It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:57 am

All times are UTC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:20 am 

Glad to hear the TCT pod casts are going into suspension rather than end and never coming back type of thing. We are all waiting in our own ways and it will take time. The casts have been great and I am sure they will be great again in the future when MOUL comes back. Thanks for eveyrone sharing And I agree with Everything that JWPlatt said, also.

"We Build Worlds"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 1:53 am 

For those who haven't listened to the podcast, I'm sorry I'm spoiling a bit of it for you, but this is planned to be our second to last podcast. Topside 5 debuting in December will mark the end of TCT until something URU comes forth again. To be accurate, we could've ended with Topside 4, but I believe in propriety and it was just not enough notice to plan a proper podcast.

I've been the leader of The Cavern Today pretty much since Podcast 20. I did somewhat concede my position at a certain point, but I still remain instrumental in the project. While we do vote on things and such, it has been to a great degree my will that has kept the wheels rolling at TCT. To give a bit of insider information, I set hard rules such as "it's in by such and such date, or it's not in the podcast" to help encourage timely podcast production. I always set a Saturday for assembly so I can review it Sunday and we can get it launched by Monday. Some podcasts come up short on runtime and on content because of this resolve, but the regularity is maintained. It's sort of the same way I am in my personal life... I can't work in a cluttered space or without some kind of deadline (by a date or by a certain time that day), as it gives me that focus and a way to set proper pacing.

In the same vein, what has been noted here is that the community is gradually falling apart and those ripples echo across it's various fan projects including The Cavern Today. Without more staff interested in prolonging the project, we simply cannot continue, and even if we continued . . . to what end? Myst as a news source and a community source is drying up. In addition, those still on the project are really losing heart / faith. As I sort of hinted at in the scripting for Topside 4, I want us to go out on a high note like Presto with Myst III, not drag things out until the very bitter end that it seems Cyan did with URU. I say "did" because it seems all is lost in the realm of URU. Until something positive pops up in the realm of URU, TCT will be signing off, but with a content packed podcast, not a constant rehashing of already well fleshed out tidbits.

So much of what we do is not unlike Cyan... we have dreams, and then we temper them with reality. In the end, reaching that far has taken the project to new heights many didn't imagine in the beginning. I hope you like what we've continued to produce and I hope you like our holiday extravaganzas, because Topside 5 coming in December will be just such a podcast. It'll be sad for the ending, but it will be a joyous celebration of community and unity. We will also have a few stalwarts return for this last hurrah, so stay tuned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:36 am 

First things first Shivy=Jeff Wise (I contribute music regularly to the TCT Podcasts and am proud to be a part of their production, as well as having formerly written several articles for the TCT Archiver publication).

The Cavern Today has long been one of my favorite podcasts to listen to each month. I started listening to it early on (around episode 10ish). Eventually I gathered the courage to step up and contribute to it. It wasn't until I started to get more involved in the production of the podcast that I realized how much work it is, and how incredible it is that so many people from disparate backgrounds and talents were coming together to rally the Uru community behind the game we all love and support.

It's sad to know that Uru's been put in cryogenic freeze, and there is a possibility it might never come back. Even so, I felt dismayed by our own podcast, TCT Topside 4. It seemed so negative, and hopeless.

After listening to it, and understanding that the TCT team was going to rally to make TCT 5 our biggest and best podcast ever, I decided I would do everything I can to keep it ending on a hopeful note. In the end, we all want Uru to come back. Pessimist or Optimist, it's still a possibility. But as Mowog and Jnathus have chimed in, it's tough to make an Uru podcast when you just don't have anymore Uru to talk about...

That said, I hope you'll all join us when TCT Topside 5 is released. It's going to be something special, I guarantee it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:29 pm 

I'm not getting tired of MOUL because I don't put a lot of energy into it. Getting tired of waiting? so, there's a lot of waiting. But I'm just checking the forums. It's not THAT hard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:54 am 

Mowog wrote:
But since I recorded that piece, a funny thing happened... I played Uru ABM again. And after getting used to SL, the worlds of Uru looked simply magnificent in comparison... to the point where I can't get all that excited about going back to SL, even though I know I should. There are plenty of good people there, but it's just not Uru. ...

Well put, Mowog.

My investment in the Uru online community in exile lies more in There, where again the community has been creative in building reminders and echoes of Myst and Uru ages.

But the real thing, with its interactivity and beauty and cohesion, in the Uru:CC ages (and I include some explorer-made ages here) is what draws me. If only the KI would work properly and I could talk to my friends across the ages. <sigh>

Jamey wrote:
I've been working very hard with the Guild of Writers, who are making amazing progress. I hope the guilds may help keep others together as well. ;)

My sentiments too, Jamey. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:25 pm 

Dot wrote:
But the real thing, with its interactivity and beauty and cohesion, in the Uru:CC ages (and I include some explorer-made ages here) is what draws me. If only the KI would work properly and I could talk to my friends across the ages. <sigh>

Can't we build a KI server. :)
U know! Log on to URU KI and chat through the KI when playing CC.
NO! Maybe that would increase the sense of emptiness?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:49 am 

Rudolfson wrote:
Maybe that would increase the sense of emptiness?

No, I don't think so, Rudolfson -- at least for those of us who like to explore ages on our own but still keep in touch with other explorers, and maybe see from the KI list where they are.

I remember many happy conversations in MOUL with friends where we were each in our separate Reltos. What you suggested wouldn't be much different from that.

(Umm, what might that say about me and my friends?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:07 pm 

Actually, Given that the KI interface CAN be changed via the game files, it is entirely possible... :shock:

KI#46415
KI#80658

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:50 pm 

You are right. It would be great fun.
:lol:
OK! Call me a geek. It is now official. I'd install XP and buy CC the instant that I could live chat thru the game KI. See from what age my buddies are talking. Real chat scares me. I have no excuse for not answering all the time. But then I could say, sorry I'm bissi kicking baskets down the waterfall. Plus I'd have myself to look at, and URU etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:54 pm 

*loses confidence and dedication*

Dag Nabbit!

Naw, Uncle Phil, I'm jus' joshin' yas.

~The Fresh Pants of Bel Air

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:38 pm 

Rudolfson, geeks are VERY welcome over at GoMa. ;)

Jamey wrote:
Actually, Given that the KI interface CAN be changed via the game files, it is entirely possible... :shock:

I guess any discussion of 'how' needs to take place elsewhere. Care to continue over on GoMa? The potential this would give for coordinating age inspections would be great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:23 pm 

Dot wrote:
Rudolfson, geeks are VERY welcome over at GoMa. ;)

Jamey wrote:

I guess any discussion of 'how' needs to take place elsewhere. Care to continue over on GoMa? The potential this would give for coordinating age inspections would be great!

Can Cyan update the KI in Uru CC to a Chat room?

E=mc2
Energy = Milk x Coffee Squared

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:16 pm 

Thanks, Karkadahn, Jamey and Rudolfson.

I've started a discussion on KI chat over in the Technical section of the GoMa forum.