It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:13 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:39 pm 

Hey all,

I've been listening to the TCT's latest podcast "Indefinate MORE", and while listening to them during their TCT talk portion, they were talking about how Cyan needs to give up Uru, it's over, and other stuff like that. I was so upset about the negitivity that I heard, so I decided to dump it on the forums in hopes of making myself, and hopefully many others feel better. Now if the following sounds like I'm preaching, I do apologize for it's not my intention. I feel like I just need to say what needs to be said from my point of view. EDIT: Nor is it my intention to bash TCT. ;)

I know Cyan is going through tough times right now, which as you know has caused MORE to be held indefinitly. However, I do not think, at all, that this is the end of the road for any online form of Uru. If it were, Cyan would have made it pretty clear that Uru Live won't be returning. But they didn't. They said it was put on hold, not thrown in the trash. Plus, if they were going to trash it, they might have also had this whole forum taken down, because why advertise a game that is never going to exist? It costs money, which has been very tight on Cyan lately.

Our community is very powerful, and have two major things driving us. Those things are confidence and dedication. They are confidence and dedication not only to our virtual world we love with a passion, but to Cyan as well. As Rand said, "We have the best fans in the world". There are people who have been dedicated to keeping the dream alive, myself included, by making User Created Content for Uru Complete Chronicles (GoW), and there are other dedicated to maintaining them (GoMa) We are the reason Cyan and Uru have gotten this far.

So I guess what I want to say is in the title; don't give these things up. The Confidence and Dedication that this community has towards Cyan and Uru in terms of making them work, is absolutely astounding. Cyan needs our Confidence and Dedication now more than ever. To sum it all up, I'm going to just use what I have in my signature. Don't give these things up, because when we do, that is when Cyan will truly end, and MORE will have no chance of coming.

And I dunno about you guys, but I'm not going to give up on a game and a company that I love so much.

KI#46415
KI#80658

Last edited by Jamey on Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:38 pm 

It is not logical sit around waiting for the bus to show up forever when one already knows the dispatcher has canceled the route. ;) However, I hope that Cyan can recover and be viable again. As for Uru, I fear it's probably not going to ever be a viable game without going the Ryzom route.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:24 pm 

Depends what viable means. I think the MORE route was pretty viable. Had CYAN and Turner/GT had the agreement ready in April, chanses are that MORE woud have been selfsustained now. The world is in a huge economic regression right now, many that look strong will fall. Grab on to something solid and endure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:18 pm 
Obduction Backer

I can accept that it possible the writing may be the wall as far as MORE is concerned, but I will remain optimistic and hopeful that something will happen one way or another.

Yes, Cyan has had a few knocks and there's a global downturn going on, but these things don't last forever and things will pick up sooner or later, and when they do, we'll all be heading into the Cavern.

I'm not prepared to give up on Uru, at all the time Cyan is still keeping its head above water.

:P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:32 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

I haven't listened to the recording yet, so I am responding only to your words, not the show.

When fans give up on what called them to the things they used to like, it's time for them to go - the fans, not the object of their fanaticism. I've seen an increasing amount of this, and I am reminded of little boys who destroy their toys in a final act of enjoyment when they are bored with what was so carefully crafted and given all those years ago. The destructive mentality as one departs is inexplicably selfish to those who remain and would still enjoy it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:21 pm 

Ghame wrote:
I can accept that it possible the writing may be the wall as far as MORE is concerned, but I will remain optimistic and hopeful that something will happen one way or another.

How can the writing already be on the wall if it never got it's chance in the first place? We never got MORE, and Cyan didn't say that they weren't bringing the project back, they just said it was on hold for the time being.

KI#46415
KI#80658

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:55 pm 

Thank you for this post. I had been thinking of posting something like it.

I feel and know that if we all just said "Uru is dead" it would die. The same way if we all stopped eating food we would die.
There has been doom and gloom abound lately (Isn't there always?),and gloom is contagious disease, it spreads without help.
Confidence, dedication and optimism are the medicines for this disease, but they take a little more work to spread around.

Just like anything, Uru will die if it has a disease and no medicine.
Having confidence, dedication and optimism will "cure" Uru, and that would be a big step in the direction of getting it back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:55 pm 

Oops, it said that there had been an error, so I posted again. I looked and found that it had worked the first time! Weird! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:59 pm 
Obduction Backer

Quote:
How can the writing already be on the wall if it never got it's chance in the first place?

I based that on the recent layoffs at Cyan and the fact that MORE was "on the coat tails of other projects. Unfortunately and very suddenly, a major revenue stream to Cyan was disrupted".

I will be the first one to say this is not the end of MORE, at least at this time, hence I am not giving up on it. Yes, it is on hold and I hope it doesn't stay that way for long and work resumes so we can eventually get back in.

I want it happen, I hope it happens.

But I don't think you can get away with saying it WILL happen with 100% certainty, at least not at this time. The "If or when moneys become available" line in Chogons post is an indication that the future of the Cavern may be in some doubt if these monies do not appear. I dare say from various other postings, even Cyan's future may also be in some doubt.

But I dare say Cyan have been in worse situations and I have every confidence they will ride it out and come out on top and all the things we want in the Cavern, will eventually come to pass.

Its been nearly 222 days since MOUL closure and the hopes of seeing the Cavern again were snatched away in August. After all this time, its not unexpected for people to become tired and bored of hanging around for something which may not happen and wander off to other things. (I have yet to listen to the latest TCT podcast which I have heard dwells on this point) and to be honest, it always amazes me how many people still hang around here after all this time, with no promises of a definite comeback in sight.

However, I'm one of the number who lives in hope for MORE. I will remain here and continue to wait and see if and when we get MORE, until such time as we get the official announcement that MORE is dead/Cyan is bust or anything else like this, then at that time, I shall give up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:37 pm 
Obduction Backer

I've listened to most of the podcast...I listened while I got ready for work today, so I got about two-thirds through it. I had no problem with their talk, as it is just more of what goes on here. I consider talk of open-sourcing or Cyan giving up Uru to the fans just as much a giving-up on the game as those who say it is over. It is Cyan's vision and creativity that made Uru and the Myst saga appealing to me, and I'm not ready to give up on their vision and control. I think MORE will work if and when it comes, and I'm willing to wait for it. If I am waiting in vain; well, it's not the first time nor the last time I've done it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:41 pm 
Obduction Backer

As a member of the Cavern Today team, I guess I ought to say something here. ;)

I'll admit that the TCT Talk segment for this month was something of a downer, but only because the guys were reporting and commenting on a rather depressing situation.

It really does need to be said that we produce TCT, first and foremost, because we love Uru. And a comment that I made on the TCT forum applies here... that in making comments such as those in TCT Talk, we're not being cynical, just realistic. Uru really is gone for the foreseeable future, like it or not. Personally, I'm really saddened by the closure, and I miss Uru keenly. But all the guys did with TCT Talk this time was to state the obvious, and to try to present some rational arguments for Uru's hiatus. We all sincerely hope that Uru can come back!

Mowog

Last edited by Mowog on Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:45 pm 
Creative Kingdoms

Wafna wrote:
I consider talk of open-sourcing or Cyan giving up Uru to the fans just as much a giving-up on the game as those who say it is over. It is Cyan's vision and creativity that made Uru and the Myst saga appealing to me, and I'm not ready to give up on their vision and control.

What if that open sourcing is structured in such a way that Cyan retains control over key development elements (SDKs) and total control over IP (their story and content) while they get their fair share of all revenues generated by Uru and users get to create their own content, develop the client and server software, fix bugs, and assume the cost and responsibility of running the servers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:54 pm 

I really hope you guys working for the TCT aren't offended by this whole topic, nor the following post if that's the case as it is not my intention at all :(

I just heard so many things come up during the TCT talk portion that really put a bitter taste in my mouth, such as Cyan should not work on Uru anymore, which I didn't like since I agree with Wafna. Also All the talk about the pros about other MMO's in the podcast such as WoW, Guild Wars, Second Life, etc., really didn't make Uru look much better as they pointed out the flaws that Uru had. Plus, seeing as the TCT is being shut down, I guess it makes me feel more and more like our community is dissolving away, which was exactly what I was afraid of and why this topic is here.

This is just my point of view though...

KI#46415
KI#80658

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:05 pm 
Obduction Backer

JWPlatt wrote:
What if that open sourcing is structured in such a way that Cyan retains control over key development elements (SDKs) and total control over IP (their story and content) while they get their fair share of all revenues generated by Uru and users get to create their own content, develop the client and server software, fix bugs, and assume the cost and responsibility of running the servers?

I'd have no trouble with it as you describe it. I'm just not ready to give up on MORE as it was originally proposed just because I am impatient for any form of Uru; I guess because I have this juvenile dream that it would slowly catch on as people stumbled across it, and eventually do well enough to enable Cyan to start to introduce small changes and inklings of story. Which would start to generate buzz and maybe a little more income which would allow a little more change and story and hopefully start to snowball from there. :)

Edit:
Oh, I am re-listening to old TCT podcasts (Where are 1-3 ?, and I can't seem to find one other, either. Is it 7 or 8 ?) and it really makes for bittersweet listening.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:17 pm 
Obduction Backer

Location: First trailer to the right, and straight down till morning.
I have to say that TCT is currently one of the highlights of my month. It has been a source of hope for me, by serving as a reminder that the community, despite Uru's current status, if vibrant and health. So much of the of Uru is the community and as long as that part is alive, Uru is not dead. Really, I just think of myself as an Uruite in exile.

Really, biggest concern after hearing the latest episode was that it sounded like they were loosing hope. And if hope is gone, why make a podcast for it? And if the TCT goes, the community will have been dealt a huge blow, and Uru will die even more. :cry:

My only message to the TCT crew is, don't give up. I love your show and very much hope you guys continue to produce those wonderful podcasts. I look forward to each and every new episode with baited iTunes subscription. :)