It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:21 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:49 pm 

I don't post here much, i read a lot of what is said, and I hope that will not color this post and that people will kindly here me out.

I, like many, had hope that URU would come back and that I could play it again. I don't play MMOs or PC games much if at all anymore and only looked forward to if/when URU would be back. Needless to say I was not shocked, maybe disappointed, not surprised when I heard that is got yanked again. That the chances of it coming back at all seem slim.

This got me to thinking about not only URU as an MMO but the whole of the Myst universe and why it just does not can not seem to work online. I mean it has a compelling and thoroughly original enough story, characters, and visual impact to match any of the games currently out there but yet it falls short all the time. why?

For me I believe I see this as a coupling of two things, scope and ability. As much as I love URU it is limiting in how new people can get into the story and it is only defined by that part of the story. It does not take all of the Myst lore into to create a who universe, it needs scope. The game needs to take not only from URU but from all of the Myst games to create a vast online world that players would want to explore. I am not talking depth, cause the game has that in spades, I am talking in the online world/environment it needs scope. And as much as players would not want to happen, it needs to change how it delivers that content and scope to the masses. I mean if you have to create a better HUB or and online map or staging areas where people could select which part of the story/universe they want to go to, then well you just might have too. Its not about diluting the concept of Myst (not how I see the interface in my head with a star field and floating Islands, but I am crazy/romantic like that) but tweaking it slightly so that the ground on which they produce is vast enough and somewhat easy enough for people of all knowledge, or lack there of, of Myst to play. Right now the game is too esoteric for the general audience. Yes, I know that is what makes it extra special but also what keeps people and their moola from filling Cyan's coffers.

The other aspect is ability. Does Cyan have the ability to not only run basic URU, which has proven it can't surive, or a new Myst online game with more scope? That I am not sure. I believe the game needs to be rebooted from the ground up, which seems to be a popular idea these days, rebooting stuff. Maybe just maybe Cyan/Myst could benefit from that. Could you imaging what Myst today would look like given all the new tech? A reimagined Myst to me would not be a bad thing plus the ability to have that in an online for or over consul would be a plus. I think its sad that Cyan is trying to shoehorn Myst with all its dated looks unto everything, i.e. DS and iPhone, and I realize why they are doing I just wish they wouldn't. Which again, sorry for that slightly off topic drift, back to ability. Could Cyan benefit from outsourcing? Yes, I think they could. I am not talking about selling Myst or the rights or the idea but giving someone outside the company the property to create the online experiences that we want. MMOs are big money right now, even in this economy, just look at the sales figures for the latest expansion pack for WOW and you will see this. And in the right hands with the right marketing the game could very well go far. Now many of you are saying , no no no, and bemoaning my suggestion but in the highly competitive online world where is the option? Outsourcing or leasing the story of Myst to the right company such as Bethesda or Valve could put Myst not only in a new light but back on the map.

It may not be the ideal but Myst itself is over 20 years old and URU is only getting older by the minute, comparative terms to technology and graphics etc... and as much as we loved it and wanted it to work it just never did. Its time for a new direction, a new Myst and new era of the game. It needs to rebuilt from the ground up not holding on to what was. If the idea and story of Myst is to survive it has to be progressive and competitive with what is happening today not what happened 6 (URU) and 20+ (Myst) years ago. I think there is hope if we reimagine the dream/ idea of Myst.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:01 pm 

Well, it's like I said in an earlier post. Cyan needs to re-image Uru for the Xbox / PS3 markets. That way the game could take advantage of the online nature of the respective networks, but would also free up Cyan from having to actually run the game - they could let MSN or Sony take care of that part, They could then concentrate on providing updates for a fee. But, alas, I fear that it could be too late for any of that to happen. If this economic 'downturn' gets any worse, I wouldn't be surprised to hear Cyan is gone for good. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:19 pm 
Obduction Backer

poutrew wrote:
Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised to hear Cyan is gone for good.

I'm sorry, but I have a gut feeling that URU, in some form, will exist again....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:55 pm 

I agree that out-sourcing (whether to the fans or to an outside company) is probably the best idea and I think Cyan's been trying to do that with MORE. If you look at the times Cyan out-sourced the Myst series, you'll see they looked extraordinarily good (perhaps because of a high bar to meet with Cyan). Myst III and IV were both touted as the best in the series as well as being the ones that modernized the games.

Personally, I think Cyan should focus more on a new game rather than continue with Myst. The new game concept Cyan has involving exploration sounds like a great idea. Of course, I'd also enjoy a new version of Myst done in higher quality than realMYST was. If the game had more areas added to the point where it felt like there was really another game to it instead of the same one with new graphics, I think that might sell fairly well. To do so, though, Cyan's going to need to get back the talent it had during Riven and more than a little luck to get a deal in the current economic environment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:30 am 

I'd also be happy if Cyan took a new direction.

I'm still curious as to this weird idea Cyan supposedly is sitting on... ...The Lattice Project? ...or something like that?

...and depending on how things go, open sourcing Uru or whatever doesn't sound like a terrible idea. Strangely, there's no doubt in my mind that if it comes to that, Cyan will do it. It's been done with other games.

Though, my guess is, that when and if the economy improves, Cyan will go ahead with their MORE idea, and it hasn't gotten that dire.

~Joey Forbesenhauer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:14 am 
Obduction Backer

Joey Zoonishii wrote:
... and it hasn't gotten that dire.

From 57 folks to 7 folks seems pretty dire.

It's probably somewhere else but I'm lazy. Does anyone know who the seven survivors are and what their specialties are?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:24 am 
Obduction Backer

Location: Digging around in the dusty archives, uncovering Uru history.
Joey Zoonishii wrote:
I'm still curious as to this weird idea Cyan supposedly is sitting on... ...The Lattice Project? ...or something like that?

I had to smile when I read this as I immediately envisioned a "KI" (chat) system whereby the Uru community could communicate with each other from one game or chat system to another. That would be awesome. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:44 am 

Tai'lahr wrote:
Joey Zoonishii wrote:

I had to smile when I read this as I immediately envisioned a "KI" (chat) system whereby the Uru community could communicate with each other from one game or chat system to another. That would be awesome. :D

At some conferences I've attended this year, there's actually apparently been preliminary meetings and discussions in the industry about some manner of "open avatar" standard that would allow people to cross their avatars over to other systems. This has nothing to do with the Lattice thing, of course... It just came to mind when you mentioned that.

Shorahmin wrote:
Joey Zoonishii wrote:
... and it hasn't gotten that dire.

From 57 folks to 7 folks seems pretty dire.

It's probably somewhere else but I'm lazy. Does anyone know who the seven survivors are and what their specialties are?

...well, perhaps, although a similar situation existed post-Myst V or such as I recall? Not that I know anything.

~Joesterfine Melonballerski

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:50 am 
Creative Kingdoms

Joey Zoonishii wrote:
...well, perhaps, although a similar situation existed post-Myst V or such as I recall?

That would be what Tai'lahr was talking about in another thread with something which is somehow reminiscent of a speech by Bilbo Baggins I once read about things being confusingly halfses and twices:

Tai'lahr wrote:
I'd just like to point out that Cyan had only TWO employees just before they got the deal with Gametap to make MOUL and right now, they have FOUR. So, things are only HALF as bad as they were then, so maybe something TWICE as good will happen this time.

I'm not just being optimistic. The fact is anything can happen. Believe it!

http://www.mystonline.com/forums/viewto ... 294#275294

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:00 am 

Once again, people ask to throw everything away, and start from the begining.

Here's what I think about that:

Cyan Worlds need to (slowly) get on their feet again, without Myst products (including MOUL). And I'm not talking about "Hex Island". I'm talking about another direction. Something different. Something which could actually be selling in today's market.

And back to MOUL: I believe a complete reboot is not needed. What I think is needed, however:

Better Cyan Worlds content, updated to ubisoft-time quality. (updates to corrent content, better upcoming content, also more costumization features, hair styles, shirts, pants, face features, whatnot).

Better story-telling (no episodes, "MOUL events last month" video in-game, several orgenized events, many unannounced events, events everyday, better acting characters, more player involvment).

Side-choosing (follow yeesha through the cleft, or the DRC through the tunnels to d'ni).

Updated technical-side (new effects, better server stability, better shaders, and graphics as a whole).

Fan content.

I will wait for an update about Cyan Worlds.

Here's an idea I have for MOUL- leveling system. But not the numbers leveling system. Experience leveling, good ol' myst style (after all, MOUL IS all about experience). You begin as a "New Explorer". The more you experience (seeing the ahnonay sphere's rotate, playing the wall...), the higher you get to. There will be, after "New Explorer"- "Wondering Explorer", "Learning Explorer", and after you pass all the expriences levels (I don't know, 50? 100? still gotta find names...) , you are a "Mastering Explorer".

Last edited by ThedStranger on Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:19 pm 

The stranger wrote:
Cyan Worlds need to (slowly) get on their feet again, without Myst products (including MOUL). And I'm not talking about "Hex Island". I'm talking about another direction. Something different. Something which could actually be selling in today's market.

Well, yes, but this is really the trick, isn't it? Any company on the face of the earth is looking for "something that could actually be selling in today's market". It's not as simple a charge as you're making it out to be.

Look at what IS selling in today's market. I just read an article which showed that Nintendo's Wii is beating out all other consoles combined! There are all manner of bizarre, online game things where people create their own little world or something... What the heck does that mean for "something that could actually be selling in today's market"? What's selling in "today's market" is really whacked-out stuff compared to what people consider to be the traditional well-selling game. (Can you say "Animal Crossing"? I mean, sheeeeeeesh.)

If there's some magic formula for creating something "which could actually be selling in today's market", please tell ME what it is... I'm sure there are TONS of people out there who are dying to know. Write a book about it. I can guarantee you that book would be something "which could actually be selling in today's market"!

Your argument boils down to:

Step 1: Make amazing new game that will sell millions! (Why didn't we think of this before!)
Step 2: Collect massive profits
Step 3: Make Uru the best game ever!

...any of your ideas following this are almost wholly irrelevant. I think Cyan, being a team of very creative folks, would come up with far superior ideas if they had the resources and license to make these sort of "blue sky" things happen.

Heck, I don't mean to sound like a snob, but Cyan had all manner of "blue sky" ideas for Uru a while back that sounded far more interesting than anything you just suggested. They wanted to give us riding beasts for gosh sakes. Give me my riding beast!

~Joey Bluntobjectface

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:00 pm 

"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latus_(game)" :)

I don't know why BBCode hates Wikipedia links so much...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:12 pm 

That's why Stranger is 16, and you are problaby not, Joey :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:24 pm 

Sophia wrote:
That's why Stranger is 16, and you are problaby not, Joey :wink:

Well, some things need to be said. :wink:

~Chowdown Jack

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:50 pm 

Quote:
That's why Stranger is 16, and you are problaby not, Joey

Not exactly, around, but whatever :P .

Quote:
Well, yes, but this is really the trick, isn't it?

Yep.

Quote:
It's not as simple a charge as you're making it out to be.

Did I EVER say "simple"? it's just my "pie in the sky" ideas, nothing much realistic. It CAN be done- but it won't be easy at all. Never said easy.

Quote:
If there's some magic formula for creating something "which could actually be selling in today's market", please tell ME what it is

Not JUST exploration. Themes which considered selling in today's world. Larger, open world. Other things, not Myst related or console game. Maybe even some shooting or swords or whatever! (however, as long as they keep their own special "thing"- interesting world and storyline. We don't want Cyan Worlds to be "just another FPS company", after all!).

NOT easy, but possible.

Quote:
...any of your ideas following this are almost wholly irrelevant.

Quote me, please. If I EVER said "THEY CAN DO THAT RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!", shame on me.

Quote:
Heck, I don't mean to sound like a snob, but Cyan had all manner of "blue sky" ideas for Uru a while back that sounded far more interesting than anything you just suggested. They wanted to give us riding beasts for gosh sakes. Give me my riding beast!

Try to think out of the box. You want riding beasts? riding beasts it is!

That would count as "better content". You don't actually suppose I gonna tell you every little thing I want, right?

Beside, what I said is, in some way or another, exactly what Cyan Worlds wanted. Better content? better story-telling? better techincal-things? who DOESN'T want that? :P

Specifically, it's different. But I didn't talk specifically.