like to know what's on their minds. Why would any one want to not have a choice?

I suppose it depends on the nature of that decision and how it manifests itself in the game, Graziur.

I think it would be more interesting to see a realistic portrayal of these things rather than some kind of forced division.

~Joey Crumpfeld

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 3:55 am 

relyimahnahvah wrote:
Such delightful hubris!

Yeah, Hubris is a charming lass. You know her? Nemesis wasn't nearly so much fun.

Quote:
Perhaps you should look to the shadows ....

Hmm? Oh, that's just Ninja Master B.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:37 pm 

A few of us have engaged in street theatre in URU -- bad guys included. These were planned out in advance and did not directly affect the Cyan-based story. Those in The Institution's Bevin played out a murder story last summer, with frightened witnesses seeking safety in Myss Terrie's bevin, a hitman sent from "the old country" to take out the villain in the piece. No obvious violence or bloodshed. All done with the tools at hand.

Some of us are working on similar plot devices, and nothing prevents others from doing the same.

Inanna

To let understanding stop at what cannot be understood is a high attainment.
Those who cannot do it will be destroyed on the lathe of heaven.

Chuang Tse

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4