It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:59 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:31 pm 

andylegate wrote:
Which was it that was catching on fire? The iPhones? Or was that the iPods or something?

Could you see it? Play iMyst on your iPhone and it catches fire?

"Woah! That's one HOT game!"

heheheheheheheheheh

That was the iPod Nano, I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:06 pm 
Obduction Backer

I've just realised ... it will be the first time that you can actually link by placing your hand on the Linking Panel. :shock:
Soon the iPod/iPhone will be changed in a Linking Book. :P

* Has visions of Sirrus and Achenar imprisoned in the iPod :P *

@Mowog, I think that Myst wouldn't lose that much quality as it did in the PocketPC and DS ports, because I believe that the iPod Touch and iPhone have a larger resolution. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:17 pm 

/me rubs hands.......Can't wait, can't wait. :lol:

Re: the console games that are in the works - I really do hope you get funding for them but I also hope you have plans to port them to the PC, cause believe it or not, not everyone in the world owns a console or even wants one. :roll:

Course - with some top quality Cyan style adventure games finally being made for consoles - maybe I might finally have the excuse I've been looking for to indulge in the expense. hmmmmm 8) :lol:

Kero - KI#33425
Tarma - KI#36702

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:16 pm 
Obduction Backer

Thank you, Chogon! :D I've been chillin' and not expecting anything in particular, so your update was a very nice treat and, in my book, a LOT of news. As you can see, we do, as a community, support Cyan, so it's good to hear something about other things the company has in the works. It speaks to the health of the root of the tree that is D'ni. So, thank you!

I don't have an iPhone, and my iPod is something of an antique, but I'm sincerely delighted at the thought of putting Myst (maybe its sequels someday? I hope I hope) on the iPhone. That accounts for at least half a dozen people of my acquaintance to whom I will no longer have to explain Myst and Uru, heh. No amount of explaining can ever give them the music, anyway. :wink:

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:20 pm 

WhooHoo! Great news.

More power to your's and the team's fingers Chogon. May they be forever flexible. Keep up the advancement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:43 pm 
Obduction Backer

This is indeed good news to hear (and having been gone for a while, I heard it from the Lyst first, which is something of an oddity these days ;)). The MORE info is pretty much what I expected, but the other two tidbits are new and interesting. Regarding iMyst, I hope that the work put into this could at some point be used to build an OS X-native version of the game that will run on a modern, Leopard-equipped Mac (since Leopard has no Classic support, and Myst is WAY older than OS X). Obviously something for well down the line, but it'd be nice not to have to switch computers for a little bit of Myst action (inaction? ;)). Still, I'd probably pick up a copy to see how it plays, since unlike the DS and PocketPC versions in recent years, this one seems to be all in-house, so I'm not as concerned about the poor playability which seems to have plagued the other ports.

On the subject of other games, I'd love to see something new (and even better, a new IP) come out of Cyan's offices... hopefully someone will pick up one of those back-burner projects soon. If they're anything remotely adventure game-like, hopefully Telltale's recent successes with Sam & Max and SBCG4AP (and their new license to make games based on Wallace and Gromit) will help bolster the opinion of the genre in other publishers' eyes and increase the likelihood that other studios (not just - but ideally including - Cyan) will have similarly-genred games picked up for development.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:38 pm 

andylegate wrote:
Which was it that was catching on fire? The iPhones? Or was that the iPods or something?

Could you see it? Play iMyst on your iPhone and it catches fire?

"Woah! That's one HOT game!"

heheheheheheheheheh

Ok Andy, I'm putting you on time out for that joke. Shame on you! :lol:

In loving memory of James Oliver Rigney, 1948-2007.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:53 pm 

Thank you soooo much Chogon! I was starting to worry.

Chogon wrote:
a large epic multi-console game

OMGOMGOMG!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:24 pm 

Erik wrote:
I've just realised ... it will be the first time that you can actually link by placing your hand on the Linking Panel. :shock:

My laptop has a touch screen so I have been linking in MOUL by touching the link panel... quite an experience!

Sounds like goods news all-around.
Good luck with the upcoming project Chogon and thanks for the update.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:51 pm 
Obduction Backer

Actually touching the linking panel??? :shock:

It should be good, but I agree, no journal (and no camera either. This is the original Myst, before the "explorer" knew about the image recorder).

And Sudre, this is true, except now it's an instantaneous link, it's not a "touch the panel and wait for your avatar to finish the touch animation" type thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:20 pm 

Kero wrote:
/me rubs hands.......Can't wait, can't wait. :lol:

Re: the console games that are in the works - I really do hope you get funding for them but I also hope you have plans to port them to the PC, cause believe it or not, not everyone in the world owns a console or even wants one. :roll:

Course - with some top quality Cyan style adventure games finally being made for consoles - maybe I might finally have the excuse I've been looking for to indulge in the expense. hmmmmm 8) :lol:

That's not true... As long as they port it to the Gamecube or Xbox classic it's fine for me. :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:04 am 
Obduction Backer

Chogon wrote:
a large epic multi-console game

I can't wait to find out what this might be ... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:06 am 

Whilyam wrote:
Eh... I'm leery of that sort of thing in game as it would undoubtedly lead to those who had the money essentially bragging that they're a bigger/better Uru fan because they got the snazzy t-shirt. What I would like to see is a more integrated store. Like MYST Wear, only let's have it on the front page of this site and maybe a tab on the subscription site. Let's have some customizable shirts where you could have the game take a picture of your avatar (or even just your favorite KI pic) and paste it on a t-shirt or other forms of merchandise. You'd still get money in, but you'd give someone something more substantial in the real world.

I have to disagree. You are speculating. The assumption that poor people can't donate is also a tad offensive. You'd be amazed by what people can do, when they love and care about something... COMPLETELY AMAZED! :) You also overlook the ability to gift.

Having been involved in the past with Tier models, outlined beautifully HERE! This has never been an area of contention.

'ALL' contention occurs around the issue of, 'does donating confer some in-game advantage over those who don't.' If donating for an in-game shirt also gave access to a special area, etc. (the way the guild shirts give access to that particular pub...) you will see contention. But just wearing a unique shirt that does nothing other than cover your torso... Sorry, never experienced what you speculate anywhere in another game community... (even the ones you'd consider far more immature than this one.)

CafePress type items and other merchandise works if the retailer isn't carrying an inventory. Virtual sales have no inventory storage until point of purchase they way real world merchandise does. You also don't have to package and ship virtual merchandise. Kingdom of Loathing also has real world merchandise. The sales of these items pale by comparison to the donations for Mr. A's (in-game items.) That paradigm, may not play out the same here... If it sets up with ease and maintaining it isn't a nightmare, go for it.

Having tasted different types of income generating models, the donation model has appealed the most to my taste. My ambrosia may be spinach to another. And what works for you Whilyam, and for me, may not work for another... and so on.

Whatever they do decide, I hope it includes more than just the subscription tier... and whatever they utilize in the early stages, it doesn't over tax man hours to set up and maintain.

My other hope, is that this whole project remain flexible. What I mean by this is, should something not work; that the course isn't locked in and unchangeable. Keep as many options open going forward.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:32 pm 

I'm glad for MORE coming soon enough and very curious about that new project! Did you say epic multi console? Artistic and full of exploration? Bring it on! :shock: + :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:03 pm 

Myst for the iPhone, sounds fun.

Now with the power of the iPhone, what with the graphics capability, 3G connection etc ... what about Uru for the iPhone ??

I've seen first hand what sega have done with super monkey ball, Uru would be a real breakthrough for the platform.

How about something you can pick up on the bus, waiting in line etc. Instead of been bored out your head, solve a puzzle or two with friends.

Don't forget that you can get wireless connections for the touch also, would be uber awsome to see.

iUru ;) :P

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next