It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:42 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:00 am 

Do you think that Cyan Worlds will be making official content for MORE like they did in MOUL?
And do you think they will mark the fan-made ages with a recognizable stamp like the DRC stamp?
:)
Oh and I've been away quite a while (much school work and now a holiday job) and I would just like to ask if there is a way to already begin creating ages or if we have to wait a bit?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:28 am 
Obduction Backer

FreeLanZer wrote:
Do you think that Cyan Worlds will be making official content for MORE like they did in MOUL?
And do you think they will mark the fan-made ages with a recognizable stamp like the DRC stamp?
Oh and I've been away quite a while (much school work and now a holiday job) and I would just like to ask if there is a way to already begin creating ages or if we have to wait a bit?

Cyan will not be making any new content for a while. MO:RE will be opening with minimal support and no intention of profit. Hence the low proposed subscription fee of $25 for 6 months.

Although Cyan did not support fan created works in the past, their announcement of the intent to release their "plugins" will allow the Guild of Writers (GoW) to perfect the shareware software tools they have now. Those tools have already been used to create more than a dozen ages which are playable with Uru:CC or Uru:ABM+PoTS. The Uru Library Manager (ULM) was developed as a convenient way to download these creations and install extra books in your Relto bookshelves.

Links for downloading ULM and the various shareware tools can be found in the GoW Wiki pages. Those pages also contain tutorials and examples for creating your own ages.

David Tierce

This post inspected by: Maintainer #165
MOULa-Ki: 15763576
GEHN-Ki: 00022090
DI-Ki: 00145074

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:32 pm 

dtierce wrote:
FreeLanZer wrote:

Cyan will not be making any new content for a while. MO:RE will be opening with minimal support and no intention of profit. Hence the low proposed subscription fee of $25 for 6 months.

Although Cyan did not support fan created works in the past, their announcement of the intent to release their "plugins" will allow the Guild of Writers (GoW) to perfect the shareware software tools they have now. Those tools have already been used to create more than a dozen ages which are playable with Uru:CC or Uru:ABM+PoTS. The Uru Library Manager (ULM) was developed as a convenient way to download these creations and install extra books in your Relto bookshelves.

Links for downloading ULM and the various shareware tools can be found in the GoW Wiki pages. Those pages also contain tutorials and examples for creating your own ages.

David Tierce

Thank you so much mate for the info! :D
I thought it was $25 per month so that's why I was questioning official content but this is awesome news.. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:46 pm 

FYI - FreeLanZer - if you haven't already - click on the Myst Online URU Live logo at the top of this forum. It will take you to the page where they've posted the open letter about MO:RE and the Road Map. This should help you understand where Cyan is going with this "experiment". Note especially the last paragraph of the Road Map that starts "(pie-in-the-sky milestone)". :wink:

Kero - KI#33425
Tarma - KI#36702

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:52 am 

FreeLanZer wrote:

Yes, they willl make more contents after M.O.R.E. set-up is completed. The first thing that Cyan Worlds must do work out the bugs from the MOUL, reset up the MOUL, and get us back in the game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:34 am 

Not yet.
Perhaps.
Of course!

:D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:23 pm 
Obduction Backer

Christopher910 wrote:
The first thing that Cyan Worlds must do work out the bugs from the MOUL, reset up the MOUL, and get us back in the game.

I think that this we first get the game and after this the bug fixing begins. As the ages will be without technically new features, the small MORE team can concentrate on bug fixing of the existing code base, besides laying out new books to the new non-Cyan ages. But as the team is small, (anyone besides Chogon :?: ) the bug fixing will be slow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:32 pm 

There is Randy, not to be mistaken for Rand.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:39 pm 
Obduction Backer

LordAndy wrote:
Christopher910 wrote:
The first thing that Cyan Worlds must do work out the bugs from the MOUL, reset up the MOUL, and get us back in the game.

I think that this we first get the game and after this the bug fixing begins. As the ages will be without technically new features, the small MORE team can concentrate on bug fixing of the existing code base, besides laying out new books to the new non-Cyan ages. But as the team is small, (anyone besides Chogon :?: ) the bug fixing will be slow.
My expectation is that the bug-fixing will be done by fans as well. "No new (Cyan) content" probably applies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:41 pm 

Yeah, no new content unless the number of players grows.

I had some estimates posted on UO, should've been more clear at first that they wer *estimates* not actual numbers but they are probably not too far from the real numbers.

The bottom line is, that for about every 5500 - 7500 people who are playing MO:RE, Cyan will be able to assign one employee full-time to the game. 3d artists and programmers, especially top-notch ones like Cyan's, can easily have salaries above $60,000-70,000 per year. Add to this the cost of electricity, hardware, software, office supplies, coffee, furniture, health benefits, legal costs, real estate, water bills, etc, which amounts to tens of thousands, if not above $100,000, more per employee per year. Then add any cut that Gametap is taking, some amount of the income generated by MO:RE, a percentage which probably grows as the income level does.

Our currently active Uru fan community is probably about 9000 people. (There are also, of course, some casual fans out there who like Uru but don't register on the forums) This is why Cyan has two employees assigned to MO:RE right now. It's all they can assign and still have a good shot at breaking even financially given our niche userbase.

It's all about money. The only way Cyan will make more content for Uru is if the fanbase grows significantly from its lean condition.

Therefore we should try to attract a flow of new players through advertising and word of mouth and keep them there with a steady stream of *good* UCC and a friendly community atmosphere. As the number of MO:RE subscribers grows, Cyan will ramp up production and staff.

A handy chart to give you an estimate of what we're facing. Note that at a subscription rate of $4.16/month, $50/year, an awful lot of players are needed to fund content:

Subscribers Cyan staff Production per year
Current fanbase 2 employees None except maintenance and minor bug fixes
24,000 4 employees More bug fixes, some story development and a few Relto pages or clothing items
36,000 6 employees Bug fixes, steady story development, some goodies, one pod-sized world.
54,000 9 employees Story, more goodies, a world comparable to Eder Delin.
100.000 16 employees Story, Goodies, One age ported from Myst V or RealMyst,
One age the size of Minkata, one pod.
240,000 37 employees About as much content as MOUL Season One.
500,000 72 employees Continual story development, a big puzzle age each month or several little ones.

I've already promoted Uru to 5000 people. I'll do everything I can on my part - spend hundreds of dollars on an ad campaign to show Uru to 200,000 people, create multiple detailed worlds in 3ds max, promoting Uru on my web network which is getting over 12,000 visitors a month and rising...

If I expend everything I can spare to do this, I might, *might* be able to pull in enough new players to support one or two additional Cyan employees. But to make the game a runaway hit will require the fanbase to work together as a committed group.

Look at the Uru Advertising Commitee:
http://www.uruobsession.com/forum/index.php?act=ST&f=111&t=33636&s=175f159e48d43f039515ed2ef61f00e1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:10 am 

Mathew I would be very sure to make clear in your posts that those figures are your own personal estimates and have nothing official about them and in fact you dont have any way to know how accurate those estimates are at all. Such posting can confuse ppl a lot.

"We Build Worlds"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:24 am 

I am fairly sure there are quite a few players who would be willing to pay $25 every two months for access to the game if it meant being able to receive new content. I for one am willing to swap my WoW subscription with Uru ($15/month) without hesitation. I sincerely hope that this third run will be a very successful one for Cyan. Uru deserves it, the developers deserve it, and the players really do want it.

KI: 03390194

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:49 am 
Obduction Backer

Just a reminder on what Chogon said about the promotion for MORE:

Chogon wrote:
Promoting MORE is good. You just have to be careful about being a spammer or grabbing too much of the marketing wheel.

Ideas about promotion are very welcome, but let us leave the marketing to Cyan. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:52 am 

And we also need to remember that any publicity is factually accurate as to what is being offered.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:06 am 

matthornb wrote:
Yeah, no new content unless the number of players grows.

500,000 72 employees Continual story development, a big puzzle age each month or several little ones.

Last time I checked; about 3.5 years ago; Sony EQ was just under this for subscribers. They charged 3 times the fee but had 6 times the developers. Granted; they also had revenue from the sale of expansions at $28 each.