It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:59 am

All times are UTC

When MORE returns, will you be just an explorer?
Yes 31%  31%  [ 43 ]
No 34%  34%  [ 47 ]
Maybe 35%  35%  [ 49 ]
Total votes : 139
 Post subject: Explorer vs Builder
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:46 pm 

With all of the excitement surrounding the possibility of Myst Online returning as MORE, there's been a lot of discussion about age creation,shard hosting, etc. Of course, the ideas and realities of fan-created ages are nothing new. But, I wonder, how many people will participate as just players/explorers with no interest in creating ages or hosting?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:44 pm 

I voted for yes, I plan on being just an explorer, but I think I should have voted for maybe. I'd have no problem sending ideas to those with the want and ability to bring them to (virtual) life. And if there's ever a toolset that programing illiterates, like myself, could learn to use . . . I might be persuaded to give it a shot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:14 pm 

Peniel wrote:
I voted for yes, I plan on being just an explorer, but I think I should have voted for maybe. I'd have no problem sending ideas to those with the want and ability to bring them to (virtual) life. And if there's ever a toolset that programing illiterates, like myself, could learn to use . . . I might be persuaded to give it a shot.

I'm the same. I know how to program in BASIC (from the BBC machines and the Acorn Electron) but that's it.

However, I've got a pretty fiendish mind and could easily design puzzles and games or write journals for ages. For example, we could do with having some journals in the Bevin classrooms with How-to's & FAQ's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:26 pm 

I voted yes but due to I don't have the time to learn the packages that help you build ages.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:32 pm 

definitely not ...

I hope to be a part of the Guild of Maintainers and help to bring meaningful and beautiful ages that fan have created to an approval state and hopefully, eventually join the Guild of Writers to help expand the Uruverse with a few of my own recipes that have been cooking for a while.

Exploring is my favorite part of URU. it is fascinating to unravel the logic of another mind.

I hope to see many Fan created ages that have a balance of focus between the beauty and the mystery.

Hurray for MORE!!!

KI#283599

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:48 pm 

The topic seems at odds with the content of the post. If it's purely from a standpoint of whether I'll be a writer or not, like the topic suggests, then I'd not know. But then the post suggests that anyone that does something like hosting a shard would be doing more than being an average explorer and they should include themselves in with the age builders. If this is the case, you should expand the poll to, perhaps, "WHAT would you do?" as there's many, many more ends that need to be served.

Writers, maintainers, greeters, messengers, cartographers (you guys still out there?), shard-hosters, advertisers/bloggers, event organizers, and more that I can't think of.

All of these people will be doing more than logging in, walking around, doing puzzles and chatting. MORE can't get enough support, provided we keep it organized.

So, to your seemingly-dual questions, will I be a builder/writer? I don't know, I have a lot to do and I'm not sure I can make a committment to a project. We'll see. But will I do something beyond just playing? YES.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:47 pm 

There is more than exploring and building, such as messenging, greeting, linquisting and archiving (I'm sure I forget some)... most of us have at least some involvement in all of that, or at least an active interest. Who knows there might be a Guild of Roleplayers or Guild of Lake Lighters or something... I would say there is place for everybody :)

Oh Eschaton, you said it already in the post above mine :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:56 pm 

I voted no.

I will be making ages with the GoW

KI#46415
KI#80658

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:22 pm 

I voted yes, simply because I'm technically challendged when it comes to being artistic and creative :lol: but I'd be willing to offer suggestions and such if asked or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:26 pm 
Obduction Backer

I voted for explorer, because my tech skills are so limited. However....I am a good grunt and can do as I am told, and would love to help to be a builder.....so.....anyone need someone to do footwork, sign me up as a builder!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:30 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
No, I will not be "just an explorer" and I doubt many will be. To elaborate on what Eschaton & Sophia said, there's a lot to do that's not technical or has much to do with writing the ages. If you divide us up between Builders and "just" Explorers, and define Builders as anyone who contributes something, no matter how miniscule, then I don't believe we'll have many "just" Explorers in the beginning.

We are all builders and we're building MORE. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:32 pm 

I voted yes, but with a qualifier. I'll be exploring and helping out. Saying to people in game, got any questions? Doing my usual thing for passing on the favour of helping out people. :)

Jane said she thought it so nice that I was the first person she'd really talked to in the game of Uru, and that the 2nd sentence I typed in was "got any questions?" Of course she had tons, and we've been 'friends' since. :)

So, even if you can't build, create or do technical stuff, you can help out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:37 pm 

I'm here to play and be surprised, so I'll just be an explorer. I'll help the Maintainers test if they need the help -- but I'd really rather not test "raw" first-draft Ages.

I hope Cyan or a knowledgeable D'ni developer or two can OK new concepts and give the Writer the go-ahead to build, then OK beta Ages, then involve the community with testing and finishing. I'm sure the Writers have a handle on the development and production process, so I'll back out of that discussion. As I said, I'll be happy to test Ages just before they go live.

My stance is wait-and-see. I'll plunk down some money to help us get a good running start, then we'll see if we have what it takes.

Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:11 pm 
Obduction Backer

I voted no, because I plan on participating in at least two ways. First, I will be setting up a shard, most likely it will host the D'ni Zoological Society Bevin. Second, I will be working with the others at the DZS in whatever capacity that we are needed. In our discussions so far, we have discussed offering our services to the GoW, or, if the guild system is going to be flexible enough, becoming our own guild (and renaming ourselves).

Ki #782729

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:20 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: Hanging around with mermaids. And still looking for the elusive Funky Bahro.
I voted maybe. I would love to build... something. At the moment, I've only got a few vague ideas, and no idea how to bring them to life, but even those vague ideas are waiting to jump out.

KI numbers:
TOOO 24657
Magical Mystery TOOO 643784
Institution TOOO 816645
Karaoke TOOO 816776

~and featuring~

Murinna (the mermaid) 2484723
Mallina (the other mermaid) 3015052

Second Life: TOOO Fall