It is currently Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:26 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:54 am 
Obduction Backer

Ha! Myst for the iPhone... I guess Rand wasn't kidding after all :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:04 am 
Obduction Backer

Is it for JUST the iPhone or the iPod Touch too? (with Sprint's wannabe iPhone, I'd like to see it done and be able to play it, but don't feel like switching to AT&T just for iMyst).

The other thing I'd like to see: a patch for Riven that lets it work with a computer that has a newer version of Quicktime than 6.3 (Riven being the only game I've seen that's told me "your version of Quicktime is too new. Please consider downgrading or run in compatibility mode for Windows Server 2003"). Or better yet: realRiven (what was done for realMyst, only it's Riven instead).

And as for bug reporting, Bugzilla is pretty easy to use. But since basically what's going to happen right now is Cyan getting the main server back online, there's some time to think how bug tracking is going to be handled.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:09 am 

0fullmetal0 wrote:
Is it for JUST the iPhone or the iPod Touch too? (with Sprint's wannabe iPhone, I'd like to see it done and be able to play it, but don't feel like switching to AT&T just for iMyst).

Generally the only thing holding back the iTouch is the network-ability and location services, neither of which matter for a game like myst. Other than that (so far anyway) it can handle anything the iPhone can. Rumors were swirling at first that it was a less powerful device than the iPhone, but they turned out to be flat wrong. All the more graphically demanding apps so far are running just dandy on both devices.

If iMyst takes off, I'd LOVE to see Riven and Exile ported as well. Can you imagine having the original three in your pocket anywhere you go? So sweet....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:14 am 
Obduction Backer

Thanks Chogon - great info!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:16 am 
Obduction Backer

Thanks for sharing Chogon. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:16 am 
Obduction Backer

ResEngs - the GoG could take some of their roles, like the orientations and basic customer service that does not require GM tools. In fact, they did already in Prologue and MOUL.

Console games - make me cry because the last console I ever had was an Atari 2600. Let's hope in a PC porting, if the projects get through. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:52 am 

Thanks for the update, Chogon.

GoMa has starting planning for its New Year Party in the guild pub.

Re: Bug reporting. GoMa is in the process of setting up Bugzilla for the ULM ages. If anyone would like to help in that project, they'd be very welcome.

And I can confirm that apps for the iPhone also work on the iPod Touch, unless they use facitlities the Touch doesn't have (which I can't imagine would be the case for iMyst).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:15 am 
Obduction Backer

Thanks for the update!

For a while I've pondered whether or not to buy an iPod touch... With Myst coming to the iPod touch / iPhone I think I will. :P

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:35 am 

Chogon wrote:
iMyst:
This is a small project that probably a very few of you know about. We are porting Myst to the iPhone. Ok, before some of you start groaning, this is an outside funded project that is keeping a few developers employed... but it is really more than that. It is an interesting and fun project. This is also a very small team with three of us (which includes Derek, Rand (not Randy) and myself).

Whoo! I have mentioned many times, (to various family members) that Myst would work great on the iPhone/iPod Touch. It'd be like the DS game, but not so "garbagey" looking. (And no notepad, if you please. Classic Myst only. ;) ) Don't cut corners with it. The smallest capacity iPhone/iPod Touch is 8 gigs (7 gigs free space with the 2.0 update, 1 gig goes into the system.) so don't fear making it huge! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:09 pm 

I'm glad to see that Paypal will be payment method. I really disliked having to pay by a credit card just because I lived in Australia. On top of that, quiting the subscription I had was overly complicated (I had to have a long talk with someone over the Internet at a very displeasing time of day).

If I can pay without a credit card and if it's a simple process to cancel a subscription then I would get one in a second. I am sincerely glad to see that this game still has hope, however small it may be.

The path to success is long, but we are already walking it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:24 pm 
Obduction Backer

For what it's worth, there was a version of Myst several years ago that would run on a PocketPC. I know, I bought it - and my overall impression was "Meh." You really couldn't get the full benefit of the game unless you'd played the original and knew where the hot spots were; for example, the reset lever in the Myst Island clock tower puzzle was invisible. It was fun to have Myst in your pocket, but I don't remember actually finishing the game.

And I seem to recall that the publisher of that game, Mean Hamster Software, was later working on a pocket version of Riven. I don't know what ever came of that one. Does anyone else remember? Seems like a long time ago! If their Riven port was anything like their version of Myst, I probably didn't miss much.

I'll assume up front that the iPhone port of Myst would have to be better than the old PocketPC version. I don't have an iPhone ( /cry ), but I know the display is a heck of a lot brighter and clearer than my old PocketPC. Hopefully they'll optimize gameplay in this port... Again, the only real selling point of the PocketMyst game was that it put Myst in your pocket...

Mowog

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:07 pm 

Jarryd wrote:
I'd also like to suggest you make an additional tier for donations and offer in game shirts (or other items like realto pages) as rewards. Things that would be easy to create and involve minimal labor.

I am working on assumption here, but I am thinking modifying the existing game code on say the 5 guild shirts and creating an additional 12 - or more shirts (D'ni, MORE, holiday themed, etc.) that could be unlocked in game and worn by players as a token of their (ex: minimum $10) donation.

This gives incentive for those who are enthusiasts and are able to donate, and even gift, for these additional items. Also can justify keeping the entry level subscription fee low.

Eh... I'm leery of that sort of thing in game as it would undoubtedly lead to those who had the money essentially bragging that they're a bigger/better Uru fan because they got the snazzy t-shirt. What I would like to see is a more integrated store. Like MYST Wear, only let's have it on the front page of this site and maybe a tab on the subscription site. Let's have some customizable shirts where you could have the game take a picture of your avatar (or even just your favorite KI pic) and paste it on a t-shirt or other forms of merchandise. You'd still get money in, but you'd give someone something more substantial in the real world.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:08 pm 

Many thanks - really appreciate being kept in the picture! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:20 pm 

WOW !!!
Great to hear news.

On the Bug reporting: Seems a section created in the forums, would be an easy place for that.

Gotta love how many answer this thread so quickly. We be ready for MORE ferr sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:44 pm 

Which was it that was catching on fire? The iPhones? Or was that the iPods or something?

Could you see it? Play iMyst on your iPhone and it catches fire?

"Woah! That's one HOT game!"

heheheheheheheheheh

My Tutorials

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 11  Next