It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:49 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:06 am 

I can remember last fall, when I was very excited about the guilds, having a conversation with a "complainer" here on the forums about what he thought needed changed and trying to encourage him to join in the conversation in the guilds to help and solve some of the problems he saw with the game. Needless to say, his immediate response was "it is not my job to fix the game! "

INDEED!!!! He was correct. But like many of you, I thought if I offered helpful suggestions on how he could resolve his issues, he may relax and enjoy it a little more. I forgot that, that was not my job either! And no matter what suggestions I made- they were not what he wanted to hear!

Many of these "complaining" discussions are repeated week to week, (almost verbatim), by various forum members and after a while become tedious and take enjoyment out of the game for those of us who do enjoy reading the forums as well as visiting the cavern. It really just boils down to how interested you are in continuing these discussions, repeatedly, or just moving on to reading the next post.

Sometimes it is just fun to verbally spar- so just enjoy it- or stick around for next week because you will have another turn if you wait just a few days....

MORE is never going to please everyone, (it is special in it's own way), and suggesting that tolerance is mandated is not realistic. It really falls to you to decide how much or little you want to contribute both in and out of the cavern....

"Always consider the Whole, Atrus. Always look at the interrelatedness of things and remember the 'whole' of one thing is always just a part of something else, something larger." wisely spoken by Anna- "The Book of Atrus"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:11 am 

Jenine wrote:
(it is special in it's own way)

Isn't that....

:shock:

No, no I won't say it. I can't say it. I'll get banned. And then some mentally handicapped kid will read it and cry and I'll feel terrible.

LALALALALALA... *sews mouth shut and tries to hold laughter*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:21 am 

See, open mouth- insert foot! :) I'm going back into my hole...... (I'll dig my own cavern, thank you)

"Always consider the Whole, Atrus. Always look at the interrelatedness of things and remember the 'whole' of one thing is always just a part of something else, something larger." wisely spoken by Anna- "The Book of Atrus"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:49 am 

I would be nice if some people around here were less like a dog with a bone... no matter what is said, they hold fast to their own ideas and keep pounding them in with a sledgehammer. This applies to negatoes and positoes alike... and even the in-betweenoes are no better... if there was a little bit less of that, we could all happily move on and find a nice NEW subject to b... , er, talk, yes, talk about :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:12 am 

Sophia wrote:
I would be nice if some people around here were less like a dog with a bone... no matter what is said, they hold fast to their own ideas and keep pounding them in with a sledgehammer. This applies to negatoes and positoes alike...

What's this about potatoes?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:42 am 

Boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew.

I don't mind criticism. URU isn't perfect, and though I try to be positive, I realize URU has its flaws. However, there a few things that are extremely hard to take:

1. There are those that outright say that the game sucks, and they ask what the point is.

2. There are those that have their own idea of how things should be, and they leverage
their position as a paid customer & threaten retribution if changes aren't made.

3. There are those enjoy speculating how long it will take for this project to croak.

4. There are those that say "let it die already"

5. There are those that try to convince everyone to give up, and let this be a forum
for legitimate complaining.

I don't want to search for threads for those examples, but I'm sure I could find them. I have no problems with valid critics, but a lot of the most militant complainers have no patience or tolerance for optimism. There are those that don't see any good in the game, and resent its supporters, unless the game is changed to fit their specifications. A lot of people here are polite and friendly, but some people are downright rude. I've found it easier at times to just keep my distance & stop by only for news.

I have nothing against MacNBC. :p

DP

Gathered Restorers Awaiting To Explore For URU Lives

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:50 am 

Jenine wrote:
See, open mouth- insert foot! :) I'm going back into my hole...... (I'll dig my own cavern, thank you)

It wasn't so much what you said; it was what I was thinking when I read it... :oops: :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:23 am 
Obduction Backer

Whilyam, your initiating message was good, and your follow ups have been very consistent. You have an excellent lesson going here. [I know you didn't have me in mind on any of these issues, but it would be nice if you did.]
Witchypoo2
Whilyam has made an excellent point here and I sincerely hope others will see that, too.

Shorahmin
It is something more insidious and damaging. It's the craving to always have the last word.

RoTahgahm
"The Uru community sure is great!"... but it shouldn't be a prerequisite for talking about its faults... People point out faults because they want Uru to become better.

Calam
HOWEVER, constructive criticism is a totally different matter.
Leonor
Calling them complainers implies negativity.
The Noble Robot
The problem is... when they try to put qualifiers on dissent, as to say that "complaining" can only occur under certain guidelines, or else it's just petty whining.

And finally, McB3 says:
I did not think i would ever hear such wisdom on this forum, as Kero lays out:
Kero
Then he spent the remainder of the course showing us how to separate our Ego from our work. That no matter how much blood, sweat, and tears we poured into a project there would always be someone who didn't like it - for whatever reason.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6